The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Your Favorite Maton Model?

Well, not a lot of shops would take on a new line during a pandemic, but our recent success with McPherson, and the very agreeable terms from manufacturers in these uncertain times, has got us undertaking new adventures.

So you're looking at the world's newest Maton dealer, and we'd like to hear from you: what your favorite models are, which ones intrigue you the most, and the stuff that you haven't been able to find at other shops. We're GREAT friends with the crew at Artisan Guitars, who actually personally recommended us to Maton for a new dealership... so we will probably stock some of the same things, but also try to complement their selection with our own offerings.

Excited to hear your thoughts, AGF!!!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 AM

I've always wanted to try an ebg808 nashville, but the hopes of finding one in Atlanta are pretty slim.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM

plugged in, matons are matchless in tone, i'm pretty certain that the ap5 pro is simply the best out there... my personal favorite is emmanuel's personal 808, which was introduced back in 2016. it is by far --and i mean far--, the best instrument i have ever played..
Old 04-08-2020, 03:30 PM

Favorite Maton?
This one ....

I asked them if they've ever considered doing a remake of this HG100 'Hillbilly' jumbo .... they replied 'no'.

p.s. It was Scotty Moore's guitar and the movie was Jailhouse Rock.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 04-08-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Well, not a lot of shops would take on a new line during a pandemic, but our recent success with McPherson, and the very agreeable terms from manufacturers in these uncertain times, has got us undertaking new adventures.

So you're looking at the world's newest Maton dealer, and we'd like to hear from you: what your favorite models are, which ones intrigue you the most, and the stuff that you haven't been able to find at other shops. We're GREAT friends with the crew at Artisan Guitars, who actually personally recommended us to Maton for a new dealership... so we will probably stock some of the same things, but also try to complement their selection with our own offerings.

Excited to hear your thoughts, AGF!!!
Having owned several, I will make this personal opinion as my advice.

A) Their pickups are insane and unbelievable....every guitar they make sounds good plugged in from the many, many I have played and the 8-9 I've owned.
B) The guitars that sound the best plugged in, I would say sound the worst unplugged - that are the all blackwood models. They look exceptional and sound amazing plugged in...blah unplugged.
C) Minis are crazy cool - always have some of those around. I think the more expensive ones are just more expensive. The entry point one sounds as ridiculously good as the ones that cost twice as much...I;d want to have one around for someone who can't stomach $2k for a mini but still want all the benefits.
D) The Performer is the hidden gem. i HOPE they still make it, but it seems not to be as prevalent as the other things in the lineup. The last new ones I saw still sports the standard AP5, which is still amazing, so I don't see it as any real loss not having the added mic of the AP5 Pro, but that's just me. THe big win of the performer model is the shallower body, so it's more comfortable for....you guessed it, performers. It's the one that got away. I also think that Bunya tops are the best tops and that Bunya over QLD Maple is the best overall combo, so that Performer wins for that reason, too.

Generally, I think what they lack for in unplugged sound, they more than make up for when plugged in. Some models sound incredible plugged in, but in your crazy nice shop with the likes of some of the best unplugged guitars in the world, they'll feel underwhelming, so as long as you have a decent variety on hand and can show off the plugged in sound, you've got a real winner.

Artisan has done well for a long time with similar lines to AMW and I know it;s largely to working musicians who want a super high quality guitar to plug in and that is what Maton may do better than almost anyone.

Congrats and I hope you crush it with them.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:15 PM

I just had a thread on my fave - Maton Messiah 808, a top of the line 00 deep body in rosewood/sitka:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=1#post6342695

Asking the fave Maton is a bit like when people ask the fave Martin - there are lots of different models in different woods from cheapies to full custom shop. Most are satin finished blackwood/sitka.

https://maton.com.au/product/maton-acoustic-guitars

I like my 3 808s - akin to the size of a Gibson LG2 but with a fab pickup system ready to roll! I am a 100% fingerpicker bare fingers! My black custom finish 808 is the blues fingerpicker, mainly. The SRS808 is cedar over blackwood - lives in Open G tuning for slide and the Messiah 808 is a lush overtone drenched small body more suited to DADGAD type of stuff...usually!

And....I have the Hiscox Maton branded case for each 808!:

I know zero to zip about all the dreads and jumbos they make, not my thing - I played a friend's blackwood dread for a few minutes when he brought it over new.

But I like this saying for the pickup - "Don't go on after the Maton player!"

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 04-08-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Nashville cutaway. Amazing!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Messiah dread without a doubt.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 PM

If I veered off the 808 small body path, I think I would go the Maton jumbo! (Messiah rosewood).

Here is John Butler playing his custom jumbo acoustic only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ukGTIYcJ4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RObn9QWYo-0

And John Butler is famous for his fossilised Maton dread 12 string (with one of the G strings removed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo

BluesKing777.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Really appreciate the input everybody!!! I knew I could count on you!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:00 PM

808 Nashville!!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Really appreciate the input everybody!!! I knew I could count on you!
I play an SRS808C which is my primary acoustic guitar and it's just sensational. for a small body guitar it has one hell of a big voice. western red cedar top gives it beautiful warmth. plays and sounds like a dream. I will never ever part ways with it. I'm in the market for a 12 string acoustic at the moment too and the Maton SRS70-12 is a hot contender for me atm i've played a couple of them my local store had and they sound incredible
Old 04-09-2020, 05:39 PM

If and when the virus gives up and I still have any money, I am ordering a full Maton Custom Shop “Classic” (C.S.Classic in rosewood/sitka) in full gloss black with abalone inlay!

BluesKing777.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:49 PM
Guest 829

I have the 808 Artist and the SRS 808. I’ve got a Heritage model on order. I’ve also had an SRS70C and an EM325C.

The 808s are truly fantastic and after spending countless thousands on other brands of guitar and pickup combinations I caved in and bought Maton. The AP5Pro is just unbelievable and live you get a great sound quickly.

To be honest I don’t particularly rate them acoustically and to that end I have a Bourgeois, but because I enjoy playing amplified and live the Maton is my absolute number one choice.

The Performer model is excellent.

My Bourgeois has an LR Baggs Dual Source but to my ears doesn’t come anywhere near any Maton when it’s plugged in.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 AM

I rotate around my guitars and have been playing my 2007 Gibson L-00 Blues King for the last few days. It is really coming into its own at the moment, 13 years old. Really nice acoustically, did a recording yesterday.....but why did it come with that pickup? Baggs Element. Run it to my Tonedexter to get a better sound.

There is a lot of noise around my area with everyone at home - the guitarists are playing and changing strings but the non guitar people are drilling, grinding, mowing, hoeing, hacking,crackng, crashing..bashing. So earlier I admitted defeat and grabbed first an M80 Baggs to plug the BK in. Fair but best setup I can do. I then grabbed my Sunrise, the buffer box and my Fishman Pro EQ, a really nice sound but not so ‘acoustic’. I played for quite a while, then packed it all up and grabbed the black Maton 808 to compare.....

No contest! Plugged direct - just sensational. Acoustically the black 808 is very “L-00” similar size, shape, neck. I love it acoustically too.

So on a sliding scale of acoustic versus plugged - L-00 great acoustic, plugged..hmmm.

Black Maton 808. - great acoustic, plugged sensational!

While there is no playing out at the moment, I do like to plug to my vocal gadget - the guitar triggers harmonies...

BluesKing77.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion