The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The Laney Cub 12R is a pretty nice little tube powered amp. It comes in at just under $500. There is a Monoprice version that is even less for basically the same amp.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...n=q2_2016_test

They got wise - this one could've been had had for $169 direct about 6 months ago...
Old 05-25-2019, 05:21 PM

these are all good. i gotta buy one of them . it seems the Bugera v5 is right. a few years ago i bought a Boss Katana . it was too complicated ! got rid of it !!i want something where i can play cleanly thru a Tele and maybe put a mic in front of it and run it thru my fishman soloamp. ... I'm thinking that "Mystery Train" sound .. know what i mean? thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:54 AM

Another consideration is finding a used VHT Special 6 Ultra.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Another consideration is finding a used VHT Special 6 Ultra.
I did a lot of reading on that amp about 3 years ago. I wanted to buy one but they weren't available locally and it would have been a special order. I haven't heard anything about them the past couple of years now.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:02 PM

well i bought the Bugera v5 today [ Memorial Day sale]plus 30 percent off! took it outside with a beer and a slide. really cool. only i wish it had a cleaner tone. always sounds like it wants to break up. ..advice on volume and gain control? not an electric player.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I did a lot of reading on that amp about 3 years ago. I wanted to buy one but they weren't available locally and it would have been a special order. I haven't heard anything about them the past couple of years now.
In my research I got down to the VHT and the Bugera. I couldn't find that model VHT anywhere to try, but GC had the Bugera on the floor, and after demoing it I, bought it.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-26-2019, 03:58 PM

I bought the monoprice 15w 12" tube amp with spring reverb for 200. I and my teacher really like it.I value his opinion as he is a 45+year player/teacher and really know his stuff. Okay, its not going to fill a concert hall but for home or small gig use its great. I have found out that is likes telecaster/stratocaster single coil systems better than Epiphone/Gibson humucker equipped guitars. Acoustics p/u systems do not sound the best thru this either but I have amps for that. If you want to get into tube tone but not spend a lot then try one out.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
well i bought the Bugera v5 today [ Memorial Day sale]plus 30 percent off! took it outside with a beer and a slide. really cool. only i wish it had a cleaner tone. always sounds like it wants to break up. ..advice on volume and gain control? not an electric player.
Gain real low, volume all the way up and tone dimed.

It's nigh impossible to get SUPER clean tones out of most 5 watt tube amps.

Silverface Champs are probably the best in this regard.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 PM

thank you roylor , and everyone for your help!!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Well, I bought the Bugera V5 today [Memorial Day sale] plus 30 percent off!...really cool. only I wish it had a cleaner tone. always sounds like it wants to break up...advice on volume and gain control? Not an electric player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Gain real low, volume all the way up and tone dimed.

It's nigh impossible to get SUPER clean tones out of most 5 watt tube amps.
Roy definitely put you on the right track - don't expect the clarity and headroom of a ten-tube, 100W Twin Reverb from a five-watter with a single low-output power tube; you'll also learn with time how to control your tone, and not only with the expected combination of guitar and amp control settings - many experienced electric players can ride the ragged edge between "big-clean" and the onset of overdrive by touch alone. BTW the V5's gain, tone, and volume controls are highly interactive, and you'll need to play around a bit to find your own sweet spot; trust me, it's in there - along with a whole bunch of other highly useful tones - and FWIW this "discovery" aspect is half the fun of owning a minimalist tube amp of this type...

FYI I'm also running a set of these in my own amp, and IME flipping the money you saved on your initial purchase into some primo-quality tubes (as I did) will take your amp to the next level:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v5-premium-package

While this setup works for me - the power tube is Soviet-era mil-spec, less brash-sounding than a typical EL84 tube, and in conjunction with the Infinium circuitry it'll probably outlive your grandchildren - some guys use a 5751 preamp tube in place of the 12AX7, to lower the initial gain factor and clean up the tone a bit more; please note that IME you'll also be dropping the volume - just how much depends on the guitar you'll be using - so you'll want to take that into consideration as well. There's also another V5 owner here on the AGF (whose name escapes me right now) who's had a lot of success with a Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp tube and a JJ EL84 power tube in his own amp - thetubestore.com offers this setup as their "value package" (about half the price of what I'm running), so if cost is a major factor this one might be well worth a look...

Good luck with your new amp - use it well, often and LOUD...
Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM

thanks a million Steve!!great info !!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM

Lol, that link to the tube store is dangerous. There is nothing the matter with my stock PRRI, and I have not even begun to really explore how it sounds on different tone settings on the amp and guitar, but I read that site and already I am wanting a deluxe tube replacement kit.

Fortunately, I have some resistance to this (at least for the moment). Otherwise, I would own fifty guitars and fifty amps (instead of one acoustic and one electric and one beater).
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Used Fender DR RI.

Last edited by Spenceroo; 06-05-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Lol, that link to the tube store is dangerous...Fortunately, I have some resistance to this (at least for the moment). Otherwise, I would own fifty guitars and fifty amps (instead of one acoustic and one electric and one beater).
I fail to see the problem...
Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I fail to see the problem...
My wife sees it very clearly . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars