The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
No one has to satisfy you that they have the “one”. They only have to be personally satisfied.

I don’t understand the affront taken because someone has found their “one”. Why is that intimidating? What am I missing, it would please me if someone reported finding that.
You’re being a bit aggressive. Folks are just having a discussion.

I think it’s just semantics, and a bit of confusion perhaps? You often talk about your “one”. That’s awesome that you are really happy with it, but the reality is that there are thousands and thousands of guitars out there would/could be just as good or better. That’s what I think some are trying to say...perhaps...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
After you find “the one”, you go looking for another “the one”. Wash, rinse and repeat. & hopefully, you play a lot of guitar along the way.

If I had spent more time practicing and less time searching for “the one”, I would’ve saved money and be a better guitar player.
Exactly!
2019 Collings Baby 2he
Prior: Too many to list
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Once I find The One, I usually start looking to see if The One has any siblings or distant cousins. Then I buy siblings of The One's cousins. And also the step-children of the siblings of The One's cousins.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:46 PM

Play the heck out of it and enjoy it. But I will always keep and eye out and try and play other guitars .....Now buying is a different story but never say never
Old 08-09-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

How do you know when you've found it? Maybe there's another out there that is the better one.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
How do you know when you've found it? Maybe there's another out there that is the better one.
When you've looked for it for over 40 years, and no matter what you pick up and play, nothing comes close.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-09-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
You’re being a bit aggressive. Folks are just having a discussion.

I think it’s just semantics, and a bit of confusion perhaps? You often talk about your “one”. That’s awesome that you are really happy with it, but the reality is that there are thousands and thousands of guitars out there would/could be just as good or better. That’s what I think some are trying to say...perhaps...
Let's not assign a report card, just keep having the discussion.

There are certainly guitars out there that others would like better than mine. But I'm talking about MY preferences, not the preferences of others.

I speak of my experience of over 40 years, dozens of guitars owned, and many hundreds more played. I make no claim this is the best guitar in the world, simply that it's my "one". In what should be glaringly obvious, I'm the only one that can make that claim about my personal position in the matter, and it isn't up for debate.

Anyone else can speak their own truth, but not mine. I have the "one", if there isn't one for you, that's fine, I don't think its a contest, even though I feel like I've won every time I pick it up. I wish the same for everyone.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ve never identified with the concept of finding "the one." If I had to pare down to one acoustic and one electric, it would be my 1950 Martin 00-18 and Strandberg Boden Original 6. But I like having a variety of guitars, and over the last eleven years have gotten clearer about what I like.

I’m planning to sell my Taylors, the Martin SW00-DB Machiche and 1968 Guild F-112 are with my youngest son, (along with his bass, another acoustic, and 3 more electrics,) who is an excellent guitarist and does a lot of recording. The Eastman T185MX and G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde are just such nice electrics to play, and I’m enjoying the carbon fiber guitars immensely. The Vox electric lives at my girlfriend's house, and the Rickenbacher is just fun to have. I wouldn’t want to travel with the 1950 Martin, but the Voyage-Air fills that need. Plus I just like having the guitars around.

While I can appreciate the simplicity of having one guitar, it doesn’t appeal to me. I spent far too many years having only one low end acoustic, and not playing so much because it wasn’t that much fun. Fortunately I’m at a place where I can afford to have plenty of guitars, and I enjoy aspects of each.

To make a comparison, my two older sons are serious cyclists. One races competitively, and the other owns a bike shop. At any one time, they each have a mix of road bikes, mountain bikes, and a cycle cross or gravel grinder, all for different kinds of riding. They totally understand why I have a variety of guitars.

So to each his or her own preference, whether it’s one, a few, or many.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-09-2020, 09:12 PM

I got my "The One" back in 1983.
It's my Martin D-35.
Yes other guitars have come and gone and I do own several other guitars currently.
However these other guitars have a purpose and are for certain styles and tunings.
My D-35 is still my "one" for my every day playing preference.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:47 AM

I have been playing since the year dot and what I think of ‘The One’ has changed drastically over the years.

Currently I fingerpick 100% bare finger and pursue a number of styles concurrently....country blues fingerpicking, country blues bottleneck, DADGAD type material and a mix of all to do an acoustic version of famous tunes that take my fancy, including instrumentals plus songs with vocals.

While anything can be done on 6 strings, ‘The One’ becomes the ‘Five’ at least to be comfortable.....low setup, light strings for blues, high setup, fat strings for bottleneck, overtone heavy guitar for DADGAD, all kinds for vocal backing....phew, we are up to...lots!

So I have had and still have, multiples of ‘The One’ and usually, not always, it suits the style.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Bought another “one”

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto..............

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m amused at the opinion that the “one” is a myth. What they’re actually saying is that there’s no “one” for them. Why they respond to questions about the “one” and what you do after finding it is part of the amusement factor.

I found the “one” several years ago. Since then there’s been zero GAS, I don’t look at acoustic guitar ads or classifieds. I have no interest in obtaining another acoustic guitar. I have the “one” I want and it covers all my needs.

I hope this actually answers your question.
The concept of one guitar doing everything a 00 all mahogany, rosewood dread and a jumbo 12 string can do is not something I've ever considered. Glad you found the one guitar that does everything you want a guitar to do. Finding a particular guitar that is perfect for me in a particular style of play is the best I'll ever be able to do. That's happened three times.

To answer the original question, when that happens I totally lose interest in other guitars suited for that style of play.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 08-10-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The concept of one guitar doing everything a 00 all mahogany, rosewood dread and a jumbo 12 string can do is not something I've ever considered. Glad you found the one guitar that does everything you want a guitar to do. Finding a particular guitar that is perfect for me in a particular style of play is the best I'll ever be able to do. That's happened three times.

To answer the original question, when that happens I totally lose interest in other guitars suited for that style of play.

I respect that position and understand my needs are different than others needs.

My guitar only has to support my singing or accompaniment of another player. The fact that its voice is the most pleasing I’ve found, cements it as the “one”.

And to your last point, that’s exactly what’s happened to me regarding acoustic guitars. They hold no interest to me other than I like to pick one up and give it a strum, just to reinforce my good fortune.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When you've looked for it for over 40 years, and no matter what you pick up and play, nothing comes close.
I'll never find it then I guess. I probably don't have forty years left in me. I'll have to make do with what I have.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
If you don't believe in "the one", it's because you haven't found it.
I disagree.

Quote:
I realize that one guitar cannot be all things to everyone. I play fingerstyle (or more specifically hybrid) arrangements. If I also played bluegrass or manouche jazz I would likely want another guitar, but I don't play those genres. Similarly, my Foxtrot covers the genres I play (jam bands, fusion, prog rock) as best as anything out there. If I played other styles I would probably want another instrument.
If you play one style, with the same people (or just yourself), all the time, I suppose you might be okay with one guitar. The moment you have to play with someone else, play a different style, need something that fits a little differently in a recording, that idea goes out the window IMO.

And tbh, I think folks who use one may be missing out on what they might get if they had something else, even in their usual genre and setting. There are times a slight change in timbre, resonance, etc. can make a big difference, and you don't always know until you hear another option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion