The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Doug,
A very well covered lesson in terms of playing and information provided.
One feature of the program I thought was interesting, especially in alternative tunings like DADGAD, is the fretboard look option where the note names are matched to their corresponding frets. So, it effectively provides standard notation, TAB, and location all in one sequence. That can be especially useful in certain explanatory sections of your tutorial, like the descending bass line, or the basic melody. Perhaps less so when you're actually playing the piece where things are moving at too fast of a clip, but "noteworthy" for the discussion sections.
I thought the speed adjustment function was also well done, although more so for the guitar playing part. (At 50% you sound like you spent the morning before the lesson in a NAPA winery ) but I suppose that is difficult for them to pull off. Programs like Amazing Slow Downer also do a similar job of maintaining pitch levels.
Lastly, I thought the most important part was that it freed you up to concentrate on the real key aspects of your lesson, like your tips on arranging a tune, phrasing, etc..., rather than the mechanics of it, and that can be a lot more useful for the learner in the long run.
All in all, I liked it! I think it's an excellent tool with lots of potential to send those "third finger on the 5th string 4th fret" tutorials the way of the dinosaurs.
Thanks, Andre, I hadn't even looked at the fretboard view, I'm impressed that it works and understands I'm in DADGAD!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM

That's super Doug. Very user friendly for a non-tech old guy like me. I would gladly pay for future lessons (just not into DAGDAD, but drop D ok). Here's hoping that you develop this for mass distribution and keep us informed. Man thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I look forward to checking this out, Doug, so thanks for posting. I have a feeling that "Napa wine setting speed" (thanks, Andre.) will work well for me. I have always loved your arrangement of Shenandoah.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I look forward to checking this out, Doug, so thanks for posting. I have a feeling that "Napa wine setting speed" (thanks, Andre.) will work well for me. I have always loved your arrangement of Shenandoah.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks, Jayne. That's a great idea for Andre and the soundslice guys - instead of the boring % speed, they could have settings from "Napa Wine Afternoon" to "Caffeinated Monday" :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write