The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Gibson LG-3 vs. J-50

Hi all,

First time back on this forum since 2008! Interesting how these community boards exist as living time capsules.

The question I'd like to posit regards the next acoustic I want to pick up. It seems that the vast majority of the internet prefers a dreadnought for it's balance and fullness in tone. I'm honestly of two minds-- On the one hand they're right, on the other... Sometimes parlor/ small body guitars sound much better in the context of a full band.

What are everyone's most recent opinions on this?

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-21-2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Hey, there! I owned a 1951 (or so) j-50 that was aurally magnificent. I still have a 1956 LG-3 that resembles the J-50 in terms of richness of tone but lacking, comparatively, in bass. FWIW
Old 08-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

In my mind there are a couple of "standard" acoustic guitar sounds, those being a Gibson J45/50 and the Martin D18/28. You have to decide which timbre excites you. Gibson and Martin being the "standard," there are a bunch of other makers such as Bourgeous (sp?), Collings, Huss & Dalton et al that produce their take on the classic design which you may or may not like better.

I personally do not care for the Gibson LG series, to me rather "dry" and without sustain; but some tunes need that, hence Collings' Waterloo-series.

Thrill of the chase man, enjoy it and best wishes!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:29 PM

You are welcomed back to the forum with some enabling - get both!

1959 Gibson LG3 and 2002 J50 - apart from strings, binding and wood looks, not one thing the same!:

BluesKing777.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM

I owned a 1942 J50 and a 1946 LG-2 at the same time. The J50 is still hanging around. As luck of the draw would have it the guitar comes off as the love child of a J45 and J35, Try as I might though, I could not make peace with the LG-2. It finally went for a 1957 CF-100 which I liked better but which then went towards a 1932 12 fret L1. I am at last at peace.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I owned a 1942 J50 and a 1946 LG-2 at the same time. The J50 is still hanging around. As luck of the draw would have it the guitar comes off as the love child of a J45 and J35, Try as I might though, I could not make peace with the LG-2. It finally went for a 1957 CF-100 which I liked better but which then went towards a 1932 12 fret L1. I am at last at peace.
I would probably trade both mine for the 32 L1 you have, ZW, which is closer to what I really wanted neck/nut wise, but can't get here! I was previously flapping about getting the Waterloo 12 fret maple version but they are gone. Gone, gone, gone. There is one in the next state but they have just banged the price of Waterloos up about $500! And their Collings (00/OMs) seem to have gone up $2K!!!!!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchin241 View Post
Hi all,

First time back on this forum since 2008! Interesting how these community boards exist as living time capsules.

The question I'd like to posit regards the next acoustic I want to pick up. It seems that the vast majority of the internet prefers a dreadnought for it's balance and fullness in tone. I'm honestly of two minds-- On the one hand they're right, on the other... Sometimes parlor/ small body guitars sound much better in the context of a full band.

What are everyone's most recent opinions on this?
As a former J-50 owner, that is the direction I'd steer you - - rock solid, stage worthy, great tone - -

Me and the J-50 in 1978, outdoor concert - - -

Former AGF Moderator

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-21-2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Update:

Contrary to popular opinion I've decided to go with an LG! and an lg-2 at that, rather than the previously considered lg-3. While the dreadnought tone has the tone, I've found that the smaller LG body was simply more fun to play, and that was the deciding factor in this one.

I got quite lucky on a new Gibson model that had a factory error! The guitar was intended to be a 1959 LG-2 reissue, hence the large pickguard and the wide sunburst. It seems however that a banner headstock and neck found its way onto the body. Definitely a happy accident that I was excited to find. s/o to the folks at Chicago Music Exchange for walking me through weeks worth of deliberating.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-21-2020 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

nice LG2.

I recently acquired two LG2's, 2014 and 2017. both play and sound quite fantastic. both have a balanced, yet loud/projective voice, nice sustain, and a sweetness when played soft.

here's the 2014 I just finished setting up and redressing with the pickguard, and here it is around the 6:00 min mark on its first time on stage use(it will be used a lot each week in a rowdy praise worship team.

Jonathan, the man playing it, owns a nice J-45, he said this LG2 is louder and just has more of everything.

Gibson light gauge phosphor bronze strings. bone nut/saddle, low action 5/64 at low E, 3/64 at high e. almost no relief, .003" at 7th fret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWYccpEXmQ

and here it is 4 days later same stage starting at 6:30 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkjZW56NQtE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200726_145314_resized_2.jpg (34.8 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 08-10-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:35 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchin241 View Post
Update:

Contrary to popular opinion I've decided to go with an LG! and an lg-2 at that, rather than the previously considered lg-3. While the dreadnought tone has the tone, I've found that the smaller LG body was simply more fun to play, and that was the deciding factor in this one.

I got quite lucky on a new Gibson model that had a factory error! The guitar was intended to be a 1959 LG-2 reissue, hence the large pickguard and the wide sunburst. It seems however that a banner headstock and neck found its way onto the body. Definitely a happy accident that I was excited to find. s/o to the folks at Chicago Music Exchange for walking me through weeks worth of deliberating.

. . . . . images clipped for brevity . . . .
Nice!! Beautiful guitar, and congratulations! I love the Gibson Banner headstock decal. It's classy. Enjoy!!
Former AGF Moderator

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-21-2020 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I would probably trade both mine for the 32 L1 you have, ZW, which is closer to what I really wanted neck/nut wise, but can't get here! I was previously flapping about getting the Waterloo 12 fret maple version but they are gone. Gone, gone, gone. There is one in the next state but they have just banged the price of Waterloos up about $500! And their Collings (00/OMs) seem to have gone up $2K!!!!!

BluesKing777.
Yeah BK, it was long a journey getting to where I ended up. Lots of twists and turns along the way. But it was a fun ride. Just curious if you have gotten your hands on the Waterloo take on the Kel Kroyden. They are apparently very lightly built with the tall thin bracing and clock in at around three pounds causing Collings to issue the recommendation to use nothing heavier than .011 gauge strings. I give Collings a lot of credit when it comes to reproducing bracing as their take on the J35 is the only factory guitar I can think of which has the non-scalloped bracing and three tone bars.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-11-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Nice!! Beautiful guitar, and congratulations! I love the Gibson Banner headstock decal. It's classy. Enjoy!!
I swear though it seems like when Gibson wants to tag a model with a certain year it is like they write a bunch of years on slips of paper and draw them from a hat.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Yeah BK, it was long a journey getting to where I ended up. Lots of twists and turns along the way. But it was a fun ride. Just curious if you have gotten your hands on the Waterloo take on the Kel Kroyden. They are apparently very lightly built with the tall thin bracing and clock in at around three pounds causing Collings to issue the recommendation to use nothing heavier than .011 gauge strings. I give Collings a lot of credit when it comes to reproducing bracing as their take on the J35 is the only factory guitar I can think of which has the non-scalloped bracing and three tone bars.

I have not had the pleasure of trying a Kel or Waterloo version. I am very, very pleased with the WL-14X and WL-14L I have and they improve daily as the years go by.....the X braced has become very Gibson and the L braced very Zoo....very different sound within similar ‘looking’ guitars. Tony P had a video comparison that did my head in - his were opposite finishes to mine. (Black X mine, Black L on his video).

I played a Collings 00 for a minute, great, great, great - non scalloped! Very expensive and someone bought it after about 2 years on the rack.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 PM

I own a '47 LG-3 and a '49 J-50, so they are generally in the same ballpark in terms of vintage.

They are entirely different beasts. The J-50 has that classic Gibson "thump" to the low E and A, and a really nice shimmery chime to the trebles. The midrange is a little scooped. Nice harmonics. Great for vocal accompaniment. Terrific strummer. Fingerpicks well also.

On the other hand, the LG-3 is all about the midrange. It just barks. It has a very fundamental, loud tone almost completely devoid of overtones. It is a better instrument for punchy, flatpicked runs.

If I had to sell one, it would have to be the LG-3. But I wouldn't be happy about it.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion