The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Help? JJB 330 installation problem: E, A, B, and high E weak as can be

Hi, everyone -

So I just glued in a JJB 330 into my Taylor GS Mini. Template, etc. Gel superglue.

All transducers worked when I glued it in - all three were making noise through an amp.

String up through an amp, the E, A, B, and high E strings are very weak. D and G sound out loud and clear. It’s like only the middle transducer is working.

Any ideas? All three seem glued in tight.

Help?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Jesse would be the best person to ask. He usually responds within a day- I'd email him and see if this is something he has heard of before

http://jjb-electronics.com/contact_us.html
Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Jesse would be the best person to ask. He usually responds within a day- I'd email him and see if this is something he has heard of before

http://jjb-electronics.com/contact_us.html
Thanks! Good idea. I'll email him and see what he thinks.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM

What amp are you using, and which input are you plugging into? It could be an input impedance issue.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Jesse is a great guy and will help you out any way he can.

Trying different phase settings may help.

I have installed several K&K or JJB pickups over the last decade or so with never a problem. Then I bought an Alvarez AF60 and installed a JJB in it. I had the same problem. String imbalance. I removed it and Jesse was kind enough to send another under the assumption that it defective in some way. Nope. Exact same problem all over. Same imbalance again on the same strings. Don't want to discourage you but I came to the conclusion that there was an issue with the bridge plate as in inconsistent density of wood or the grain of it. I didn't know what else it could be. I ended up removing it also.

I knew a fellow who had a Taylor with a K&K installed and installation looked good. He had the same problem. Maybe there are the odd rare guitars out there that are not meant for thee type of pickups. Don't know.

Good luck.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
What amp are you using, and which input are you plugging into? It could be an input impedance issue.
I was plugging into a Zoom A3 - Boss looper - Soundcraft mixer - Sennheiser headphones. Could there be an issue with this chain? I'll try it straight into my Fishman tonight after I replace the speaker in it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 05-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
I was plugging into a Zoom A3 - Boss looper - Soundcraft mixer - Sennheiser headphones. Could there be an issue with this chain? I'll try it straight into my Fishman tonight after I replace the speaker in it.
If you are using the pickup input on the A3 (as opposed to the microphone input) then it should be fine I think, though I've never used one. But this post -> https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=464746 might be relevant.

Good idea to remove some of the chain just for checking though, in case there's something weird in there.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Jesse is a great guy and will help you out any way he can.

Trying different phase settings may help.

I have installed several K&K or JJB pickups over the last decade or so with never a problem. Then I bought an Alvarez AF60 and installed a JJB in it. I had the same problem. String imbalance. I removed it and Jesse was kind enough to send another under the assumption that it defective in some way. Nope. Exact same problem all over. Same imbalance again on the same strings. Don't want to discourage you but I came to the conclusion that there was an issue with the bridge plate as in inconsistent density of wood or the grain of it. I didn't know what else it could be. I ended up removing it also.

I knew a fellow who had a Taylor with a K&K installed and installation looked good. He had the same problem. Maybe there are the odd rare guitars out there that are not meant for thee type of pickups. Don't know.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info!

Well, I don't think it's a phase thing. Plugged it directly into my Fishman Loudbox (replaced a speaker in it today) and I'm getting the same situation no matter if I hit the phase button or not. The middle two strings ring out clear, the other four are barely there.

I have an email out to Jesse at JJB - I'll see what he thinks. Bummer! I was looking forward to getting this little guitar electrified with minimal fuss.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 PM

If anybody is following, mystery solved!

I didn't glue the two outside disks onto the soundboard with enough glue. Popped them off, covered the disks completely in gel superglue, and glued them back on. I sanded the disks lightly before re-applying them.

All strings can be heard through the amp now! Now I just have to figure out how to EQ the pickup using my Zoom A3 to get as natural a sound as possible.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM

Excellent- glad you found a solution. They can be tricky especially when JJB doesn’t provide a jig.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:03 PM

That’s interesting, thanks for letting us know what worked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification