The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
I’m really happy with my “entry” guitars, I’m not good enough to justify a high end guitar. But one day when I can make a $4,000 guitar sound like a $4,000 guitar I’ll own one.
A stellar guitar, which a $4,000 guitar should be, is going to sound like a stellar guitar irregardless of your skill level. What one will do is help you to become a better guitarist by being less forgiving and more responsive.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I’m a firefighter with two teenage daughters,the guitars I have are the best I can afford.
That is a very different answer compared to the "I'll get one when I am worthy" response.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It "shimmered." I was surprised by that. I expected just a J-45 tone, but with more volume, but it was anything but "just a big 45." I really liked it.
Lets see, $4000, assume no tax. In ten years it would have cot you $400 per year to have it to play. $33.34 per month, $8.34 per week, or $1.09 for each and every day. So tell me how you won't get $1.09 per day of value out if it?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It "shimmered." I was surprised by that.
Have you thought about what you'd play on that Gibson? IIRC you're heavy into your Avalon. The two seem very different. But then a shimmer is a shimmer.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Pretty much the opposite advice I gave my beginning students: buy the bast you can afford - you'll make more progress when you're not fighting your instrument in the playability and/or tone department - and it's more than coincidence that my two best students came to me on day one with a '51 Gibson L-4 and a '70 Ramirez (both inherited from deceased family members) respectively. If you have the means, don't think twice - IME fine instruments have an inherent magnetic effect, and you might be surprised at just how quickly you'll be able to "justify" your investment...
I my experience, it's all about how well the guitar is setup.
I went back and forth playing and not playing for years, until I got my hands on one that was incredibly well setup. It was so good that it even played better than my Gibson ES-335.
That was when I started getting serious about getting better, and everything improved after that.
And the guitar? A late 60's Fender Villager. Didn't sound great, but wow did it play great.
Now would I rather have had a well setup Martin? Sure.
But at the end of the day it just didn't matter to my playing.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 PM

Good if it pleased you.

We have to remember that two identical guitars made by same guys at same moments may sound differently. So a baseline guitar could sound great and even seems to make it against a renowked brand if you have a poor sample of that reknowned series in hand. Same from midrange to higher grade. That is why we have to try if we can.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:33 PM

I always thought I’d never plunk down several thousand for a guitar as it’s all bling after $1,500. I was wrong. I immediately felt the difference in quality of my Buscarino nylon ($3,600 used) as soon as I picked it up and held it—-just how the contours felt in my hands and against my body. And once I plugged it in and began to play, that was it—I knew it was going to be a lifelong relationship! And all of the things that bothered me about my Godin, this guitar corrected—-not only the sound and quality craftsmanship but how it feels as I play the guitar, as I move around the neck and how the contours feel and fit against my body.

And this might sound odd but the only thing I don’t care for is how pretty the Blackwood top is—-a little too pretty for my taste. I prefer the less showy look of my Godin—-hah!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Have you thought about what you'd play on that Gibson? IIRC you're heavy into your Avalon. The two seem very different. But then a shimmer is a shimmer.
Don't worry, for $4,000 I'd find something to play on it!

I'm really just looking to get a Furch cedar topped guitar to round out my herd when I retire within the next few years or so. I was in GC to pick up a strap for my J-45 and I somehow got lost and ended up in the acoustic room.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I’m really happy with my “entry” guitars, I’m not good enough to justify a high end guitar. But one day when I can make a $4,000 guitar sound like a $4,000 guitar I’ll own one.
I was the same way. One day you'll be playing with someone that has a high end guitar. You might hit the same chord at the same time. Maybe you might saw WOW! what a difference. Maybe not. I cannot begin to describe the joy of owning a decent Martin. (There are many other Gibson, Taylor Guild etc.) The difference in tone is incredibile. Either way keep strumming!

Best,

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM

It is definitely fun to play something out of your affordability range sometimes. It also is okay to dream big. I started out on a cheap plywood classical with a unwieldy neck and horrible intonation. Never thought then that 20 years down the road I would have the chance to own that Ramirez in my signature! Meanwhile, the most important thing is to find something you love to play and you can afford. Musicianship isn’t dependent on having something really expensive (even if it seems that way on this forum sometimes!). And enjoy those chances to try something special!
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 05-26-2019, 05:06 PM

not knocking you -but 4 grand is about average right now for a better than decent guitar -
thou you can still buy great used guitars for about 2-3 grand.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I’m a firefighter with two teenage daughters,the guitars I have are the best I can afford.
Thank you for your service!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
not knocking you -but 4 grand is about average right now for a better than decent guitar -
thou you can still buy great used guitars for about 2-3 grand.
Actually, $4000 for a SJ-200 good enough to impress Barry is very reasonable.

There are plenty less impressive and more expensive ones out there.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion