The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Mod V (CEO-7) vs. MLO (Martin "Standard" Series)

My smallish hands fit well with the newish Martin MLO neck profile, but I'm curious as to how different the feel is compared to a Modified-V profile like on the CEO-7. Unfortunately, I can't find a CEO-7 in stock at any store around me to try myself, or this wouldn't be a question.

I've heard some folks say they just couldn't get along with the V...but I have a D-18v with what they call a "Modified V" profile, and have no issue at all with it at least on that guitar. I have more issues switch from a 1.75" nut width on my OM to the 1 & 11/16" one on the D18v than I do with the neck shape.

Could some who have a CEO-7 and a Martin guitar with the MLO profile chime in and let me know?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM

I've had both recently. The MLO has a little more shoulder and C shape compared to the mod V which has a little less shoulder and a moderate V shape. The differences to me were obvious but subtle in my hand. I hope that helps. YMMV
Old 05-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Had to sell my CEO-7 because the Mod-V was to much to handle for my small fret hand(and lack of a mid-finger). Sure miss its tone! My other Martins are the MLO(0-15) and Tapered MLO (00-28). They conform to my fret hand with less strain than the Mod-V. The short scale is also a plus for my fingers.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Maybe you could find someone who has a 000-28 Eric Clapton in stock which also has a Mod V and a 1-3/4" nut. I have one and a 2017 000-42(mod v 1-3/4")...I love this neck and I have average size hands. I had a 2018 D-42 with the new neck and I hated it. I really want a D-42 again but not till I can custom shop one with the Mod-V neck. I know a lot of people don't like the Mod V neck, but for me it is very comfortable.

Also, my wife is tiny...4'11" with tiny hands and she's loves The Mod V neck...but she also loves the MLO

Last edited by Trinity13; 05-25-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 AM

I've had both profiles and much prefer the mod V. It felt better in my almost average size hand and with less shoulder it was easier to throw over the thumb to fret. I've got a Martin OMC-18 Juber w/mod V and I love it.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 AM

I have both in the current herd. Prefer the mlo but, can get along with the mod v.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 05-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle48 View Post
I have both in the current herd. Prefer the mlo but, can get along with the mod v.
I have both and prefer the Mod V and get along with the MLO. Different stokes for different folks.

Another guitar that the OP can try that feels very similar to the CEO-7 (to my hands) is the 00-DB Jeff Tweedy. When I was shopping for my CEO-7 in 2015 the local stores had lots of 00-DB and no CEO-7. It turned out that the 00-DB was a good stunt double for the CEO-7.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 05-25-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity13 View Post
Maybe you could find someone who has a 000-28 Eric Clapton in stock which also has a Mod V and a 1-3/4" nut.
The Clapton 000-28 I owned had a fuller/beefier profile than the standard Modified V I've had on my two CEO-7's. The Clapton is actually my favorite Martin neck profile. It's not an apple to apple comparison.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sunburst View Post
The Clapton 000-28 I owned had a fuller/beefier profile than the standard Modified V I've had on my two CEO-7's. The Clapton is actually my favorite Martin neck profile. It's not an apple to apple comparison.
That's interesting....I didn't realize that, although I do feel a little difference between my 000-42 and my EC.....The main difference I feel when I pick up the EC is that the neck just feels fast and smooth....weird. I thought it was just my imagination. Nice to know there is something behind it.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I was talking to the sales guy at my favorite guitar shop just the other day about the plethora of Martins available these days.

He threw out the statement that the MLO neck is Martin's attempt at copying the Taylor neck. I hadn't thought about it that way, but maybe he's right.

And, for what it's worth, I really like the Mod V neck. The MLO neck, and the Taylor necks, are too slender for me.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM

The 3 Martins in my stable all have a V profile neck. My hands are probably smaller than average. To me the V profile is more comfortable. The Martin V's are softer now then they were years ago. Not as sharp. I went from loving the Low profile necks to the soft V's, although that may have come from maturing as a player too..Go out and try some if you can, you may love the MLO, or maybe the V neck will be just right for you..Edit to add; After re-reading your post to the end, I'm thinking maybe it might be the string spacing that is giving you the trouble. The CEO-7 has a wider string spacing at the bridge than your D-18v (which is a great guitar). You just might need to get use to adjusting to that string spacing more than anything..I know I did. That's why I have a D-18A, it has the wider string spacing..
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke

Last edited by jimcaleca; 05-26-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I’ve played a 02 d18v and found the ceo7 neck more comfortable than the d18v. I also thought it was different than the Clapton and I preferred the ceo7 to it, not just for the neck but the tone. I bought a used ceo7 and love it. But I found it harder to get used to the string spacing and easier to get used to v neck. I do struggle with getting my stubby thumb over the top for chords like an f or d, compared to a mlo neck like my hd28.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I am a 5’ tall lady with small hands. I have a 2015 CEO7 and used to have D18V (sold b/c of dread size not V neck). I find the V neck quite comfortable.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM

I'm a huge fan of the MLO necks - the most comfortable I've ever played. Simply put, "V" necks cause me pain and swelling. Which is why I've got a 00L-17, instead of the CEO-7. From what I've read, most people prefer the CEO-7, but I'm very happy with my choice. It's a lot of guitar for the money.

... JT
Old 05-26-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I'm a huge fan of the MLO necks - the most comfortable I've ever played. Simply put, "V" necks cause me pain and swelling. Which is why I've got a 00L-17, instead of the CEO-7. From what I've read, most people prefer the CEO-7, but I'm very happy with my choice. It's a lot of guitar for the money.
I haven't experienced much pain when playing guitars with V necks, but don't like them very much, either - I guess a more accurate way to describe it is that for me they're uncomfortable rather than painful. (Then again, I've never spent a great deal of time playing any of them, either - maybe pain would follow if I did.)

The modern neck profile Martin is using on most of their models these days is, for me, the most comfortable neck that Martin has ever made. So I'm a fan, and that's what I have on the three Martins I currently own.

Since as human beings we come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, it shouldn't be surprising that our hands and the geometric ratios of how our finger lengths compare to the size of our palms should come in a number of variations, as well. I wouldn't expect all of you to be able to fit into my shoes or trousers (and would be really annoyed if I were to come downstairs and find you trying them on...) so none of us should expect all of us to all like the same guitar neck profiles, either.

I remember way back in the RMMGA UseNet days there was a German guy on there who got really didactic with me when I expressed a preference for a slimmer neck profile than he liked. I was completely WRONG about that, he told me, chunkier neck profiles were obviously BETTER, and why was I spreading misinformation about fast necks being good when he'd just PROVEN that they weren't?

Even allowing for the fact that English wasn't his first language, he was being a pedantic dork about the whole thing. I had to tell him: "Look, Gunther, you don't have the same hands I have. How can you tell me what's more comfortable and musically effective for me?"

Short version: all of us should try a bunch of different neck profiles, see what works best for us, then not let any Internet bloviators tell us what we "should" prefer. Discover that for yourself, whatever your hand size and finger length might be. Because your hands aren't going to be exactly the same as the next person's hands.

We should all just be grateful that there are a number of different neck profiles to choose from.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion