The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amears View Post
I appreciate all the recommendations. I've looked at the all of them and they all have something to recommend them. Still, I think I'll swallow hard about my installation concerns and go with the K&K Pure Mini. There seems to be a lot of love for that one in this and other threads, and I also put stock in the fact that Martin recommended it as the best choice.

Thanks to all.
Now that you've made your decision...

For a truly special expensive authentic reissue you should consider an HFN with a Vintage Jack. A completely reversible installation.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-18-2019, 09:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Depending on venue and chosen songs for gigs or busking, I might grab any of my of my 7 acoustics.
Imagine the price of 7 good pickups after installation.
That's one reason my DPA was a steal at $619.
It's a Danish Professional Audio (aka DPA) d:vote 4099G.
The sound is so clear and honest that I'd still buy it if I had only one guitar.

Watch the video in this link.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-mounting-clip

It takes seconds to move it between guitars.
No holes to drill or installations to pay for.
No dead batteries to ruin your performance or leaky ones to muck up your guitar.
No worry about tone compromise from putting an UST between your saddle and bridge.

I'd describe its sound as invisible ... no sound at all ... just your acoustic's natural sound, only louder.
None of that artificial bass boost so common in many pickups.
It's like gigging with a high-end studio condenser (actually, that's what it is) without being handcuffed to a mic stand.
To a degree I can equalize and mitigate feedback my simply repointing the tiny shotgun element on its tiny gooseneck in a different direction.

Three caveats:
It requires 48v phantom power.
If my hand bumps the clip it may fall off, so I use a couple inches of gaffer tape to secure the clip to the side of the guitar.
If you play in a large band with no sound man in a high-volume venue (I don't) other pickups may have better resistance to feedback.
This one is intriguing. Expensive however, so my question is: Do you feel it gets in the way when you play? If so, at least in the beginning, how long did it take you to get used to it? thanks
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
What do you like better about the dazzo? More natural tone? I haven’t heard better acoustic pickup tone than the k&k but am always looking for “better” :-)
I am in the process of changing all my K+K to either Dazzo or Schatten.
To my ear both bring a little more 'air' and both lack the midrange hump of the K+K that might make the sound a little warmer and punchy, but ultimately do not reflect the true sound of the guitar.

I might give a slight edge to Dazzo, but they are both an improvement on K+K (which has been the best I've used for over 5 years).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I am in the process of changing all my K+K to either Dazzo or Schatten.

To my ear both bring a little more 'air' and both lack the midrange hump of the K+K that might make the sound a little warmer and punchy, but ultimately do not reflect the true sound of the guitar.

I might give a slight edge to Dazzo, but they are both an improvement on K+K (which has been the best I've used for over 5 years).

Dazzo is the only one I haven’t tried. I’m eager to get my hands on a set and give them a try. But, I’m satisfied with the K&K for the moment and don’t want to do the surgery. :-)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
What do you like better about the dazzo? More natural tone? I haven’t heard better acoustic pickup tone than the k&k but am always looking for “better” :-)
IMHO the Dazzo sounds more natural than any other pickup, yes. The K&K is very good, but the Dazzo lacks the boominess in the lower register and the brittleness in the upper mids and is less prone to feedback while sounding as close to a miked guitar as it gets. I use it in five different sounding guitars, and the Dazzo is able to transduce the different sounds to the P.A.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 05-25-2019, 09:00 AM

A quick update: I did install a K&K Pure Mini and it sounds great. I figured out that the LR Baggs Anthem SL that was "installed" was actually not completely installed. The UST could not be run properly since the D18 Authentic 1939 has a glued-in saddle - so the tech just left that part out. All that was functioning was the microphone part. Makes sense not that the sound was very weak and thin.

Anyway, I am very satisfied with the Pure Mini. It has a sound fairly true to the instrument, and with just a little tweaking of the EQ I can get it right here it needs to be.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I use K&ks and have for years. I use this one in my Authentic. Same good sound, no glue. http://www.acousticon.com/mcintyre.htm
Never heard of this company. How does it install?
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 04-22-2024, 09:07 PM

Default Martin Authentic Pick up options

I’ve tried a couple different pick up options in Martin authentics and found a nice balance with the Schatten HFN active pick up in combination with the Sunnaudio stage 2 DI. The pick up itself isn’t too invasive b/c of the double sided tape (incredible bond) or putty alternative that holds the pick up to the bottom side of the bridge. I mentioned the Sunnaudio b/c it allows a High Pass Filter adjustment which is super easy to use and allows you to dial your sound in regardless of the room size. Good luck to you and your sound search
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

A bit late to the party, but I've had Dazzos in all my guitars for seven or eight years now. The Dazzo/SunnAudio combo meets all my needs. I've taken K&Ks out of guitars within weeks of buying K&K equipped guitars. The primary reason is matching the pickup to the guitar. The K&K just needs too much EQ for me. Get the right Dazzo and they sound flat. I have not used EQ much if ever with Dazzos. I do think they sound better too. The K&K is a one size fits none approach the needs a hi pass filter and a couple of parametric EQ channels. They can be made to sound very good, but I can't be bothered. The SunnAudio gain stage sounds very good as well.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification