The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Any Strymon fans?

I have really been loving their pedals, though they certainly are not cheap! I have a Big Sky Reverb, an El Capistan delay, and just picked up a Sunset dual overdrive. I have other pedals that do the same things (for the most part) but I'm just loving the tones I get from these! Also a big fan of Earthquaker pedals.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:28 PM

I love my BigSky! I'd like to try a GFI System Specular Tempus sometime.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Hey Todd, I've never played Strymon before and I avoid them only because I think if I played one I would have to have one, lol. Seriously though I'm not avoiding them.

$$$ but from what I've read great quality and tone.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Todd, I've never played Strymon before and I avoid them only because I think if I played one I would have to have one, lol. Seriously though I'm not avoiding them.

$$$ but from what I've read great quality and tone.
Dru, no doubt about the cost!! I have had to spread these purchases out over time. They are not cheap! But I think they are worth it. Great tone!
Old 03-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I'm saving up for a Strymon Flint pedal. Love the sound of the harmonic tremolo.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

...I have a Flint and an El Cap on my board....pretty much covers all my ambient needs..and then some....although I wouldn’t mind adding a Lex....
Old 03-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I like Strymon pedals, but I have to remember that they are $300 a pop. I don't play electric guitar enough to warrant the price of admission, especially when there are lots of great pedals under $150 everywhere.
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender American Professional Telecaster

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

My next pedal may very well be a Flint. They seem pretty dang awesome!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Fortunately, the kids are grown and guitar is my only obsession. I have a primarily Strymon board, for mostly electric but occasionally acoustic. I play lead in a worship band so its usually a "house" setup rather than amps. To tweak that sound I've been blown away by the possibilities of the new Strymon Iridium. Its my final part of a chain that includes an OB.1, Riverside, Timeline , Big Sky, and Ola, all powered by their Zuma power source. I run things through a Red Eye and also have an ElectroHarmonix Hum Debugger to make life easier. I can't say enough about Strymon gear. I've tried a couple other approaches and the Strymon path has just been seamless. I recommend it highly, in spite of the price.

-jay
'19 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-15-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I don't have any personally but I know a few people who swear by them
Am I correct in understanding they typically require a lot of mA's power comparatively ?

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-15-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I am not aware of that Kevin. I use a standard power supply (Voodoo Labs).
Old 03-15-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am not aware of that Kevin. I use a standard power supply (Voodoo Labs).
It will/should, state the mA (milliamps) power draw or functional requirements in the users manual in the power specs section along with power volts spec. (usually 9v but some up to 18v)

Your power supply should in the manual also have a total mA's output number, or mA's per connection specs. typically 1000 for better multi connection units
Your power supply should be capable of outputting a good deal more than the total combined draw of all your pedals, with double being considered ideal.

This is something worth investigating especially if you have a lot of pedals and or a number of digital pedals .

Analog pedals typically can draw as few as 12-15 mA's up to 40 or 50 sometimes more

For example my MRX Carbon Copy Analog draws 26 mA
My EHX Neo Clone analog chorus draws 12 mA

Digital FX tend to draw more.
My EHX Oceans 11 digital reverb requires 150 mA

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Strymon certainly makes incredible pedals, especially in the delay and reverb department, but now days, I think Line 6 and other modeler get you 90% there. I am playing a Helix LT right now and can get all the ambient wash I need from it. I suspect Strymon is better, pedal by pedal, but I doubt my audience notices.
Home Built "Cusstone" 18 Watt Plexi.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-15-2020, 07:03 PM

I have a Strymon Decco. I use it with my Lap steel guitar to play mostly bluesy stuff and also with my 1996 G&L ASAT that I recently acquired. Mostly I play acoustic and the Decco is my only pedal. I also use a Princeton Reverb from the early 70's. I like the Saturation side mostly. To me the saturation sounds like some overdrive/distortion. The other side of the Decco has chorus and slap back capability which works well, though I don't use it much. I don't really need or use other pedals. Admittedly my experience is rather limited but I think the Decco is quite versatile.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I have the El Capistan and love it. I have separate reverb and delay pedals as well but honestly never use them, in fact, I just removed them to clear up space on my board. I have looking for a rotary effects pedal and have considered the lex but holding off. I don't need stereo out and am concerned about its power draw. I have to limit the number of power-hungry pedals on my board. I am waiting on a Neo Micro Vent but they have gotten delayed due to this coronavirus situation

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars