The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
So would you state this is usual business or would you think "uh, the guitar player should get is stuff right !" ?
No point in judging, I just do my best with what I'm given.

Couch Standards
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When I mix FOH and cut lows on an acoustic guitar, it's usually to keep it from either feeding back or simply making a mess of the band's low end. Please bear in mind that, as a general rule, mixers are mixing to make the whole thing sound good in the room; it's not about individual this or that. If your guitar needs to be thinner than you'd like for the band as a whole to sound good, then you take one for the team.

On the other hand, if there's a separate monitor system and someone to run it, then you can absolutely address how your instrument sounds to you onstage. But that's high cotton, and pretty rare in small to medium-size venues.
Makes total sense. I just find that sometimes it's the first step that's taken when I start doing a sound check and I am not always sure if it's necessary. I can understand if there's a drummer but my band is purely acousitc. We do have a bass player but I often find too much low end is cut.

With that said, it's the reason why I am considering a personal monitor or acoustic amp on stage. That way I can get the tone I want as it's more of a feel thing. If it sounds great out front then that's the most important thing, I just want my guitar on stage to sound nice and warm/big.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 PM

Same with me: A personal monitor makes it all much more comfortable. I use a QSC K8.2 and love it for its flat response. On many gigs we do our sound from up stage, but when working with a sound tech I always want to know which EQ settings he chose for our instruments and if any special treatments were necessary. It's always great to hear that he leaves it flat on my channel, because that proofs that it is possible to work on a decent sound at home. Sure it is different when playing acoustic guitar in a loud electric band, what I did until some years back. In an acoustic duo / trio / quartet it should be possible to reproduce a close to realistic acoustic sound.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification