The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 AM

Default Leo kottke

I saw Leo Kottke Sat nite. Very small venue, seats were front row center. It doesn't get much better than that. Great show, just Leo and his two guitars.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I saw Leo Kottke Sat nite. Very small venue, seats were front row center. It doesn't get much better than that. Great show, just Leo and his two guitars.
In Newark, by chance?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Newark, NJ? What's the small venue?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Newark, NJ? What's the small venue?
Ooops, I meant Newark OH. I just found out that he was there on Sunday, not Saturday when hat saw him.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM

No, it was in Nashville, IN - the other Nashville! lol A little theater called the Brown County Playhouse - seats about 300.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM

I sat front row center at his feet for a show a couple years ago and admired the duct tape holding his guitar together. Come to think of it maybe I should try duct tape. Leo sounded great.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
No, it was in Nashville, IN - the other Nashville! lol A little theater called the Brown County Playhouse - seats about 300.
Yes, I was there too. Also front row center. My wife and I were 5 and 6 in line so we were probably right next to you. I was going to ask if anyone there was an AGF member but didn't. Obviously I should have. The last time I saw Leo was in 2016 so the full white beard was a little bit unexpected. Pretty good show. I saw him twice in Indiana in 2016, and I thought he was enjoying himself a little more this time. Plus all of his stories were new (at least to me).

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Default I saw Kottke

...in Minneapolis at their grand old theater downtown, back in the mid 70s. He slayed.

Then in the mid-80s when he played Austin City Limits I got to see him there. He slayed again.

I worked at KLRU, where ACL was recorded at the time, so when the concert was done and the people were herded out, he came to the control room and watched the raw record of the show. I got to hang out and watch him watch the show, him commenting occasionally--"whoops, I blew that."

It was fun, but I was so intimidated that I didn't go up to him and do the fan thing. No pictures, nothin'. So it goes.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Saw him at the Belly Up in Solana Beach over 20 years ago, sat about 15 feet from him, got to shake his hand afterward and marvel at his right thumb, LOL. To this day my favorite concert.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
Yes, I was there too. Also front row center. My wife and I were 5 and 6 in line so we were probably right next to you. I was going to ask if anyone there was an AGF member but didn't. Obviously I should have. The last time I saw Leo was in 2016 so the full white beard was a little bit unexpected. Pretty good show. I saw him twice in Indiana in 2016, and I thought he was enjoying himself a little more this time. Plus all of his stories were new (at least to me).
Most likely so! I was actually wondering the same thing as we stood in line. I was the guy with the black hat, and grey whiskers!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM

i've seen leo 37 or 39 times in 45 years (i've lost count, but i keep ticket stubs).
obsessed?
yeah, a bit.
his style has changed a lot in 45 years, and his repertoire has narrowed these last few years, but his shows are as unique as ever. i'd be happy to pay ticket prices just to see him sit on stage and talk. best comedian around!
no one will EVER recreate his sound, at least to my satisfaction. truly, one of a kind!
if you haven't seen him, GO! he's 73 now, and time is running out.
my #1 fave living guitarist!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN