The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
I have two guitars with a wedge configuration, an OM size and the other a jumbo size at 16 inches. Both are the most comfortable to play I own. The smaller one has a slight wedge, not really noticable. The Yamamato jumbo is like playing a 00 despite it's size. The wedge is very pronounced

Both lack nothing in tone and projection. If I were to have a custom build I would go for a wedge over a bevel.
Intuitively, it makes sense that a wedge is the better option. Although, I looked at the Burner in the classifieds by paulskim586, the spec shows a difference of only 1/8"? Could be I'm just not understanding what was posted.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Bevel will add comfort to the forearm but it won’t change the angle of the shoulder over the lower bout. A smaller body size is the only thing that’s really going to make a difference there. I own big guitars with bevels and wedge designs. Adds comfort but doesn’t do anything for the shoulder in my experience.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 11-26-2020, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Shoulder injures vary; mine is such that a minor change in guitar shape or size sometimes has a huge impact, turning what was meant to be a half hour practice session into a painful waste of time within 60 seconds.

I have guitars with a range of body sizes, and several have bevels. The bevels definitely help my injured shoulder, as well as making the guitar more comfortable for my forearm. Guitar body size helps too, as others have mentioned, but body size also impacts on the sound of the guitar.

Compromises are possible - I have one 00 with a small bevel and because it is a smaller body I bought one that has a slightly deeper body, to add to the body space and bass response. So that guitar is a compromise: smaller body, deeper body and bevel. It works great.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Shoulder injures vary; mine is such that a minor change in guitar shape or size sometimes has a huge impact, turning what was meant to be a half hour practice session into a painful waste of time within 60 seconds.

I have guitars with a range of body sizes, and several have bevels. The bevels definitely help my injured shoulder, as well as making the guitar more comfortable for my forearm. Guitar body size helps too, as others have mentioned, but body size also impacts on the sound of the guitar.

Compromises are possible - I have one 00 with a small bevel and because it is a smaller body I bought one that has a slightly deeper body, to add to the body space and bass response. So that guitar is a compromise: smaller body, deeper body and bevel. It works great.
That's exactly the combination that I went for with my main 00 player, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:54 PM

I like them on deep and/or big acoustics like my deep concert, jumbo baritone, and DNs. I have one on my Razo OM and I don't find the bevel adds as much comfort/value as it does on the bigger guitars.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
That's exactly the combination that I went for with my main 00 player, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Rudy, glad it works for you too
Old 11-27-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Rudy, glad it works for you too
Are these (small body with bevel) custom or more mainstream builders? I know Taylor and Lowden make std guitars with bevels, but I'm not finding others. My budget is $3500. Maybe there is some word or phrase that builders use as code or marketing lingo that means the same as bevel or maybe there are specific models that come std with that feature so no one bothers to note that?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Sometimes you may see “armrest” or “radius” mentioned, but it is usually called a bevel. They are becoming more common on less expensive imports (Teton for example) but add a notable upcharge on most factory builds and custom guitars. I’m not shopping in that $3500 range any longer so cannot help with specific examples, other than Taylor DLX or Builder’s Editions.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat01 View Post
Per my initial thread in this forum, I'm looking at getting a new (to me) guitar. I haven't been in the market for a long, long, time and while much hasn't changed, one new item is the bevel. Since I have shoulder challenges, the idea intrigues me. I'm curious to get people's thoughts on them. Do they have a meaningful impact on comfort?
My Taylor 814ce has a bevel, and it increases comfort - but only on the portion of my arm that sits there. I agree with many other people that have responded by saying the body size of the guitar you choose is more critical.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Timely topic. Did this to relieve a sensitized skin issue and not shoulder. rib and forearm bevels

A body I bent the top on.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 AM

Fred, in addition to being very cool that looks remarkably like the Woodsong tapered-body guitar that I mentioned in my first post back on page 1 of this thread.
My current favorite guitar is something similar but done in carbon fiber - an Emerald X20. https://emeraldguitars.com/guitars/emerald-x20-new/
Old 11-27-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no doubt that the classical position makes a huge difference. However, as much as I try, it feels like trying to write with my left hand. Yeah, I know, with patience, over time it will seem natural. Old dog/no new tricks
I wanted to make this switch and I was also having a lot of trouble with it. I got lucky - I also wanted a smaller, short scale nylon string guitar and one came up over in the classifieds. The real "lucky" part is that it came with a Sageworks system.

So if you are willing to reconsider this playing position/posture, I'd highly recommend doing so with a NeckUp or Sageworks, or similar, support system. It made all the difference for my ability to play in this position, and has helped with my shoulders (which are not too bad; just that "beginning of the next phase....").

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 11-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Fred, in addition to being very cool that looks remarkably like the Woodsong tapered-body guitar that I mentioned in my first post back on page 1 of this thread.
My current favorite guitar is something similar but done in carbon fiber - an Emerald X20. https://emeraldguitars.com/guitars/emerald-x20-new/
I skipped over the link earlier catching up in the thread. I tried to minimize how much the bevel moved into the vibrating area. I have made the same size guitar with the curved top and one with the regular added bevel. I can see using both methods. I always thought the Emerald's were interesting and if I had a cheap source of CF I would try something like them.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
I wanted to make this switch and I was also having a lot of trouble with it. I got lucky - I also wanted a smaller, short scale nylon string guitar and one came up over in the classifieds. The real "lucky" part is that it came with a Sageworks system.

So if you are willing to reconsider this playing position/posture, I'd highly recommend doing so with a NeckUp or Sageworks, or similar, support system. It made all the difference for my ability to play in this position, and has helped with my shoulders (which are not too bad; just that "beginning of the next phase....").

J
Sageworks looks interesting...thanks
Old 11-28-2020, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are these (small body with bevel) custom or more mainstream builders? I know Taylor and Lowden make std guitars with bevels, but I'm not finding others. My budget is $3500. Maybe there is some word or phrase that builders use as code or marketing lingo that means the same as bevel or maybe there are specific models that come std with that feature so no one bothers to note that?
Custom build in my case. If you do go for a smaller body, say a 00, think about the depth of the guitar. A bit of additional depth (1/4 inch on my guitar) may help to give a small bodied guitar the sound you associate with a larger bodied instrument. Lower bout width and body depth both impact on the shoulder but you may find a sweet spot for your needs with a particular guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion