The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 AM

Default Fishman INK3 preamp sonicore UST issue

Hi guys just after some troubleshooting suggestions -

My Faith Saturn Eclipse has a INK3 preamp with sonicore UST. I only got it a month ago. The output on it was fine however the high E string was a tad quieter than the others.

I looked under the saddle and the UST was full threaded through into the saddle. I so push it through so it goes to the end of the saddle and voila string balance sorted.

Later that night I go to do a gig (pre corona lockdown!!) and plug in to my preamp - nothing. Straight to mixer nothing!

I swapped the battery twice and changed cables, no sound. I get home and I have to run the guitar with the INK3 at full volume, Baggs Session at full gain and then my Loudbox Mini input at past halfway gain to get a sound.

The output before was very healthy about three times that of my rare earth blend, now the rare earth blend is giving out a signal about 4-5 times the strength and it is not a hot active pickup.

Any suggestions as to what I have done and what is causing the super low output?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 04-01-2020, 06:00 AM

Seems the likely culprit is the Sonitone UST. Coax USTs are generally pretty hard to kill but they can short out at the bend into the saddle slot, which you disturbed by pulling it further in.

It might be soldered into place and not an easy DIY replacement. Gray market Sonitone USTs are plentiful on eBay at low prices and maybe you can replace it yourself or have a tech replace the UST. A splice in the cable to the UST might be the easiest way to go.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-01-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Seems the likely culprit is the Sonitone UST. Coax USTs are generally pretty hard to kill but they can short out at the bend into the saddle slot, which you disturbed by pulling it further in.

It might be soldered into place and not an easy DIY replacement. Gray market Sonitone USTs are plentiful on eBay at low prices and maybe you can replace it yourself or have a tech replace the UST. A splice in the cable to the UST might be the easiest way to go.
Sounds like it may be an excuse to get rid of the UST and put a new/better pickup in. If I can find away around the integrated input jack which I’ll have to re-use!

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 04-02-2020, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Do you mean the battery box/output jack combo? I replaced the Sonotone PU in my Martin Road Series with a JJB and the new JJB output jack went right into the hole in the battery box once I got all the Sonotone out. It actually made it easier since I could tighten the OP jack while the battery box was still loose.

It's a huge improvement in plugged in sound. And even a smaller improvement when it's not plugged in.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Do you mean the battery box/output jack combo? I replaced the Sonotone PU in my Martin Road Series with a JJB and the new JJB output jack went right into the hole in the battery box once I got all the Sonotone out. It actually made it easier since I could tighten the OP jack while the battery box was still loose.

It's a huge improvement in plugged in sound. And even a smaller improvement when it's not plugged in.
It’s a different set up to the sonitone battery and jack box. It’s just going to mean I need to unsolder the original wiring the solder in the new after speaking with Fishman about it.
I’ve got a rare earth blend coming. I’ve got one in another guitar and I find it works really well and is discreet for a soundhole PU.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification