The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM

I still think Amelia Clark is adorable.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, interesting stuff. Incredible episode, but I also left feeling odd about some of the developments.
  • The Daenerys thing didn't bother me. She's been headed in the direction of madness for a long time. Shocking but in line with the character arc. If a bit rushed.
  • Really unsatisfying to see Cersei's demise not come at the hands of one of the main characters. And giving her what she wanted in terms of dying with Jamie? I wanted to see more of a comeuppance.
  • How are they going to resolve this? Daenerys' power is now unchecked. She's gotta die for what she's done, or the whole "wheel" theme is shot. How can she be killed when Drogon is so utterly unstoppable?
  • Why was Drogon so easily able to avoid all the anti-aircraft batteries this time? Why was his fire so massively more destructive than it was before? He was crushing stone and castles with quick passes. They seem to have upped the ante on his powers almost exponentially. Odd.
  • The Jamie fight with whats-his-face from the Iron Islands was just odd. I'm not emotionally invested in any conflict between those two. They've been building the Jamie character arc for years, with him going from hateful scumbag to somewhat redeemed good man. To have it wrap up this way just seems odd. There was no long-held conflict between those two. Him killing Cersei? That I could see. Her killing him? More likely. This? Odd.
  • Cool to see the Hound and the Mountain fight it out, but maybe that was a bit much. Cool to see the final goodbye between him and Arya. Could have been a tiny bit more emotional and connected for my tastes.

I love the show, and enjoyed the episode all the same. Daenerys has got to go. Long live Aegon Targaryen.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* I just am luvin' this thread and reading all the cool thoughts! I agree with some of the hasty writing conclusions mentioned. But I thought Sandor going out in a blaze was ironically well done while giving him a moment just beforehand with the one person he came to really care for; Arya Stark... beneath that Hound was some heart, underneath that leather was a thankful young girl.

** Jamie and Cersie are gone, bringing them back from the rubble would not be good imo… they were fortunate to go out together as they had wanted.

*** Maybe Tyrion has a hand in Dany's demise as he was willing to give his life for the cause of mercy towards of the innocent families of King's Landing as he explained to Jamie when he freed him... which btw was a great moment of love between brothers. So because Dany went merciless and against her promise, maybe Tyrion in someway kills her.

eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Yes, I was moved by that moment between Arya and the Hound, especially when she called him by name. It did seem like she too easily changed her plans for Cersei considering that just a moment before she was all, "Hi, I'm Arya Stark and I'm here to kill Queen Cersei." But who knows? Maybe the devastation she'd recently been through and the world falling down around her in the moment was making her doubt the value of vengeance, and then Sandor's words brought the clarity.

I agree that Jamie and Cersei should stay down. I'm sad about Jamie and wish he could have felt he'd redeemed himself, but as he said, nothing mattered but the two of them.

I'm wondering if Varys was poisoning Dany and if Tyrion was in on it. (No, I changed my mind; Tyrion wouldn't have told her about Varys if he was in on poisoning her.) Could slow poisoning explain her actions? Was her brain clouded? I could see Arya taking out Dany to save Jon from having to do it. That moment between Tyrion and Varys just before his incineration, was especially poignant.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Amazing how much you can get invested in make-believe characters!
Yeah after going down from the just watched the episode high, I started to see a few things that just didn’t sit well. Cersei and Jamie are dead, it would be absolutely silly for them to somehow crawl out of that rubble. They both died an undeserving death. Jamie, as much as he redeemed himself over the past few seasons, pretty much went back to season one Jamie when he decided to leave Brienne for Cersei. Having them both die in the comfort of each other was not satisfying at all.

Another thing that wasn’t satisfying was how the hype of the Golden Company went towards nothing by them dying in an instant. They could’ve shown them fighting as Daenerys brought fire from above destroying the scorpions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yeah, interesting stuff. Incredible episode, but I also left feeling odd about some of the developments.
  • The Daenerys thing didn't bother me. She's been headed in the direction of madness for a long time. Shocking but in line with the character arc. If a bit rushed.
  • Really unsatisfying to see Cersei's demise not come at the hands of one of the main characters. And giving her what she wanted in terms of dying with Jamie? I wanted to see more of a comeuppance.
  • How are they going to resolve this? Daenerys' power is now unchecked. She's gotta die for what she's done, or the whole "wheel" theme is shot. How can she be killed when Drogon is so utterly unstoppable?
  • Why was Drogon so easily able to avoid all the anti-aircraft batteries this time? Why was his fire so massively more destructive than it was before? He was crushing stone and castles with quick passes. They seem to have upped the ante on his powers almost exponentially. Odd.
  • The Jamie fight with whats-his-face from the Iron Islands was just odd. I'm not emotionally invested in any conflict between those two. They've been building the Jamie character arc for years, with him going from hateful scumbag to somewhat redeemed good man. To have it wrap up this way just seems odd. There was no long-held conflict between those two. Him killing Cersei? That I could see. Her killing him? More likely. This? Odd.
  • Cool to see the Hound and the Mountain fight it out, but maybe that was a bit much. Cool to see the final goodbye between him and Arya. Could have been a tiny bit more emotional and connected for my tastes.

I love the show, and enjoyed the episode all the same. Daenerys has got to go. Long live Aegon Targaryen.
The previous episode showed two very vulnerable dragons against those scorpions. The next episode, those scorpions were nothing. Very odd. I agree about Drogon’s newfound power, I guess his power is a reflection of Daenerys’ rage. The more mad she goes, the more powerful Drogon gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
So, Khaleese went mad, and Ayra is going to hunt her down and kill her when John can't bring himself to do it? Cerssi and Jamie aren't dead yet. That would be too easy.

I don’t think they will bring back those two. It seemed very final how the whole thing caved on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I have mixed feelings about the episode. If one watched this episode without context of the 8 seasons, it was very well done and interesting. However, in context, things were not that well executed.

1) After killing a dragon pretty easily with the crossbows and with Dany running for cover and retreating in the last episode, they get only one shot at her in this episode?

2) Arya's entire life the last few seasons was about revenge and the number 1 person on her mind was Cersei. She's finally about to kill Cersei and the Hound convinces her not to do it in a matter of a couple of minutes?

3) Where did Arya's agility and ninja like abilities go when she was trying to escape?

4) We all knew Dany could go mad, but can we have a little more context into her break down? Yeah, we got the gist, but to have her go from face to heel in a quarter of a episode was way too rushed.

5) After all the build up between the confrontation between Dany and Cersei, you would have thought Cersei would go out in a much different way... even Arya getting her revenge would have been better.

Yeah, the episode was well done, but it seemed the writing wasn't done pretty hastily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I’m all up on the spoilers so I’m genuinely curious how they’re going to wrap this all up. I won’t lie: it all seems so rushed.

Yes, there’s so much to wrap up, that the whole season seems rushed. For example, the white walkers seemed to be the main threat to Westeros. We were introduced to them on the pilot, and they were reduced to basically a nuisance that left a lot of things about the Night King unresolved.

As for context on Dany, it was always there season after season. She showed kindness, but she also showed ruthlessness. Having her go mad was as predictable as it could ever get, which now I find disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I wonder if the many parents who have named their daughters Khaleesi are questioning that decision?

Two more thoughts:

I had neighbors once who had wind chimes. Can't really blame Khaleesi for torching the city after hearing that bell ring.

The hound is the better looking and more charming brother. Never thought I’d say that.

And we have the winning comment of this thread.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Tyrion was wise once. Was.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, O'l Andy in the UK here, Epi 5 credits rolling ! (we see it on Monday evenings)

So Daenerys has thrown (throne?) a wobbly and become a bitter baddy, and started with flame grilling Lord Varys.

Tyrion risking his neck by trying to save "the people" ?

Arya, has her avowed intent changed at the last minute?

The ugly sisters fly off together.

Are some of our characters playing .... out of character?
Yes, yes they are and Rotten Tomatoes has been keeping score. This is not what I would call going out on a high note.

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/s...45968086056960
Old 05-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

What I want to know is where these dragons store so much "fire juice"? I'm estimating that Drogon uncorked about a million pounds of "napalm" without stopping to refuel. You'd think it would be difficult to fly so swiftly and accurately with that million pounds of payload in the beginning of the attack.

What makes this even more perplexing is that everything else in this series has been completely believable.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
As for context on Dany, it was always there season after season. She showed kindness, but she also showed ruthlessness. Having her go mad was as predictable as it could ever get, which now I find disappointing.

And we have the winning comment of this thread.
Yes, Dany showed ruthlessness, but murdering woman and children is not ruthless, it's so far outside her character arc, it's a little ridiculous. The entirety of the series she was trying to distance herself from her family's reputation and what she did was 1000 x's worse than what her father did. And, it came out no where, without any real context or build up.

I was talking to some other friends about it and it actually is starting to upset us. We invested a lot of time into this once amazing show and the way it is ending is ruining the other seasons.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
What I want to know is where these dragons store so much "fire juice"? I'm estimating that Drogon uncorked about a million pounds of "napalm" without stopping to refuel. You'd think it would be difficult to fly so swiftly and accurately with that million pounds of payload in the beginning of the attack.

What makes this even more perplexing is that everything else in this series has been completely believable.
I was thinking the same thing. Seemed to be a nearly infinite reserve.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post

Yeah because ice zombies, people being raised from the dead, and a sect of assassins who can change their voice and body stature by wearing the faces they flag off their victims is totally believable.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yes, Dany showed ruthlessness, but murdering woman and children is not ruthless, it's so far outside her character arc, it's a little ridiculous. The entirety of the series she was trying to distance herself from her family's reputation and what she did was 1000 x's worse than what her father did. And, it came out no where, without any real context or build up.

I was talking to some other friends about it and it actually is starting to upset us. We invested a lot of time into this once amazing show and the way it is ending is ruining the other seasons.

Her going full on mad queen has been one of the oldest predictions. Yeah I understand that killing women and children is a bit outside her character, but not completely off. People think it was a fast transition, but it has been building ever since Jon told her about who he really is. Everyone who loved her is dead, the person she loves can’t reciprocate romantically. Tyrion keeps failing her over and over and she suspects him of treason. Her going full mad queen is as predictable as it would’ve gotten.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Her going full on mad queen has been one of the oldest predictions. Yeah I understand that killing women and children is a bit outside her character, but not completely off. People think it was a fast transition, but it has been building ever since Jon told her about who he really is. Everyone who loved her is dead, the person she loves can’t reciprocate romantically. Tyrion keeps failing her over and over and she suspects him of treason. Her going full mad queen is as predictable as it would’ve gotten.
Jon turning down her advances was the last straw. He should’ve grown a pair and taken one for the team. Varys, Theon or Greyworm would’ve.

King’s landing and the realm has Jon to blame. He is not fit to be king. The only Stark man enough to be king is...Tony.

Last edited by Sage97; 05-14-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, but it's only been building for 2 episodes which destroys the last 7 seasons completely. I'm not the only one who thinks this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ga...08/e05/reviews
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 AM

Wow...surprisingly large number of disappointed viewers at this point. Don’t watch Sunday. More GoT for the rest of us!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Wow, ten pages! What am I missing by not watching?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Totally agree. I have to admit to feeling a little uncomfortable watching all those women and children dying, but that was the point - she's lost it. And it's not out of character: remember her reaction to her brother's "crowning", which has to rank up there with one of the most disturbing deaths in the series, or indeed television to date.

I do feel Arya's story went a little off track and I would still love to have seen her finish off Cersei or The Mountain. The scene mirroring The Hound's and her ordeals was amazing though - fantastic editing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic