The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Delayed Overdub on Loop. Why?

So I have this set up: Guitar > TC Helicon Play Acoustic (PA)> PA Headphone out to JamMan Stereo Looper AUX IN. JamMan Headphone out to PA AUX IN.

The idea is/was to Record and PlayBack loops via the Play Acoustic and onto QSC CP8s. Things is, I can record and playback a single loop just fine. The "problem" is if I overdub that loop and play it back, there is a delay of a few 100 milliseconds making the loop unusable. (The looper is fine on its own i.e. no overdub delay, no other issues).

Question is: Where is the delay coming from in this set up?

Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 AM

Hi Daniel

Given the looper overdubs fine by itself then the TC must be introducing latency into the signal and sending it late to the looper. I am not familiar with this unit but a quick Google gave me this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178805

HTH
Jon

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Ahhh never mind, folks. I figured it out. DUH!

The delay is because the looper is not only "feeding" the original loop thru the system but also recording it at the same time (as well as the overdub). It's literally forever looping itself silly. Hence the mess.

One loop is fine only because the looper is not actually playing anything back yet. It is only recording the signal coming in.

Makes sense now and, note to self, don't overdub with this setup!.

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification