The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Rare Earth Blend Volume

Someone loaned me a very old Rare Earth pickup. It has no volume control...only a 2 way switch on the bottom. In testing, the Volume/Gain
output was very low...way lower than my passive Black Angel. Are the
new ones, particularly the new Mic Blend version higher in output?
I recall a poster mentioning that the output was low on the older model
RE Blend.

The pickup didn't sound bad at all and am thinking of trying one, but it
is not worth trying if I must use a preamp anyway.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone have any info on this? Are there happy Rare Earth Mic Blend Users out there? or even folks using the Humbucking model without the
mic.........as I understand it has a volume control.
Thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:52 AM

I bought a new Rare Earth Blend pickup in 2018. It has a very low output. Even when paired with a Platinum Stage DI/Preamp, the output is very low. In the church PA we have to be at or over 3/4ths of the way up and me using the volume boost on the Platinum Stage to be heard. It works but there is little headroom left.

I've also found that I cannot use it (and the Platinum Stage) with some acoustic amps because the amps don't have enough built in gain to boost the incoming signal to a level where I can utilize the potential of the amp. I've tried it with a Fishman Mini, and various acoustic amps by Marshall and Fender. It might work with a Bose S1 Pro or Loudbox Artist, but like the church PA, there was so little headroom left that if things got loud I questioned whether I could dial up enough volume to compete. I've considered buying a separate signal booster, but that defeats the purpose of having a convenient plug and play acoustic amp.

So my solution when I play out and don't plug into a house PA is to use a Yamaha mixer. Plugged into a Yamaha mixer, the pickup's level is boosted enough by the mixer to play into anything. And since I needed a mixer with this pickup, I play through powered speakers instead of acoustic combo amps. And frankly, I think the mixer and powered speaker combination gives a better sound dollar for dollar vs combo amps. Carrying and setting up a mixer + powered speaker combination is a bit less convenient than setting up the acoustic combo amp would be though, especially since my mixer needs power as well.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks archerscreek. Is yours the latest version with the bass rolloff switch?
I think 2018 was the intro of the new model, but a lot of the old ones were
still on the shelf.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:08 PM

Yeah, mine has the switch. I mistakenly had it engaged (flipped up it cuts bass) and thought the guitar that night sounded too thin, even after I cranked the bass on the Platinum Stage. I asked some musicians afterwards about the sound and no one else noticed, however.

Some other points that might help. The pickup is easier for me to tune regarding EQ when installed in my dread with mahogany back and sides vs my dread with rosewood back and sides. Alsi, I've never had any issues with feedback, and like most reviewers I keep my blend roughly 50/50 mic/magnetic pickup. And regarding feedback, I have shared different stages with others who have had feedback issues with their pickups.

Because of the S1 Pro's portability and because multiple vendor's have a liberal return policy, including direct orders from Bose, I'm tempted to get an S1 Pro and put the pickup/S1 combo through a multi-venue test. If only they'd apply their holiday discount to the Bose. We'll see. Haha
Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again. I use a Schertler AG-6 + S-Mic in my main guitar and
a Black Angel in my other 2 Goodalls. I am happy with the sound I get
with the passive BA, and also my active AG-6 combo. I was looking
to see if there was an alternative Active sound-hole pu to consider before
I got a another AG-6. It sounds like the RE Blend is not worth the
effort to try in my situation. My only 'issue' with the BA was having
to put 'gain' in the chain.

Thanks for saving me the hassle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification