The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Very sorry to hear about your experience. The fact is that he is right - these things do happen. And when they do, a reputable shop, of any ilk, should step up.
Like others, I would suggest that you find out what a repair would cost - likely quite modest. As well as the cost of a neck replacement - from Martin. If you go with the neck repair, you may also have someone determine what, if any, the diminished in value is as a result of this cosmetic defect. Then you can give the shop owner an option - replace the guitar (unlikely), or pay for the repair and pay for loss of value to the guitar as a result of the gaff. Or something in between.
Congrats on your journey. You have six years on me, and I began last year as well. Sometimes I lament that I did not start earlier (been a winds player for more than 55 years). But then, philosophically, I realize that whenever you take the first step, that is precisely the right time. Best of luck. Try not to make this experience sour your playing. Your lovely guitar sounds just as sweet.
David
Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
I'd be really pissed too. But, as mentioned it can be repaired with a mahogany plug and refinished so that you won't even notice the damage. What I would do, is get the shop to agree to pay for the repair directly to whom it is doing the fix.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Yes, this ^^^
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 PM

The problem with Frank Ford's typical "fill the hole" repair is that it isn't truly invisible, just subtle. And that plug usually occurs on the hidden side of the neck when removing an existing strap button. In this case, the plug will be on the upper side of the neck, visible whenever playing the guitar. Ouch!
Old 08-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The problem with Frank Ford's typical "fill the hole" repair is that it isn't truly invisible, just subtle. And that plug usually occurs on the hidden side of the neck when removing an existing strap button. In this case, the plug will be on the upper side of the neck, visible whenever playing the guitar. Ouch!
Yeah, it won’t be invisible. The inlay idea actually isn’t a bad one.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:16 PM

If that happened to my guitar, I would be pissed for a bit and let it go with little time. The fact that yours is a $5000 guitar that costs tenfold more, I would go ape. You're definitely not overreacting. I'd talk into making them pay up for a repair done by another person. I feel bad for what's happened, hopefully you'll get it settled good.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:18 PM

That is so unacceptable I don't even know where to begin. I feel your pain.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
....Like others, I would suggest that you find out what a repair would cost - likely quite modest. As well as the cost of a neck replacement - from Martin. If you go with the neck repair, you may also have someone determine what, if any, the diminished in value is as a result of this cosmetic defect. Then you can give the shop owner an option - replace the guitar (unlikely), or pay for the repair and pay for loss of value to the guitar as a result of the gaffe. Or something in between.
These seem like reasonable options - to me. But it will take some time to get over the emotions and decide what you can live with.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Won't look perfect but I bet after a proper repair using a mahogany dowel, grain-matched and stained correctly you'd hardly even notice it. Especially after you put on a few dings and scratches of your own.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you handled it well and a repair and refinish will likely work.

I would be very surprised if the music shop was not covered by insurance and you can press them to make a claim. They will be reluctant but will eventually do so with appropriate pressure. You are not getting a new guitar unless the insurer decides to replace it and take yours for subrogation. But they should either repair it or give you an allowance to have it repaired. I feel your pain!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM

I would call the shop owner and explain that you have thought it over and have decided that the shop did not take good and reasonable care of your $5,000 guitar. In fact they damaged the guitar which has diminished its value and appearance and possibly caused structural damage. You will be happy to settle the matter amicably by returning the guitar to the shop in exchange for a new exact model Martin. Otherwise you are prepared to proceed to small claims court to resolve the matter.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I would call the shop owner and explain that you have thought it over and have decided that the shop did not take good and reasonable care of your $5,000 guitar. In fact they damaged the guitar which has diminished its value and appearance and possibly caused structural damage. You will be happy to settle the matter amicably by returning the guitar to the shop in exchange for a new exact model Martin. Otherwise you are prepared to proceed to small claims court to resolve the matter.
This, I couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchin241 View Post
Won't look perfect but I bet after a proper repair using a mahogany dowel, grain-matched and stained correctly you'd hardly even notice it. Especially after you put on a few dings and scratches of your own.
^^^This^^^ I believe a competent luthier/tech could do exactly that and it might still be ever so slightly noticeable (mostly because you know it's there) but not nearly as bad as that botched patch job that guy did? It can be fixed...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=CoffeeFan;6464452]You're not overreacting at all.

For a competent repairman/luthier, these just don't happen. The fact that they offered that as an excuse, and then amplified the insult with the offer of a free strap button, demonstrates they're nothing but hacks. I don't care how old the owner is or how long he's been in business.

I would make the following offer to him: He ponies up and orders you a brand new Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe Lefty, or you're going to sue him and drag his name through the mud. While his boneheaded employee may have made the mistake, he's the first one who tried to make the fact that your $5,000 Martin being screwed up is trivial.

And, if he's not a Martin dealer and unable to order such a guitar, he hands you either cash or a cashier's check in the amount it will take to replace your guitar. I would not go for a neck replacement. It will never be the same.

This is absolutely inexcusable. I would not reach out to Martin. I would reach out to an attorney...[/QUOTE
I hate attorneys with a passion....BUT as I am 73 and love my guitars and hate incompetence more than I hate lawyers ....do the above with ASAP.
Call Morgan & Morgan

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I don't see how it's unrealistic at all.

If you take your brand Mercedes to someone to tint the windows and, in the process, they scratch your $6,000 paint job and cover it over with a paint pen, are you going to let that stand?

As for what the shop can offer, here's another thing to bear in mind: This will be, forever and always, a guitar that has had a repair. In the case the OP ever wants to sell it, he'll have to disclose the repair. That will have a pretty negative impact on what he's able get, price-wise.

Also, the "repairman" drilled into the heel, so I would submit that this isn't strictly a cosmetic issue.

Sorry, but this is unforgivable. The "repairman" screwed it up, and the owner insulted you by suggesting "these things happen" because he knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on...
I never said he should let it stand. I just don't think "you buy me a brand new $5k guitar or I sue you" is going to fly unless there's actual damage to the neck (and even then, replacing the entire guitar wouldn't make sense). And I agree that it could be more than just a cosmetic issue, which is why I stated in my post that the new repairperson should ensure everything is all good with the neck.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

You are not overreacting. Being angry is certainly reasonable.

That said, as others have suggested, I would get a repair estimate and ask the shop to make it right.

If you tell us where you live, perhaps we can help you fine a really good repair person who can do the correction?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion