The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 AM

Default Looking for thumbpick options...

I play mostly all fingerstyle and am trying to find a thumbpick that will work for me. I was using a standard Dunlop style thumbpick that wraps around your thumb. It sounded and playing-wise felt great, but I have arthritis in my thumb joint and it became extremely painful to wear one. To the point where I actually had to stop playing for about 3 months.

Well the thumb is back to normal (for me anyways). Thinking it may have been a fluke, I tried wearing the thumbpick again and immediately the pain was back. So off with the thumbpick! I feel it was sized correctly as it was the largest I could use that wouldn't slip. I just can't seem to wear anything that compresses the area between the back of the nail and the joint.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or is aware of a different style of thumbpick that has worked well for them.

Any help appreciated!

-Jim
Old 08-01-2020, 06:56 AM

Just have to try different thumb picks. Making the tip of the thumb pick shorter might (stress might) alter the mechanical strains on the joint? Try playing with your thumb more open i.e. less bent so that the flat of the pick is aligned with the string and you're not striking string with an edge? Softer thinner pick? Have tried multiple thumb picks over the years because they all produce a subtly different sound. The thinnest softest thumb pick in my little collection looks like the Jim Dunlop 9051 Red.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-...5&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I'm sure you know that nearly all plastic thumb picks are thermoplastics and you can alter the tightness and to a certain extent the shape of the pick if you heat it in boiling water. Not whilst it's on your thumb though! That might make it less tight. Good luck.

It sounds from where you describe the pain that it might be your interphalangeal joint that is the culprit. I was a GP in the UK pre-retirement and for what it's worth, the thumb is the commonest bit of the hand to get osteoarthritis (if that's what you have - it's certainly far and away the commonest arthritis of adults). In the hand, it's especially common in the dominant hand of people who have had a heavy manual job - and it's more often the Metacarpophalangeal joint than the interphalangeal joint. Google 'Heberden's nodes'. They are a sign of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis reflects wear of the smooth white cartilage which lines all joints. If this wears away the bones themselves start to articulate like a pair of bricks and that can hurt. Everyone gets it to some extent somewhere in the body (Hips, knees, spine are commonest) and it's unusual to find anyone over 50 without it although it's not always hugely symptomatic. A fracture through the joint line can cause it too but that's unusual.

Last edited by David Rance; 08-01-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 AM

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Have you tried the Fred Kelly picks? To me, they are much more comfortable than the Dunlop, stays in place but does not squeeze your thumb to death.

I think the Fred Kelly slick pick would be closest to you Dunlop, they are worth a shot I think.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:32 AM

I've tried a variety of thumbpicks, and found that they all do not fit the same, and the sizes are not uniform, even if the style/appearance is the same. I couldn't adjust to the white Dunlop's, whereas the white National's are perfect. The tone each generates also varies.

Search around and you will find many different styles, in a variety of sizes and materials.

It could be that arthritis will prevent your use of a thumbpick, but you'll never know unless you experiment with the many different styles out there to choose from.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM

If you play American Fingerstyle Ive found the FK Speedpick the best. If you are a thumper then you might try the pick that uses leather for the wrap. Im sorry I dont remember the name. Alternately, dont use a thumbpick at all. Grow out a thumbnail or put on the Rico nail on your thumb when you play.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:43 AM

I have been playing for 15 years with the same Blue Chip JD Crowe thumb pick. It is the most comfortable and best playing thumb pick I can imagine. I tried lots of different thumb picks before I finally broke down and spent the dollars on a Blue Chip pick. If I ever lost it I would buy another.

https://bluechippick.net/thumb-picks/
Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Herco thumb picks (shaped like a flat pick) fit around the thumb with no tightness whatsoever (pliable very thin plastic) or you could try metal Dunlop thumb picks. (Easy to adjust to fit as tight/loose around your thumb as you want).

Good luck!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 08-01-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I am also a fingerstyle guitars with heavy strumming influences. Been using a modified Thumpick since the 70's.
The most comfortable Thumpick for myself is Blue Chip thumpicks. Large lightweight steel band that grips lightly-but firmly enough to play with most any style. Expensive, but they last forever, have an incredible sound and they do come in different band widths.
Blue Chip also has Incredible customer service. If you find that you want a thicker or thinner pick, they will custom make it for you at no additional charge.
The Band does come in different sizes, however, is not as easily adjustable. Has a stronger spring in the steel.

So, While I absolutely adore Blue Chip picks for comfort and incredible sound...I might suggest you start with this lower price metal band thumpick. Pro Picks have even a softer metal band that is super easy to adjust to a looser fit or a tighter fit. Just squeeze inward or push the band at the open in upward to adjust. And they have Thumbpick tip shapes to choose from. They do not have the same durability as Bluechip or the same sound, but they are a great place to start as they are cheaper and easier to adjust.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks!

I currently have to play without a thumbpick, but my nails are paper thin, wear extremely fast and tear and break easy with day to day tasks. So for all practical purposes I am playing with the flesh on the side of my thumb. I use Tiptopic nails on my fingers, which sound great, but the bare thumb can't compete with them tonewise. I like to play songs by and similar to Tommy Emmanuel and most of them just sound so much better with the Tiptonics and a thumbpick. I have tried using a Tiptonic nail on my thumb, but even after careful filing it tends to catch and I can't get that clarity and fullness of a "normal" thumnpick.

I tried heating up the Dunlop and molding it to my thumb, but while it was better, it still was a problem. I am wondering if any of the thumbpicks are designed to clamp around the nail, closer to the tip. I do not have any pain in that area.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 AM

It's been several years since I used a thumb pick. Either strumming with finger nails or I was using a flat pick.

Well as I get older my skin seems to get smoother making harder to keep a pick from turning. So back to a thumb pick. Had a horrible time finding something that felt wright.

Well a few months ago I ordered some Black Mountain thumb picks. They were designed by a music teacher to aid his students.

Well, the "pick" portion is like your typical tear drop flat pick. 1.5mm thick with beveled edges. The "thumb" wrap is spring loaded. This gives a very consistent fit.

Best part, they weren't horribly expensive. 3 picks for $20. At $6.34 each they are a bit more than your standard thumb pick. But cheap enough to give them a try.

So far I am more than pleased with them. Still getting used to them but it will take a little time.

You can see them at blackmountainpicks.com
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Bluechip is the only one and Sammy Shelor fingerpicks
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Ive not tried them but maybe the Kodiak would work for you.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7215481...yABEgJlWfD_BwE
Old 08-01-2020, 10:08 AM

This looks promising, but still applies pressure in that area of the thumb. Never heard of these, so thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM

Default Think I solved it!

Ok, all your suggestions got me thinking...so I took my Dunlop thumbpick and trimmed the top part till it as about half size and only covered my nail. Nothing in the cuticle. I then used a heat gun and carefully formed again to the shape of my nail and adjusted the opening so it was comfy.

So far, you are thinking it is never going to hold or be rigid enough to use, right? Because that is exactly what happened...NOGO. But then, I decided to put a spot of the Tiptonic adhesive between my nail and the backside of the thumbpick so it kind of glued it to my nail (this is how the Tiptonic picks work). Well i just tried it and was playing/recording for the last 20min and it was super comfortable, sounded great and held tight! Going to keep trying it for a couple of days, but I think I may have something here!

FWIW, I am not affiliated with Tiptonic in any way, other than being a customer. But this adhesive is awesome!

Hope this might help someone else...

-Jim
Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM

+1 for ProPiks. I like the tone it produces, ajustable fit, and a relatively short blade. Not cheap ($14)...but less than the Blue Chip ($40)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion