The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 AM

You could look into the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. Its still classified as a dread but is slightly smaller. Its the same dimensions as the previously mentioned Hummingbird Pro.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I have a Martin OM-28 which is a wonderful guitar, especially for fingerpicking. However, it just doesn't seem to have the kind of bass I want to hear when strumming, and as a result, I am considering purchasing a second guitar, a dreadnought (but not something like a Martin dread Jr.).

In trying some out, I've found that my 5'6" 66 year old body isn't taking too kindly to the larger size, especially when seated which is predominantly how I play. I've tried some square shouldered dreads and some slope shouldered dreads, with typical dimensions of around 5" of depth at the end pin and around 16" in the lower bout width. They feel cumbersome and place my right shoulder at an uncomfortable angle, something I do not experience when playing my OM. For reference, the OM is 4 1/8" deep and its lower bout width is 15".

So, is there a dreadnought that exists that has something closer to a 15 1/2" lower bout width and 4 1/2" depth that is not something I would have to order as a custom guitar? I would like to keep the pricing around D-18/J-45 range, around $2500, less would be better. I'm used to a 1 3/4" nut but am open to the 1 11/16" nut if necessary, same thing with scale length, I'm good with long or short scale. I'm not hung up on buying American if there is a high quality Asian (Eastman?) product that would fit my criteria. Thanks.
Shekie,
Here is exactly what you want, at a price you may not be so happy with, but it's available NOW, and I can guarantee you'll be the only kid on the block, or continent, with one:

https://reverb.com/item/22198712-mar...-1965-mahogany

You're quite welcome. I feel your pain, and that's exactly why I had David Flammang make my L-40 with a 3 & 7/8" depth at the tailblock.

Regards,
Howard
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Check out a Larrivee *L* body, that might do the trick
This^^^^ will do the trick.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM

I have shoulder pain when I play large guitars and had to sell my Goodall concert jumbo because of it, sad to say. Recently I bought a Larrivee SD-40, which is a 12 fret slope-shouldered dreadnaught. The lower bout is only 15" wide and I have no pain when I play it. It sounds great too.

2018 Santa Cruz 1929-00
2019 Larrivee SD-40
2019 Martin 000-28
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM

The two m36 that I have played did not sound like a dread at all. In fact I can't put my finger on exactly what they were akin to. They seemed to be their own unique beast. They were not surround by or awash with bass that I expect a good dread to be. They seemed to me to be fantastic outright strummers just not dread like.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM

To all those suggesting GA/0000/M guitars, keep in mind the OP did mention this:

Quote:
I've also tried out some Grand Auditorium's which typically have a 16" lower bout width and a 4 1/2" depth. The narrower waist lets the guitar sit lower on me and makes it more comfortable, but the sound is so close to my OM it isn't worth shelling out the money for something so similar to what I already own.
As another poster noted, Santa Cruz dreads are slightly smaller all around.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:13 PM

Two 'bassier' OM alternatives, without the 'bloated' dreadnought waist would be:
- (as mentioned) a Martin 0000/M36 - dreadnought sized lower bout but less body depth
- a deep-body OM; Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz all make OM-sized guitars with dreadnought body depths.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM

Something with a Manzer Wedge™ would do the trick, perfectly. I speak from experience.

As to your budget, you can't take it with you when you're gone, and your kids will just squander the money, anyway, so ..............
Old 05-23-2019, 01:42 PM

Wow, thank you for all the great responses, especially the tip on that 1965 $9750 thin body Martin on Reverb. I would just lose that one in the divorce settlement.

So many options, will have to start piling through and see what is realistic and what I can find locally to try out, as I much prefer playing the guitar I'm going to purchase rather than taking a chance sight unseen buying online.

One guitar that has caught my eye that I can find within roughly an hour's drive is an Eastman E10ss slope shoulder that seems have slightly smaller dimensions at 15 3/4" lower bout width and 4 1/2" depth (although different websites are showing varying measurements) than the typical dreadnought. The price is also a little a lot easier on the budget than some of the American made guitars. If anyone owns one and can chime in with their thoughts and experiences with this model, I'd appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the recommendations
Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 PM

I've also tried out some Grand Auditorium's which typically have a 16" lower bout width and a 4 1/2" depth. The narrower waist lets the guitar sit lower on me and makes it more comfortable, but the sound is so close to my OM it isn't worth shelling out the money for something so similar to what I already own.

Perhaps you should try out a full jumbo. The narrower waist might make it comfortable enough to play. I have a Guild GAD JF30 Blonde that doesn't lack in the bass department.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I have a Martin OM-28 which is a wonderful guitar, especially for fingerpicking. However, it just doesn't seem to have the kind of bass I want to hear when strumming, and as a result, I am considering purchasing a second guitar, a dreadnought (but not something like a Martin dread Jr.).

In trying some out, I've found that my 5'6" 66 year old body isn't taking too kindly to the larger size, especially when seated which is predominantly how I play. I've tried some square shouldered dreads and some slope shouldered dreads, with typical dimensions of around 5" of depth at the end pin and around 16" in the lower bout width. They feel cumbersome and place my right shoulder at an uncomfortable angle, something I do not experience when playing my OM. For reference, the OM is 4 1/8" deep and its lower bout width is 15".

So, is there a dreadnought that exists that has something closer to a 15 1/2" lower bout width and 4 1/2" depth that is not something I would have to order as a custom guitar? I would like to keep the pricing around D-18/J-45 range, around $2500, less would be better. I'm used to a 1 3/4" nut but am open to the 1 11/16" nut if necessary, same thing with scale length, I'm good with long or short scale. I'm not hung up on buying American if there is a high quality Asian (Eastman?) product that would fit my criteria. Thanks.
Because an OM-28 is apparently a comfortable guitar for you to play, a Martin 000-28 Norman Blake (Adirondack/rosewood) or a 000-18 Norman Blake (alpine spruce/mahogany) might be worth considering. The soundhole is 00-sized; scalloped, forward x-bracing; and 12-fret design. These guitars offer a bit more bass than "regular" 000-series Martins. However, they do have a 1 13/16" nut; so that needs to be taken into consideration.They're no longer current production, although you might get one through the Custom Shop. Nonetheless, used ones do come along. In the meantime, you can always YouTube either version and hear how they kinda sound through a small speaker.

BTW, the first 100 of the 000-28 Norman Blake used Brazilian Rosewood; after that, East Indian Rosewood was used. Approximately 350 total were made. So if you see some wide price differentials on the used market for that model, that could be the reason.

Last edited by NursingDaBlues; 05-23-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Default another suggestion

This conversation seems to be loaded with suggestions that OP hasn't tried yet, and would take years to accomplish if they all were attempted. So I'm making one more: OP, go to a Martin dealer and try a Dread Jr. If you like it, you're done looking and you have both a legitimate solid-body Martin, and a bank balance, too. You're not playing a checkbook, but a guitar.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I'd second the old version of the Martin D Jr. If you can find a good one it's a very satisfying guitar, I've played D-18s I didn't think sounded as good as my D Jr.

But, it's way under budget and certainly not gloss finished like an Eastman. Good luck!

BTW, i play 00 sized guitars and bought the Martin for a cabin guitar, the 7/8th D size makes it just as comfortable to play as my 00s.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Top end of your budget, but if you are lucky, I'd suggest a used Collings C10 or OM deep body or a Huss and Dalton CM model. I own both a C10 and a CM and they are very comfortable to play.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I am going to to second the notion of a 0000/M/ grand auditorium.

It is more comfortable than a dread and has very good bass response. It can be played fingerstyle/strummed/flatpicked.

IMO, it is a too well kept secret and is a great Jack of All Trades guitar.

I don't suppose it gets the "it's a canon" recognition but it is not a shy guitar either.

If I had to choose just one guitar it would be a 0000-18.

Good luck with your search.
I third the Martin '0000' Quad body or 'M" Series recommendation it is everything that's been said about it. Also Check out a Martin 7-28 if you can find one. They're a 7/8 scale sized martin Dreadnought probably just a custom shop order these days. Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion