The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Why is there a big price difference between the 414ce and 514ce

A friend of mine is shopping for a Taylor cut-away and informed me that between the 414ce and 514ce there is a big price difference. I was suprised at the difference in price considering the guitars are pretty much the same except the wood...but $XXX wow.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM

The old timers (I'm not one) will tell you it's because anything below a 5xx series isn't a real Taylor.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM

oh c'mon now. Its anything below a 3xx that is not a real Taylor
Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 PM

One is a 400, one is a 500. That's really the only difference, you can brag to friends about the 500. Just kidding, regardless of woods, I have always been able to hear a difference between series, the 400's always sound smoother to me. Is the bracing the same too?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Cool

Actually I must be an oldtimer because while I have played the occassional 400 series Taylor that has a good sound there is a big leap in sound with the 500 - 900 series. Don't believe me? go play a Baby or a 100 series. They are just not what I think of as Taylor quality and for what they charge you can get better sounding guitars from other companies for the same amount. Guitars like the 514 are very distinctive and many believe to be one of the signature Taylor models. The combination of mahogany and cedar gives a sound that lends itslef to both fingerpicking and celtic tunings as well as any guitar made. For me their best Dreds are the 710s (maybe brazilian) Pick up a 710, a 310 and a 410 and a-b-c them, there IS a big difference.
JPB
Old 10-25-2006, 11:20 PM

The gloss finish is a very factor in the price difference. Less appointments is also another factor.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 PM
ParaDoolingon Fan

cause 514's are way cooler = P

Larrivee C-10 Koa Genie Wendy Inlay, 1992 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe, Custom Warmoth Stratocaster.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Guitar Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelbackCinema View Post
The gloss finish is a very factor in the price difference. Less appointments is also another factor.
I agree with this. On some of the 400 LTDS, there were gloss finishes with rosewood, and these were as nice as the 500's, some even better.

However, the stock 400's with ovangkol, as beautiful as it is, does not quite measure up soundwise to the 500's and above, in my opinion. I bought a 414ce in satin ovangkol once, to use as my carry-all guitar, and ended up returning it after a week due to the lack of bass response in comparison to what I was used to in the higher end Taylors.

Even so, I think some of the ovangkol Taylors are truly beautiful. I have always wished they would do these one year in a gloss finish. I still might be tempted to buy one if they did (without a pickguard).
Old 10-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelbackCinema View Post
And there you have it.

Oh...and to the person who said a 110 doesn't live up to other Taylors...I have a 110 that will rival any 310 out there for playability and sound. No, it's not all solid wood, but it plays just as well as any other Taylor I have and any of the Taylors I no longer have. It's just as much a Taylor as any other.

IMHO, of course.

I also had one of the original 110s from some years ago (a friend of my daughter has it now) and it also sounded as good as any other Taylor. She thinks it's the greatest guitar in the world.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 AM

Just another opinion - I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but the 500 series and up just seem to be more refined in tone and appearance. Having said that, I have played some great 300 and 400 series Taylors that I wouldn't mind including in my arsenal if finances permitted. Gloss finishes and wood bindings will definitely figure into the price points here.

1997 Taylor Cujo 14 (RED cedar/BLACK walnut)
1999 Larrivee OM 10K (sitka spruce/reserve koa)
2001 Taylor 514e (engelmann spruce/mahogany)
2003 Taylor Pelican-LTD (sitka spruce/myrtlewood)
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 AM

While opinions vary as to tonal superiority, one reason for the added expense
is the amount of time and labor required to produce a good gloss finish. There
are more steps involved. The surfaces have to be better prepared to provide
a good gloss finish. A satin finish can help hide surfaces as it is more forgiving
for surfaces that aren't as smooth, or have small imperfections.

What are some of the best sounding Taylors I've played? An 814, and a stock
414. What are some of the most underwhelming? A 914c and a 414ce.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:13 AM

Now that the revoicing has finally been extended to the 300 and 400 series, the premium prices commanded by the 500 series and up are mainly down to appointments - notably sunburst and colour finishes, which are no-surcharge options, but also the gloss finish, fancier inlays and the like. On the 500 series and up you can also do a bit more customization at no extra cost, such as changing the top wood from spruce to cedar or vice versa.

Richard
Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 AM

I have an '03 414ce with rosewood back and sides, satin finish, ES, and bone nut and saddle. A very nice guitar that plays wondefully and sounds great. My '02 514ce beats it hands down. Not sure if it's the wood combination, the finish, or both but it just plays like "buttah" and has tone like a dream. A bone nut and FWI saddle may also have a part but I love this one to death. Just an absolutely sweet guitar.

The 514ce is also one of the best selling models in the Taylor line. Perhaps popularity and demand have a part in the pricing?

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinds View Post
A friend of mine is shopping for a Taylor cut-away and informed me that between the 414ce and 514ce there is a big price difference. I was suprised at the difference in price considering the guitars are pretty much the same except the wood...but $XXX wow.
First, the wood IS a big deal - it is after all an acoustic guitar. Also, consider the gloss finish, gold tuners, real rosette, upgraded case - there's a reason more people pony up the extra cash for the 514.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
The old timers (I'm not one) will tell you it's because anything below a 5xx series isn't a real Taylor.
I don't know if I qualify as an old timer but that is a bunch of [edit: he disagrees]. Even the Baby Taylors are real Taylors.

Last edited by cotten; 10-27-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: AGF Rule 1: Be Nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion