The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Default Dimarzio Angel - NPD

My favorite system is a Sunrise with a good SBT (in my #1 an earlier generation McIntyre) through an external blending preamp. That is what I have in my O25C and don't see that I'll be changing it any time soon. My #2 - Lowden S10P - had an old Fishman Natural in it when I purchased it. I don't usually care for UST's but this one actually sounded reasonably good. I wasn't in a huge hurry but wanted to replace it with a mag and an SBT, but if possible, I wanted some way for it to be more self contained so I could use it without carrying my rack.

I read some good reviews on the Dimarzio Angel magnetic and the online samples sounded good to my ears... plus it is available in a dual source with a small internal blending preamp with separate volume wheels and a UST that is supposed to be pretty good - the Shadow Nanoflex. The UST goes into the pre-amp via a 2.5mm jack and a couple of companies market SBT's with that plug so I figured if the UST didn't work for me, I could replace it with an SBT and all will be good. Unfortunately there was a squirely repair to the bridge that would make it impossible for something like a K&K mounted where it is supposed to go. SBT's can go anywhere but moving them can significantly impact the sound and feedback potential.

I put the system in yesterday and have had a little time to listen to it. I like the mag a lot. I think I still prefer the Sunrise, but I like the Angel better than any other mag I've heard. The Nanoflex... not so much. It is quackier than the Fishman was that had been in the guitar. It does add something positive to the mag but I will replace it with an SBT in the near future. I'll try to make a quick and dirty recording of it later today.
that's me on guitar
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM

thanks for the quick review. Glad I saw it. Was considering the Dimarzio PZ, which is just the nanoflex pickup and preamp. They are out there for well under list price. If they are that quacky then maybe that's why.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM

Why not consider the Lyric dual sourced with a Mag pickup. Doug Young already demoed the Lyric with a Sunrise mag. and it sounded pretty good. They Lyric would not have any quack being Microphone based and the Lyric allows a passive mag. pickup into its stereo endpin. I am in the process of adding a mag to my Lyric right now and am encouraged so far by the results.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 08-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If they are that quacky then maybe that's why
I hope to make that recording today... when I do, I'll do one of just the nanoflex, of just the mag, and the two mixed so you'll get a sense of what each might sound like.

Quote:
Why not consider the Lyric dual sourced with a Mag pickup. Steve
I would Steve except that I want a mono out from this guitar. As I understand it, adding a second source to the Lyric comes out on the ring of a TRS plug and so needs to be blended externally. I really do want the ability of using this guitar without any external gear.
that's me on guitar
Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
My favorite system is a Sunrise with a good SBT (in my #1 an earlier generation McIntyre) through an external blending preamp. That is what I have in my O25C and don't see that I'll be changing it any time soon. My #2 - Lowden S10P - had an old Fishman Natural in it when I purchased it. I don't usually care for UST's but this one actually sounded reasonably good. I wasn't in a huge hurry but wanted to replace it with a mag and an SBT, but if possible, I wanted some way for it to be more self contained so I could use it without carrying my rack.

I read some good reviews on the Dimarzio Angel magnetic and the online samples sounded good to my ears... plus it is available in a dual source with a small internal blending preamp with separate volume wheels and a UST that is supposed to be pretty good - the Shadow Nanoflex. The UST goes into the pre-amp via a 2.5mm jack and a couple of companies market SBT's with that plug so I figured if the UST didn't work for me, I could replace it with an SBT and all will be good. Unfortunately there was a squirely repair to the bridge that would make it impossible for something like a K&K mounted where it is supposed to go. SBT's can go anywhere but moving them can significantly impact the sound and feedback potential.

I put the system in yesterday and have had a little time to listen to it. I like the mag a lot. I think I still prefer the Sunrise, but I like the Angel better than any other mag I've heard. The Nanoflex... not so much. It is quackier than the Fishman was that had been in the guitar. It does add something positive to the mag but I will replace it with an SBT in the near future. I'll try to make a quick and dirty recording of it later today.
Look forward to the recording and a full review. thanks Royd.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM

here are a few clips... sorry that they are very sloppy but they'll give you a sense of how the pups sound. The first 4 clips are all in my '88 Lowden S10P. The last clip, for comparison's sake is my Lowden O25C Custom. It was all recorded directly into garageband using a focusrite itrack with no effects or added eq. The strings are D'addario coated phosphor bronze, bluegrass gauge.

the magnetic alone

the nanoflex alone

the two sources mixed at 100% each

for comparisons -

the S10P with the Fishman Natural

and my O25C with a Sunrise mag and McIntyre SBT into a Dtar Solstice
that's me on guitar

Last edited by royd; 08-12-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fixed bad link
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM

I don't think the Dimarzio magnet alone is on the Cloud? Would be interesting to hear what the mag alone sounds like.

Hard for me not to like the last one through Dtar.

Thanks for posting, love to compare pickups
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I don't think the Dimarzio magnet alone is on the Cloud? Would be interesting to hear what the mag alone sounds like.

Hard for me not to like the last one through Dtar.

Thanks for posting, love to compare pickups
Steve
oops... bad link

dimarzio angel mag alone

I really like the Sunrise/McIntyre into the Dtar. I forgot to mention that there is a Sunrise stereo buffer in there before the Solstice as well. I don't think it is needed, but I do hear a difference when it is in vs. when it is out and I have it so it is in my rack.
that's me on guitar

Last edited by royd; 08-12-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 AM

I like the Angel sound clip the best. When you factor in that you don't have to do much too it to make it sound good, it sounds even better...

I have the angel and it works with the eq on my aer compact 60. I also have the sunrise and it takes ALOT OF eq to get it sounding decent, and doesn't work well with the eq on the aer. I use the red eye preamp too, and the minimal eq on that works well with the angel. It also works with sunrise, but the angel wins for me.

I haven't tried a blended magnetic with internal mic system yet, maybe someday.

Also, I've tried the white bronze strings that I've read about on this forum for use with magnetic pickups. They add a brighter (almost more focused) sound (I don't have the words to describe these very slight differences).
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Hi, I'm an endorsing artist for DiMarzio, and here's some clips I made for them, with NO microphones, just pickups...

strummed... http://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/hey-miner

finger picked... http://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/little-delia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
dimarzio angel, lowden, nanoflex, soundhole pick up