The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-18-2019, 11:58 PM

Default Just got a Zoom H2N

I did an initial recording of my Yamaha LL-TA using the XY Mic, and I am really impressed. I know that this is old technology, and I could get the same results with the H1N.
My office isn't big enough to always have Mic booms set up, and I like that I can put this on a mini tripod on my desk and angle the Mic towards my guitar. It might not be the best Mic, but the XY stereo configuration is perfect for acoustic guitar.
Once I get the guitar track, I can import it into my DAW and sing into a condenser Mic.
It's nice that I can get a great quality recording almost anywhere.
I don't like the primitive interface. It's seven year old technology. I also don't like that every time you change batteries, the date and time gets messed up. They should have a watch battery in there.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM

I've got a Tascam DR-05 that I feel the same about but it does a good job, That said even tho I have a Zoom R-8 console which I find harder to use, I guess I'm more of a plug-in-play guy but those small screens and rotator pads do suck lol
Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

The screens are crazy small on the Zooms but I don't do any editing or eq'ing using mine. Everything is transferred to my PC for editing and eq'ing.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The screens are crazy small on the Zooms but I don't do any editing or eq'ing using mine. Everything is transferred to my PC for editing and eq'ing.
Me too... No editing on either of my recorders
Old 05-19-2019, 12:42 PM

I got a Zoom R8 recently. I've been using an H1 with a Rode SVM stereo mic, which works well I'll admit. But I want to do a little better production and wanted XLR inputs. I looked at the Tascam DR-40x, but the noise level is higher than the Zoom, so I looked at H5. Then I found an R8 with no box, but new condition for $200. I need an AC adapter for it, but rubs on batteries so no hurry. I figured it will be fun to play with. I have the H1 still, so if it's just a quick recording I want to make, I'll have that. R8 seemed like a good way to get more options but retain portability and flexibility of not being tied to a computer.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I don't like the primitive interface. It's seven year old technology. I also don't like that every time you change batteries, the date and time gets messed up. They should have a watch battery in there.
hI Bb

I'm a Zoom guy. I've had the original H2 & H4, and now H1n, H2n, H4n. I've used them for years, because they are reliable, get great results, and are flexible for the video work I'm doing. I've even used them to replace studio gear when doing on-location non-critical recordings.

The H2n will serve you well as a basic mono or stereo recorder. And it has several pickup patterns (which is an upgrade from the H1n). I think I hear better recordings from the H2n over the H1n internal mics.

I've resisted the Zoom H5 or H6, and am seriously considering a Zoom F series field recorder.

Zoom has the F1, F4 and F8 field recorders…and soon will add the F6 which will have a mode of recording 'RAW' audio similar to shooting RAW digital format. The Zoom F series are stand alone mixer/recorders with analog style knobs and a very small form factor (and very high quality), and a ton of pro interface options.

Zoom are doing some serious innovating with non-commercial recordists in mind. I love that they keep pushing the envelope to make products better.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD