The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Default A quick comparison of two stereo ribbons

Hey all.

I have had the pleasure of having a loaner of a top of line Royer SF24 stereo ribbon mic. The build quality is top notch and the noise level is totally manageable even with modest gain preamps. I have done quite a bit of testing with various positions and preamps over the last week. I hesitate to post anything (since none of this is release quality work) so I have prepared just a few very short clips of a Jethro Tull song isolating 1) Vocals 2) some simple fingerpicking and 3) the two together. I do it this way because this modest result is completely consistent with every test I did.

My take (IMO - FWIW etc ... :-)... NOTE: I absolutely admit that others in a better sounding acoustical recording and mixing space may very well have been able to get a much bigger difference. But among the "semi-pro" - "hi-end hobbyist" -- "home recording fanatic types" -- I probably did pretty respectably :-)

1) The Royer is more even across the spectrum has a wonderful low noise floor. The PPA actually has a bit of a scoop I also like and when used with the Cloudlifter has a totally acceptable noise floor. Oddly it only takes a few very small EQ points (1 dB or less each) and on the vocal track I could barely tell a difference anymore.

2) On guitar I got a very similar result and with only two small EQ points was able to get the PPA very close to the Royer again

3) Even though I can afford the expensive mic (and really want to want it) for my uses the PPA is delivering some pretty darned good results that I can't ignore.

4) I am now VERY curious if upgrading the transformers in the PPA (or just going for the Cascade X-15/Lundahl version - like Doug Young did !) will even out the freq response even more.

-- In general my recording mics haven't changed in over a decade - Gefell M300 pair, Lawson L47, Gefell M990... the "bang for the buck" mics usually don't cut it in my testing so this result is pretty weird for me ... oh well ... there it is !

Files are here http://leesfiles.weebly.com/agf_files.html
-- the old thread about this is now officially dead :-)

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 04-21-2013 at 05:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD