The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 03:58 PM

Default The Yamaha Red Label variants

Hey, I know these won't be available for a while, but heck, if we can talk about someone's custom-ordered whatever, that's even further past the horizon, we can talk about these.

Right?

There are two body shapes, one sort of dreadish, the other concert-sized, two trim levels (more on that below), and they come either bare or with pickup system. So 2 x 2 x 2 equals 8 variants.

Model numbers all begin with F. Body shape is designated with either a G for the large-body, S for the smaller concert-sized guitar.

The model number string has either a 5 or 3, and 5 designates the upper trim level, with 3 being the base model.

If the guitar is equipped with electronics, an X is in the model number string.

Thus, FGX5 is the dread-type body, onboard electrics, in the top trim level.

Sweetwater has pricing shown at their site, so it goes like this: $800, $1,000, $1,200, and at the top $1,400.

The $200 jumps are interesting. The first jump gets you the base model with the pickup added.

The second jump elevates you from base model to top trim. Thus either body shape no-electrics are $800 base, and $1,200 for top trim.

So here's the top trim, from what I can tell by a read of the specs. Bone nut, bone saddle, ebony pins with dots, a "wood-like" pickguard, and a hardshell case. All four base trim types get a case called "hard bag."

The pickguard feature is something I cannot figure from the few pictures I can see. The base (3) trim PG looks like plain black plastic, while the top trim (5) has a PG that is clearly wood-grained and thicker, but is it real wood? I cannot tell.

So when you study all the specs and prices in spreadsheet fashion, you come to this realization: Yamaha sells you the electronics upgrade for only $200, but the feature package upgrade for $400.

For me, it looks like a bargain for the pickup, but a ripoff for the upgrade pack of fancy pickguard vs black, bone nut and saddle, ebony pins vs plastic, and hardshell vs well-padded gig bag.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-25-2019, 04:47 PM

Have not paid much attention to the details in the variants. Have watched videos of the people demonstrating both the 3 and 5 dreads and I think they not only look awesome but they sound awesome too. I can not wait to try the 3. Just recently posted that I really like the Yamaha sound but wished for a 1.75 nut and boom here they are!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:47 PM

The 5's are made in Japan probably with the same one guitar one builder philosophy as the middle to upper end L series guitars. The 3's are probably built in china. I am a Yamaha fan so I'm guessing both will be great guitars but only you can decide which one is right for you.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 05-25-2019, 04:51 PM

I understand all the red labels to be made in Japan per the Yamaha you tube videos I have seen, but until they are out in the wild I can not claim that to be 100% accurate
Old 05-25-2019, 05:04 PM

A lot of info on the guitar spa Singapore you tube site for the FG5
Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 PM

I put a lot of weight on whether a hardshell case is included. For example, the L 16 line does not include a hardcase sold in my region of the world. If it was included, it would seriously threaten N American producers, even counting on an extra $100 to the price.

I would jump all over a FS5 but alas, it’s not available in rosewood.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:39 PM

I said the G body, the large one, is sort of dread-ish. That is not quite correct. Yamaha calls the shape "western," but for the closest size and shape, it's the Taylor Grand Pacific. Small fractions difference for body length, width, and depth.

Almost but not quite. The GP shoulders are slightly more rounded.

My Yamaha LS-TA has the A.R.E. spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, pearl fretboard dots on the ebony board, curly maple over black/white purfling, pretty pearl ring in its rosette, bone saddle and nut, ebony pins, and an almost-invisible clear pickguard to let the tobacco burst finish be seen everywhere. It is a very nice guitar with beautiful finish and details, and it is made in China.

Mine came through Amazon on a flash-sale day, and cost $850 delivered.

I want to see and hear the small-body Red Label with the new pickup system.

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-25-2019, 06:58 PM

I'll post a review of the FGX5 once I get my hands on it. When I first ordered it, the website said it would ship out on 6-4 then it went to 6-12, then 6-14. Last time I checked it is now 6-24...

With the trade thingy with China I could see a delay on the 3-series since as far as I can tell they are made in China.

However, Im not sure why the holdup on my Japan made -5, but a few years back I ordered a Yamaha Revstar 502T when they first came out and I ended up waiting over a month longer than expected. The wait was worth it.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM

3 series like the FS3, FG3, FSX3, FGX3 are Made In China.

5 series like the FS5, FG5, FSX5, FGX5 are Made In Japan.

X = with electronics.

Hope this helps to simplify it.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:00 AM

I can't wait to try one of these! Hope they filter out into the street soon.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:59 AM

The 3s have arrived in stores in the UK. There are only the non electro versions in stock as it looks like the first lot of electros were allocated to pre orders.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
...Just recently posted that I really like the Yamaha sound but wished for a 1.75 nut and boom here they are!
I previously owned a couple of LS6 and LL6 models and liked them well enough. They too were advertised as having 1.75" nuts, but that proved to be 1/16 or so generous. That along with string spacing made them feel a little narrow for my liking. Hopefully, these new Red Label models will be true 1.75"....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2019, 06:16 AM

I'm interested to try these out. I think, if you tack on $100 for the hsc, and $100, for the pick guard, bone, & ebony, jmo -- sounds about right.

I really can't see, 'one pair of hands' build tho'. That's just my guess.

I would be surprised if these aren't worthy guitars, and Yamaha has imo always been solid value.

Between internet learning resources, and the global market competition -- it's a pretty cool time to be a player on a budget. The used market's a wonderland of gas. I'm doing my best to take full advantage.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

If the new RedLabel FG5 is anywhere near what my FG180-50TH is. I’ll be exceedingly pleased when the pre-ordered FG5 ,with its shorter scale 25”, arrives from the man in the white blue and orange van delivers, S@@n!
Old 05-26-2019, 12:31 PM

Here is what you get spending $400 to go from Chinese-made to Japanese-made:

Bone for nut and saddle instead of plastic

Real wood (looks like striped ebony) for pickguard instead of plastic

Ebony pins instead of plastic

Hardshell case instead of padded bag

The two lines, the China built and Japan built, are identical, as far as I can see, in materials and specs for body, purfling, rosette, fretboard, frets, tuners, A.R.E. spruce tops, african hog sides and backs, bracing, except for the details noted above.

At $1,200 street price, that dread-sized no-electrics one in the top line (5), is the one I want to hold and play. Wouldn't it be nice if it felt and sounded like a D-18?

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion