The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Acrylic vs Natural Nails - Demo

I lost a nail this morning - first time that has happened to me in years. It came off nice and clean, so I thought it was a great opportunity to compare and see what the nails actually do for me. I think it's more noticeable in person than on a recording, but for what it's worth, here's a quick demo:

Old 05-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Acrylic smoother and louder. Probably somewhere between natural nail and flatpick. That said my natural nails give a sound that varies between using the index versus the middle versus the ring finger, and varies with nail length, shape, and level of polishing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Acrylic smoother and louder. Probably somewhere between natural nail and flatpick. That said my natural nails give a sound that varies between using the index versus the middle versus the ring finger, and varies with nail length, shape, and level of polishing.
yep, even with acrylics, each finger tends to sound a bit different due to different attack angles, finger strength, whatever.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Doug! Long time, eh?

The difference is night and day, even through my iPhone speaker. There’s way more fundamental tone/fatness with the acrylic.

Be well,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice demo! Your experience and mine are exactly parallel, though I use acrylic on my thumb and go without a thumb pick. I also find that the acrylic frees me to dig in. Without it I know that one night of hard playing will do-in my nails either through wear or breakage. With the acrylic I just don't have to think of playing wearing or breaking a nail so I bear down as the situation calls for.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Nice demo! Your experience and mine are exactly parallel, though I use acrylic on my thumb and go without a thumb pick. I also find that the acrylic frees me to dig in. Without it I know that one night of hard playing will do-in my nails either through wear or breakage. With the acrylic I just don't have to think of playing wearing or breaking a nail so I bear down as the situation calls for.

Bob
I do my thumb with acrylic, too, and I sometimes use that. Somehow, I've never been as happy with the tone of my thumb nail as with the pick, probably just needs some focus on the shape and hand position. But at this point I've used a thumbpick for so long, it's hard to give it up. Still, I keep the thumb in acrylic as a backup, in case I don't have a thumbpick handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write