The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Gibson's rough-hewn construction/finishing isn't limited to the Studios! I'm surprised at the frets, though, as I thought they all were pleked. I have a 339 and a 390, and their frets don't buzz with a properly adjusted neck (relief) and action at 3-4/64 on the bass E, 3/64 on the treble E. Maybe you need to add a little relief (loosen the truss rod a bit).

When I got my 390 new, I contacted Gibson because I was missing my owner's manual and was told that, unlike my Epi guitars, it didn't come with one, or with a truss rod tool. The 339 I got used.

I'm still in my "what makes higher-cost guitars worth the money?" phase and I am just amazed at how alive/vibrant both of my gibsons are - everything vibrates from the end pin to the headstock - and they feel/play great. The electronics are also amazing (my '18 339 has the MHS II pickups). Part of that may be down to the ABR-1 bridge, as it's screwed right into the wood, rather than into a metal grommet set into the wood.

I might like a little more neck girth, though, as I'm finding I really like the '59 style that's on my '93 LP Studio, but it's too early in my education to settle on a neck profile - I'm trying them all! Certainly, the 339's C neck is very playable, and it's possible much more neck might have resulted in neck dive.

Sure, they're sloppily put together and finished, but I do like the final result.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars