The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 04:16 PM

Default What's your cheapest in price acoustic guitar?

I only have one and it's cheap when compared to most of your guys' guitars. It's in my signature.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:20 PM

I have a 3/4 scale I found in the trash with the top pulled off. Re-glued the top and is good to go.
~Bob
Old 08-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Out of the three acoustics I own, the cheapest (I prefer least expensive ) was my Martin, at $340.

Granted, that was 36 years ago, but it still counts, doesn't it?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 PM

Martin LXK2 at $329. Fun little guitar.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-03-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I only have one and it's cheap when compared to most of your guys' guitars. It's in my signature.
What is the goal of this post?!?!? Just curious.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

My Vintage Statesboro' parlor guitar. Just £99 new (that's around 125 usd at present).

Vintage Statesboro

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:59 PM

In around 2002, I was looking for the best sounding guitar with a $200 budget. The winner at that time was an Olympia (by Tacoma) dreadnought. The specific model number, I can't remember. When I acquired better acoustic guitars, the Olympia was not worth selling, so I strung it in 'Nashville' tuning, one step down.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
What is the goal of this post?!?!? Just curious.
My observation? LeDave is new to acoustic guitar, new to the forum, and has a lot of curiosity about the whole new world he's stepping into.

So, he's asking lots of questions. Many of the participants here are twice his age or more (myself included) and it saddens me to see so many 'get off my lawn' responses.

We should be encouraging younger players, not sniffing indignantly when we see something we might not 'get'.

You don't have to respond at all, you know.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-03-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
My observation? LeDave is new to acoustic guitar, new to the forum, and has a lot of curiosity about the whole new world he's stepping into.

So, he's asking lots of questions. Many of the participants here are twice his age or more (myself included) and it saddens me to see so many 'get off my lawn' responses.

We should be encouraging younger players, not sniffing indignantly when we see something we might not 'get'.

Ah, I see, well thanks for setting me straight I guess? geez

Where I come from you don't ask people what they pay for things. Google will tell him that.

In any case, yer right at the end of the day. He can ask what he wants. I asked a simple question, as did he.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-04-2020 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-03-2020, 05:09 PM

Yikes. I thought spending more time here outside of the Open Mic section would help. Looks like I need to be even more extra careful on which questions I ask now. Sorry for that.

I was just wondering if my only guitar, $429 would be in the same level as your guys' cheaper ones. Because everyone here talks about guitars in the thousands range and I feel kind of left out.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:13 PM

Of the steel strings, $3200. I've been at it for a while. Sold off less expensive, but excellent guitars to fund guitars that suited me better. This is common pattern when you retire and you refine your search image.

But then I have a classical guitar bought in 1969 for $20 that I keep for sentimental value plus traveling. I doubt it will be replaced by a newer, better nylon string.

LeDave -- when you getting your next guitar? The bug getting you yet?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Spot on. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Its this way in every hobby. And, its a good refresher to those who need a reminder of what it was like when we were brand new to the hobby. Or the art of..... Playing guitar.

The least costly of the guitars I've owned is a Recording King parlor guitar. Boxy sounding as it gets and I love it. $225.00
Old 08-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Yikes. I thought spending more time here outside of the Open Mic section would help. Looks like I need to be even more extra careful on which questions I ask now. Sorry for that.

I was just wondering if my only guitar, $429 would be in the same level as your guys' cheaper ones. Because everyone here talks about guitars in the thousands range and I feel kind of left out.
It's all good man, I guess I see what you're trying to do there. Question asked, question answered. Someone obviously has a problem with you and I having a dialogue. That's just about the only thing I have a problem with in this thread at this point.

I sincerely apologize if my post came off as "snooty" as someone suggested. That was not my intent, despite what has been suggested above.

I haven't been around here for a long time, but I feel like I've been here long enough to estimate that a lot of users on here generally will not appreciate this sort of dialogue. But then again, clearly others are okay with it too. Take this information how you will.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-03-2020, 05:26 PM

Don't be intimidated by folks that have Boo Zchwah, Collings, Huss and Dalton, Pre War, Martin Authentics or what not.

Be satisfied with the guitar you have and try to learn with the tool(s) you have.

There's no bad in trying to aspire to a higher end guitar, but the key is that you play and enjoy your current instrument that you purchased.

$500 is a chunk of change, I'm sure you spent that on your current guitar by taking many things into consideration, at least I did when I bought my first guitar.

When I bought my Ibanez acoustic (7 string) for $750 back in the early 2000's, i agonized over that amount. When I spent $1,700 on my Gibson L4A, i thought i was nuts, but after doing research, playing the guitar, getting the feel for it, i felt confident and secure I made the right purchase.

The LAST THING YOU NEED TO DO is compare what you have with others.

Although, that's what sometimes makes these crazy Guitar Forums alive.

Bottom line, enjoy the guitar you have and learn.

J
Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Least expensive - David Webber mini-jumbo, tasmanian blackwood/sitka cutaway, about $3,800 new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion