The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Default soundboard transducer location

My pickup rig of choice is a good mag coupled with a good SBT. My primary guitar has a Sunrise mag and a McIntyre SBT in it and I am very happy with how it sounds going out to a Sunrise stereo buffer into a Dtar Solstice blender but it does involve carrying at least an external preamp or my rack in order to play.

My #2 - a late 80's Lowden S10P - had a Fishman Natural in it that didn't sound bad but wasn't what I prefer. At the same time, I had two other concerns with that guitar. I wanted it to be plug and play and I didn't want to spend as much on the rig as I had with #1. I found a great deal on the Dimarzio Angel dual source which combines their excellent sounding, IMHO, mag with a shadow nanoflex UST and an internal blending preamp using a 2.5 mm plug on the UST. I'd like to replace the UST with an soundboard transducer. JJB and GFS both market an SBT with that plug... but there's another complication that leads to my question.

At some point in its life, the bridge obviously lifted on this guitar and a previous owner decided the way to fix it was to put two bolts in the bridge, attaching it to the top. The job doesn't look bad and doesn't seem to impact the sound so I don't want to mess with it. There also seem to be a couple of additional plastic plugs that someone put through the saddle slot and through the top, leaving a couple of 2-3mm high bumps sticking up on the bridgeplate. All of which makes mounting anything on the bridge plate impossible. So, the question, do any of you have an SBT mounted inside your guitar somewhere other than the bridgeplate? And if so, where and what are your thoughts about that location?

roy
that's me on guitar
Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM

no thoughts on this one?

I know the previous Taylor ES systems had two SBT's with one on the bass said of the waist near the side and the second near the center of the lower bout which was moved to the bridge plate at some point... The newer system with a single SBT has it located on the lower bout near the side. I assume they spent a lot of time tweaking those locations...

My experience says that SBT location is really important for how it sounds. I'm not sold that the bridge plate is the best spot. I think that K&K settled there because it is relatively consistent and more feedback resistant than many other places would be. Even there, Dazzo recommends you slide the bugs around a bit to find the exact best location...

so... whence shall I stick it/them?
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
dimarzio angel, lowden, s10p, sbt, transducer location