The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Handplacement during fingerpicking

So I just noticed something: I was trying to get back into some The Tallest Man On Earth songs - which I had learned how to play in 2012 or so - and noticed that my picking hand was sort of hovering above the soundhole. I never paid any real attention to this, but once I saw this, I thought back to a Molly Tuttle video I saw a couple of months ago in which she explicitly put her picking hand on top of the bridge (pins). I tried this today and it felt a bit unfamiliar, yet it also prevented me from hitting the string with my thumbnail even though I didn't want to (I'm sure you know what I mean).

Which brings me to my question: Where do you put your hand? Is there a right way to do it? Is there a wrong way to do it? I taught myself how to play guitar, so I never really had anybody look at my hand placement or whatever...
Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 AM

I think it’s what comfortable for you. I thought I was doing it wrong when I saw people planting their pinky, which I don’t do. After researching the issue I found out that anyway is fine as long as it’s comfortable.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 AM

^ Agree, comfort is essential, plus the tone changes depending on where you are picking the strings, so I move my hand around for that, and for whether I'm wearing a thumb pick (à la Burt Jansch), whether I'm using my thumb nail (à la Nick Drake), or whether I'm using thumb flesh (à la John Hurt) or not.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:20 AM

I have had a teacher who taught me to plant my pinkie, a teacher who taught me to hover over the strings with no plant, and a teacher who taught me to plant the flat side of my hand on the bridge.

All of these teachers were fantastic players who were unable, due to my ineptitude and failure to practice, to make me a fantastic player.

Which is a long way to say there a multiple techniques that can yield good results. Pick one and work hard at it.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillendreher View Post
So I just noticed something: I was trying to get back into some The Tallest Man On Earth songs - which I had learned how to play in 2012 or so - and noticed that my picking hand was sort of hovering above the soundhole. I never paid any real attention to this, but once I saw this, I thought back to a Molly Tuttle video I saw a couple of months ago in which she explicitly put her picking hand on top of the bridge (pins). I tried this today and it felt a bit unfamiliar, yet it also prevented me from hitting the string with my thumbnail even though I didn't want to (I'm sure you know what I mean).

Which brings me to my question: Where do you put your hand? Is there a right way to do it? Is there a wrong way to do it? I taught myself how to play guitar, so I never really had anybody look at my hand placement or whatever...
I do it like you - hand "hovering" over the sound hole. It doesn't seem to slow me down lol. I think for true "Travis" style picking, however, our hovering technique wouldn't work - but if ya like good ol' alternating bass fingerpicking, you're good.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I do it like you - hand "hovering" over the sound hole. It doesn't seem to slow me down lol. I think for true "Travis" style picking, however, our hovering technique wouldn't work - but if ya like good ol' alternating bass fingerpicking, you're good.
I do Travis style picking hovering with no problem. Took me a few days to get used it.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I do Travis style picking hovering with no problem. Took me a few days to get used it.
That's encouraging - I'd love to learn Travis style, maybe I just need to invest the time.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Travis picking and hover over the sound hole here. Sometimes I find my picking hand creeping forward toward the nut and the resulting hand angle causes an annoying scraping sound when my index finger plucks the G.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:58 PM

Wish I could find that video I saw here some time ago showing Andres Segovia moving his right hand from the bridge to the fingerboard demonstrating very different tone from the strings.

It is possible to get a very warm or very strident tone depending on position, and it makes sense to vary it considerably to obtain the desired effect for finger style playing.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:14 PM

I play everywhere (between sound hole/bridge) depending on the tone I want. My right hand positioning (hover, palm/wrist plant, wrist angle, etc.) also depends on what I'm playing. I don't play a Blues piece the same way I play Lullaby.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM

As DukeX said, I play anywhere from the bridge to the fretboard depending on the sound I want. I don’t plant any fingers but do use them and the edge of my palm to mute strings as needed.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 04-05-2020, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

There is no right/wrong way!

Where you pluck the string - between the bridge and neck - has a great effect on tone. Plucking nearer the bridge brings out a greater range of overtones (brightness); plucking nearer the neck gives a much more fundamental tone.

Learning to draw out a wide palette of tone like this is hugely satisfying! Experiment and see what you find pleasing.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I float my hand. My wrist goes on the bridge only if I plan on palm muting.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-05-2020, 02:32 PM

If you are fingerpicking country blues style you want to stay close to the saddle so that you can do some palm muting - you basically plant your hand right on top of the saddle on the lower few strings so as not to kill the strings but to mute them for the "thump" sound of the bass. If you just want to Travis pick or some other style that doesn't require the muting of the bass strings so much, do it wherever you feel comfortable. Keep in mind that if you are closer to the neck you are going to get more fundamental in the note and a thicker sound. If you go back closer to the saddle you will get more overtones and a brighter thinner sound. Everywhere else is somewhere in between. Unless I am playing some country blues, I tend to stay right around the soundhole area or just over it.

Good luck!
Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Travis picker here. I float my hand no planting of any part of it, and I pick with my thumb index middle and ring fingers. I pick close to the Saddle for that bass thumpin' palm mutin' goodness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write