The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 06:57 PM

I have found that I prefer the short scale of the 000's compared with the typical OM. I would suggest you play a few of those...just in case!
So much fun though!
scott
Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. As crazy as it sounds, the availability of the higher end guitars in Atlanta isn't all that great. As far as I know, there are 2 shops that cary these types of guitars, and I'm lucky if they have 1 of any particular brand in stock, and if they do, chances are it won't be the model I'm looking for.

Nashville is only 4 hours away. Sounds like a great excuse for a weekend trip!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. As crazy as it sounds, the availability of the higher end guitars in Atlanta isn't all that great. As far as I know, there are 2 shops that cary these types of guitars, and I'm lucky if they have 1 of any particular brand in stock, and if they do, chances are it won't be the model I'm looking for.

Nashville is only 4 hours away. Sounds like a great excuse for a weekend trip!
This really is the correct answer. Keep an eye on GC's used site as stuff will pop through on a one-off basis. I love Maple Street dearly, but if you're looking for breadth of stock in hand, Atlanta's one vs. Nashville's several several is hardly a fair fight.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Look for something different sounding before getting another too similar. Rosewood vs mahogany, or Sitka vs cedar, etc.

Make sure the strings are fairly new on all of the ones you try. Ask to have them changed if you are seriously considering one but the strings seem old.

Guitars NEVER sound the same in large room as they do in your home. Different room acoustics affect guitars differently. 1) Take your Eastman with you to the store to help you A/B. Let the store know as you arrive. 2) Ask to try a couple in a smaller room (like a lesson room).
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is another shop in town that has Furch, Santa Cruz and a few other high end brands. I'll get out there sooner or later to check them out.
I have been checking out Furch guitars for a couple of years now. I was having trouble finding one I wanted when I was ready to buy so I got an Avalon instead. Probably one of the smartest things I ever did. BUT I still have gas for a Furch. The G23 (yellow) looks and sounds really good online (cedar/walnut or rosewood or hog). That body size is the like the Taylor GA size.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Look for something different sounding before getting another too similar. Rosewood vs mahogany, or Sitka vs cedar, etc.

Make sure the strings are fairly new on all of the ones you try. Ask to have them changed if you are seriously considering one but the strings seem old.

Guitars NEVER sound the same in large room as they do in your home. Different room acoustics affect guitars differently. 1) Take your Eastman with you to the store to help you A/B. Let the store know as you arrive. 2) Ask to try a couple in a smaller room (like a lesson room).
Thanks for that. Your suggestion of bringing the Eastman makes a lot of sense. I will most certainly do that next visit.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:22 PM

A little update to this; went and played a Santa Cruz PW/OM, a Lowden and a couple of different Huss and Dalton's today, including a 12 fretter. They were all fantastic. That Santa Cruz was great, but a little too much midrange for my taste. The one that really stood out was the H&D TOM-R. I'm going to have to go back and try that one again. That is the sound I have in my head.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:02 PM

I've had a James Goodall standard model (basically dreadnot in size and shape) for years that I'll take to the grave. But a little while back I began jonesing for a smaller OM size guitar. I also became obsessed with the idea of a cedar top steel string. I played quite a few medium size guitars in the process. I finally decided on a Takemine TF77-PT. That is code for their pro quality OM with a cedar top and solid koa back and sides. It has a beautiful tobacco sunburst finish and looks great without a cut-away. As long as there are 14 frets clear it works fine for me.

This guitar was $1600.00 out the door, but truly compares to guitars that cost twice that and more including a cedar Lowden I played for quite a while. It's a fantastic guitar for finger picking on the sofa in the evening after work.

DanO
Old 05-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A little update to this; went and played a Santa Cruz PW/OM, a Lowden and a couple of different Huss and Dalton's today, including a 12 fretter. They were all fantastic. That Santa Cruz was great, but a little too much midrange for my taste. The one that really stood out was the H&D TOM-R. I'm going to have to go back and try that one again. That is the sound I have in my head.
Are you still thinking about taking a trip to Memphis?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:56 PM

If you like the martin OM28 I would definately recommend trying a furch. The vintage series are based on martin but with their own voicing, incredibly responsive, well balanced and impeccably built. I had an OM33SR and it was unbelievable, I ended up sticking with an OM32SM as I prefered mahogany at the time but boy I would love to still have it. Get yourself to a furch dealer!

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 05-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
If you like the martin OM28 I would definately recommend trying a furch. The vintage series are based on martin but with their own voicing, incredibly responsive, well balanced and impeccably built. I had an OM33SR and it was unbelievable, I ended up sticking with an OM32SM as I prefered mahogany at the time but boy I would love to still have it. Get yourself to a furch dealer!
I agree 100%. If you have the opportunity, check out a Furch. They are amazing guitars. You can pick up a used one at a great price. I just picked this OM up and I can’t put it down. it’s a Deep Body, Cedar top with Rosewood back and sides ....WOW

Red OM-CR DB
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-26-2019, 06:27 PM

I found my Larrivée OM-O3 (bear claw & mahogany) used, and it's become my main squeeze by a wide margin. Bought for the comfortable size, I was quite surprised by the clear, beautiful, balanced tone. At $750 used, minty with hsc, the value imo is pretty incredible. When I emailed, at 3 am, I received a reply, at 6:45 -- with an exact date & details on my guitar's bear claw top. I've always been impressed with Jean's amazing cs, but they had no idea I was a repeat customer.

I found the Larrivée, the guitar I needed, and had the majority of my budget still intact. Left me the freedom to take chances on others, the guitars I just wanted. It's worked out well.

All I do is play guitar, and when people warn me I play too much, I think the variety may have served me well for overuse injuries. Everything I was aware of said that it was precise movements that tended to cause the injury. Different radius, nut width & spacing options may be part of the reason I haven't had problems. Work took out my shoulder, which left me playing thru pain, if I wanted to play. Led me to switch from dread's. So much nicer--not to hurt.

When my attention starts to wane, then it's time to pick up one of the others -- and I'm back into the zone. After supper, I pick up another (or two), but the Larrivée usually takes me to the wee hours, like a perfect pair of old slippers. Just feels so right.

Good luck.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 05-26-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:21 AM

Do yourself a favour and try a Boucher OM if you can find one. A top contender too.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois OMSC

If I could ever afford it, or develop the talent to justify it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrEBmcjKVk
Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 PM

Small body fan here. OM and Concert mostly, but I have a 0017S Martin and it's by far the best guitar I've played for what I prefer and meets ALL my needs.

I'm still blown away by the voice this little beast has!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion