The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Default Cheap, but great sounding crossover acoustic/electric

Hi all,

Suggestions for a cheap-ish nylon acoustic/electtric that sounds great plugged in? I won't use it a lot, but will do some fingerstyle with it at my church plugged in.

I've been considering the Taylor Academy and the Breedlove Pursuit. I like the Breedlove's price point. I want a 1 7/8" radiused fretboard and electronics.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM

Please define your "cheap-ish" price range. What's cheap for some is an expensive guitar for others.

The Taylor's are built like tanks similar to their steel strings. They're not what I'd personally recommend for playing nylon. They're overbuilt for their intended use.. It's almost like Taylor simply changed the saddle and bridge on standard models to use nylon strings.

Breedlove's have been inconsistent for me. Some sounded good when I tried them and other's dead.

Personally, since you say that you are playing amplified, I'd suggest the Yamaha or Cordoba crossover's.

But, be aware that the Yamaha's sound like their stuffed with a towel when playing acoustically.

Cordoba's sound great acoustically & amplified.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM

$500...? $700 tops...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM

If you're really about playing it plugged in, I'd look at a Godin Encore.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Here is a video of my Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkpQOWpoeU

The guitar has electronics, but I'm not using them here. I'm using the iRig Acoustic transducer you see clipped to the sound hole. The only post-processing done on the signal was to add reverb, so this will give you a good idea of what the Cordoba crossovers sound like unplugged.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM

I was going to suggest the Godin's too until I saw the OP's price range. I haven't seen many Godin's for sale in the Op's $500 - 700 tops range on CL or Reverb.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you're really about playing it plugged in, I'd look at a Godin Encore.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I acquired a Taylor Academy used and am more than pleased with it’s plugged in performance. Try one plugged in a I think you’ll be surprised. Even my local well regarded Taylor dealer was taken aback at how good they sound plugged in.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 PM

Thanks, everyone. I do like the Córdoba sound from the video clip. I have been thinking seriously about Godins. They are a little above my price range, but they would be great to practice fingerstyle in the house quietly and to play at church plugged in. I do like the look of the Taylor Academy. And thank you, I will keep Yamahas off my list because I don’t want something heavy and that doesn’t sound great unplugged.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a Cordoba fusion maple, used under $400. Sounds great acoustic or amplified. The spruce/maple makes it pretty bright, but I like that. Would recommend you try a couple of the wood combos. String selection is important, I found it really needed carbon.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 AM

I've got a Godin Duet that comes in extremely handy for quiet practice early in the morning while my wife is sleeping. It's great plugged in as well.

I've found myself grabbing the Godin to also practice quietly while watching TV. Mostly working on perfecting left hand fingerings or jazz chord changes.

But my primary guitar is my Cordoba.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarymusic View Post
Thanks, everyone. I do like the Córdoba sound from the video clip. I have been thinking seriously about Godins. They are a little above my price range, but they would be great to practice fingerstyle in the house quietly and to play at church plugged in. I do like the look of the Taylor Academy. And thank you, I will keep Yamahas off my list because I don’t want something heavy and that doesn’t sound great unplugged.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

As Waterboy mentioned, the Cordobas come in quite a few wood combinations, including Cedar tops, Spruce tops, Maple tops, and even Rosewood tops. Lots of back/side choices too. The model in my video is Spruce over Indian Rosewood or as they call it; SP/IN

Also,
Fusion series have a 48mm nut
GK series have a 50mm nut

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 PM

I have been a BIG fan of Alvarez YAIRI nylon string models. You can go online and do YouTube search for Yairi guitars and see how they are made, make that HANDMADE in the shops. Nice mellow, full sound in those middle to upper end models for what should run you around $5-700.

Too many guitars...not enough time! Good luck and keep us posted on your search.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Cool Good bang for $ in Yairi models

I would take a look at Alvarez YAIRI nylon string models with electronics and cut-away. Should run you $5-750 and DEALS out there in used guitar marketplace.
Check out a YouTube search online for the YAIRI guitars and you can take a look at the shops in Japan where the guitars are HAND made.

Good luck with your search.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
Here is a video of my Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro...
Aloha Gary. I'm on the same hunt as OP. I have centered on the Cordoba because of your video. THANKS!

By the way, even though the pickup's contol panel is labelled "Cordoba", I *think* this pickup is actually the Fishman Presys Blend -- with a under-saddle piezo plus a built-in mic, with a control for mic blend. Am I correct?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM

I spent a few weeks trying out different crossover guitars at your price point. I was more interested in the acoustic sound than the pickup sound. I was surprised to find that the taylor academy was hands down the best sounding of the inexpensive crossovers acoustically. I am NOT a taylor fan at all, but I am very much enjoying this guitar,. I believe the cordoba, with which I was comparing it, had a dual mic/pickup system and more eq etc on the built in preamp, and that taylor has only piezo. So, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely try to find someplace to try them (I went to Gryphon in Palo Alto). But if that is not possible, and you care mostly about the ampllified sound, then the Cordoba may be a better bet. The only concern with the dual mic/piezo set up is feedback sensitivity, as mics are really much more prone to feedback.

I have been reading that more manufacturers/luthiers are making crossovers, I saw a buscarino for like 10 grand. It is the next stage for boomers with aging hands!

enjoy!

Froggy Bottom Small Jumbo Cutaway Deluxe Adi over EI Rosewood
1954 Gibson L12
2004 Bourgeois Soloist Engelmann and Brazilian Rosewood
Voyage Air VA OM 06
New World Nylon String Crossover

Reverend Club King P90
Reverend Club King Humbucker
Reverend Buckshot

And a Ken Parker Archtop in process!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical