The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Two amp Wet/dry rig -pedals-more GAS, in the Covid era.

Like some others here I was Acoustic only for decades, (some 47 years ) and 4 years ago this coming November, I decided to get back into electric guitar I had not touched since the late 60's .

Over those 4 years I have now acquired two nice amps , some 4 FX pedals, plus tuner, and loop, pedals,,,, I am seriously considering a Wet/Dry two amplifier "Rig"

Hopefully this will be informative for anybody that does not know about wet/dry or does and wants more info and or to exchange thoughts and ideas ...

What with the self imposed stay at home situation. I am in a fairly extensive research and planning mode , which started in fall but has escalated in the Post Covid Era (PCE) .

Like all things guitar and gear there is vast range of options in a vast range of price points. Like everyoneI do not want to "waste" money BUT I am willing to spend more for build quality and function.

Some of this thread will contain some factors that have come up in other posts

So here is what looking at:

Gig Rig Quartermaster QMX 8 ( 8 FX loop isolated relay switching unit )
Gig Rig ABY Baby (ABY switching with ground isolation and phase reversal)

Possibly also Gig Rigs modular (expandable) power supply system.

Also I will be getting a new pedal board and possibly a new looper .

For this OP I will conclude with a fairly extensive hour long video specially about choosing amps for a wet/dry rig and a bit about (why a wet/dry ?) by two guys who are big proponents .

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Very informative video Kev. I had my headphones on the whole time. Beautiful, dreamy sound. Thank you for posting it.

If I were a younger man the idea of running a stereo rig would have been enticing, to say the least. I guess for recording in place it would sound wonderful and huge.
For performances, too much gear to be hustling around.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...For performances, too much gear to be hustling around...
Same here - I've always been an old-school guitar-cable-amp guy anyway (usually a Gretsch and Bugera in one combination or another these days), and once I get beyond built-in trem/verb/OD I lose nuances of touch...
Old 03-31-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very informative video Kev. I had my headphones on the whole time. Beautiful, dreamy sound. Thank you for posting it.

If I were a younger man the idea of running a stereo rig would have been enticing, to say the least. I guess for recording in place it would sound wonderful and huge.
For performances, too much gear to be hustling around.
Thanks, for just a bit of clarification (and I realize you are using the term "stereo" generically as in two sources of sound from two amps ) However in terms of two amp guitar rigs there is a distinction (sonically) between a stereo rig and a wet dry rig ( don't know if they talk about it in that video, they do do go into the difference in one of their videos)

In a nut shell Generally speaking:
A "stereo" rig, requires at least one stereo pedal and both amps are outputting the wet signals .
A wet/dry rig, only one amp is outputting the wet signal and no stereo pedals are needed

As far as more gear no question, but if you already use a pedal board, then the additional unit of gear to haul, is one more amp
Fortunaltely for me I don't gig much at all anymore.

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-31-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Same here - I've always been an old-school guitar-cable-amp guy anyway (usually a Gretsch and Bugera in one combination or another these days), and once I get beyond built-in trem/verb/OD I lose nuances of touch...
Yes indeed certainly a valid view, And there is lot to said for the audiophile concept of " straight wire with gain" as true today, as it was back in the day of McIntosh and Phase Linear

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

While researching this I stumbled on this free pedal board configuration application, which has a bunch of boards and pedals that you can match up to configure the size layout order, etc.

https://www.pedalplayground.com

Here is what I came up with (while the lists are extensive they do not have every current offering from every mfg. so I substituted some similar sized pedals

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Oh, thank you for clarifying that for me.

BTW-you can pick up a used Roland JazzChorus 120 which is the original gangsta wet/dry rig(one speaker runs clean, one speaker runs all the effects) and use all the money you saved to put together a killer pedal board.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, thank you for clarifying that for me.

BTW-you can pick up a used Roland JazzChorus 120 which is the original gangsta wet/dry rig(one speaker runs clean, one speaker runs all the effects) and use all the money you saved to put together a killer pedal board.
Sorry I was clarifying in general and did not mean to imply you specifically did not understand the distinction . Perhaps because , I did not realize the distinction until I started researching. Apologies , Kev

Roland JazzChours 120 , guess there nothing new under the sun Looks kinda heavy to lug around though

KevWind at Soundcloud

Last edited by KevWind; 03-31-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Sorry Kev, I assumed you were familiar with the JazzChorus line. I said JC120 not to become wordy. Take a look at the site below when you have a moment.
https://www.roland.com/global/promos/jc_40_years/
Old 04-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Still have not actually ordered any of switching units but here is what I am going to using for amps

Left to right. For the Dry amp REVV D20, 20 watt (6V6) tube amp into a Port City 2 X 12 vertical Cab, Then the Wet amp a Supro TiTan and Extension Cab. 50 watt (6L6)

KevWind at Soundcloud

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars