The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Default Old Fashioned DAW versus iMac/Garageband

Hello all, and happy November,

I am returning to recording. Back in 2005 I did my recordings on a Korg D1600mkII, it is one of those all in one workstations including the CD burner. Its nothing really special, and it has a tiny tiny screen with no video out Plus files have to be saved to the Korg's USB drive and then sent as Waves to computer, etc. its a hassle.

I have an iMac and with it I use an old Line 6 Tone port (just straight thru, no GearBox, effects, etc. ). Much easier to deal with.

I have been doing A/B tests with recordings on the Korg and the IMac and i cant really hear a quality difference, but they seem to have differing sounds yet neither outweighs the other to my ear.

My ears do tend to play tricks on me so I am trying to find out if the Korg, for whatever reason I may be ignorant to, is the superior device for tracking my recordings or if the IMac is. I appreciate the input of all you experts out there. Your input has been valuable to me.

On another note, what about using a Dtar Solstice as preamp on either of these devices? I have also been doing A/B tests with it and it seems i hear little to no difference, let alone improvement. Which leads me to believe that the Korg and IMac/Line 6 preamps are up to par with the Solstice, at least for this application. LIve, the Solstice rocks.

thank you much!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD