The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 PM

X..all day long
Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM
AGF Administrator

X brace here as well. The last version of X-bracing they used on the 300 series was a neutered version of the Advanced Performance bracing (developed for the re-voiced 800 series) called Performance Bracing (an upgrade from Standard II but not quite as good as Advanced Performance), and if you prefer bass response over the more neutral tonal consistency of V-Class, that would be the way to go.

I own a V-Class 317e (Grand Pacific) that has it all - bass response and tonal consistency; but I don't think V-Class works well for the other designs.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:18 PM

I don't have a 314ce, but I have a 2015 814ce X-braced model, and a 2005 X-braced 714ce that I wouldn't trade for the world. I also have and X-braced 458e 12 string that I absolutely love and bought immediately after playing it the first time.

Without hopefully starting a feud (which is why I qualified my response above), I figured this was just a marketing campaign early on, and in so doing decided I was done buying Taylors for all intents and purposes. And I love my Taylors. Truly.

If it isn't broke don't fix it in my mind. Having played V braced guitars all thorough the current line, I wouldn't pay the upcharge personally. At best V bracing does nothing sonically, and the long term viability of the design is yet to be seen in terms of durability.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 04-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
X brace here as well. The last version of X-bracing they used on the 300 series was a neutered version of the Advanced Performance bracing (developed for the re-voiced 800 series) called Performance Bracing (an upgrade from Standard II but not quite as good as Advanced Performance), and if you prefer bass response over the more neutral tonal consistency of V-Class, that would be the way to go.

I own a V-Class 317e (Grand Pacific) that has it all - bass response and tonal consistency; but I don't think V-Class works well for the other designs.
Do you know when they used the AP bracing on the 314”s? I have a 2012, wondering what type bracing that has...
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 04-08-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
...I figured this was just a marketing campaign early on, and in so doing decided I was done buying Taylors for all intents and purposes. And I love my Taylors. Truly.
I too am pretty much done buying Taylors. With this last iteration in their line, the shine has worn off their brand name. The thing is that to maintain sales and market share they had to do something new and "exciting". IMO, like many Taylor "innovations" they came up with another way to make a product cheaper, and marketed the heck out of it as an improvement, much like they have in the past.

I don't see Taylor moving backwards any time soon, though perhaps in a few years I can see them marketing "classic braced" models (like Coke Classic) as the newness of the V-class guitars will have run out of steam (except maybe GP's). And as their prices creep up, it would point me toward more boutique brands.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
Do you know when they used the AP bracing on the 314”s? I have a 2012, wondering what type bracing that has...
2012 predates AP and Performance bracing, so your model would be Standard II w/relief route.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
The only models I like the V-bracing in are the Grand Pacifics. Makes sense because it’s the model Andy originally designed the new bracing for. Though I do sometimes wonder what they’d sound like with X bracing. Guess we’ll never know...
Also the 12-fret V-braced models are in my opinion absolutely amazing. The bridge placement of the 12 fret compensates for the loss of bass and the V-bracing gets you better intonation past the 7th fret.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Of the V braced Taylors I’ve played, the 314 and 317 Grand Pacific models have been the best. The builders editions were nice, too, but at that price point they should be.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion