The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2023, 02:33 PM

Default Click track or not?

Hi all,
I've been recording lately with a click track, both vocals and guitar at the same time. I never liked click tracks but I feel it does help regulate my timing. Do you all think it's fairly essential to have one since I don't have a drummer to rely on? I would gladly let go of it for the sake of ease though. Sometimes it grates on my nerves and reminds me of a time bomb. Does anyone know of a metronome that sounds more organic, like a bongo drum?

Here is a recent example, which I know speeds up despite the click track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmZaTJfiT4

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
HV

This is my set-up:
PreSonus AudioBox 96 Studio 25th Anniversary Edition with Studio One Artist and Ableton Live Lite DAW Recording Software
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 11-30-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:10 PM

It's up to you. Try recording the same thing again without a click and see what you like about each recording.

If it's just you then rubato and varying tempo can easily be part of your musical expression. The more musicians are involved the harder that gets. So why not take advantage of the freedom playing alone affords?

I was asked to listen to this last week and found myself wondering why, if there isn't a drummer, they play like there is one. Liberate yourself from the tyranny of the beat when you have the chance, why not?

Archie S̲h̲e̲p̲p & Niels-H̲e̲nning ̲Ø̲rst̲e̲d̲ Pede̲r̲s̲en – Loo̲k̲i̲ng At ̲B̲i̲rd̲

Old 11-28-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Depends entirely on what you're hoping to accomplish. If it's just you and a guitar, so long as you don't stray too noticeably, you can get away without a click. If you intend on overdubbing any instrumentation later (whether it's drums, bass, a second guitar, etc.), not playing to a click means a lot more work for both the player and the mixer.

I'll toss in this caveat... if you have aspirations to create fuller mixes down the road, learning to play to a click now is a good idea.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-28-2023, 03:18 PM

I think the reason you're finding the click maddening is that you keep switching feels in your accompaniment. You're sometimes playing a completely straight feel, and other times you're swinging more like the original, making it tough to match up. You also switch to a 3 beat feel here and there, further throwing you off.

I'd be interested in hearing what it'd sound like with no click. I feel like there's some moments here where it sounds like you're trying to get back on board with the click. It's fighting you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-28-2023, 03:18 PM

If you are only recording in one pass, a click track isn't going to help much, except act as a metronome.

On the other hand, if you overdub, it can help immensely.

It sounds like your use of a click is not doing anything good for you.
Maybe you need to practice more with a metronome *before* you record?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-28-2023, 03:59 PM

I have two suggestions.

The first is to listen to the recording you posted critically and make notes about spots that bother you.

The second is to practice a lot playing to a click track and then when you think you've got it record without one.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

In that recording you lost tempo for a while at around thirty seconds in. Other than that pretty steady. Use of a click track probably not really needed in a recording like this in any case. Just some more practice. In some pieces (not this one so much) you may want to deliberately apply Rubato or Accelerando here and there and back to A tempo.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-28-2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo seen
Old 11-28-2023, 05:26 PM

Hi HV,

You can have the best of both worlds by using a metronome that has a visual indication and can have the audio turned off. It's useful to set your tempo initially and you can glance at it occasionally to see where you are tempo-wise. I'm personally not a big fan of rigid tempo, as music that naturally ebbs and flows often sounds better to me.

The only place where it becomes a necessity is where percussion is used that will be switched out for something else down the road. Most acoustic music isn't so formulaic that you need to use a click track.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
It's up to you. Try recording the same thing again without a click and see what you like about each recording.

If it's just you then rubato and varying tempo can easily be part of your musical expression. The more musicians are involved the harder that gets. So why not take advantage of the freedom playing alone affords?

I was asked to listen to this last week and found myself wondering why, if there isn't a drummer, they play like there is one. Liberate yourself from the tyranny of the beat when you have the chance, why not?

Archie S̲h̲e̲p̲p & Niels-H̲e̲nning ̲Ø̲rst̲e̲d̲ Pede̲r̲s̲en – Loo̲k̲i̲ng At ̲B̲i̲rd̲

Yes, I agree, but I can't help but think it's good training to have some sort of aid. I just tried this cover without a click track. Any thoughts? https://youtu.be/ZmqtlUu0TBI
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 11-28-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think the reason you're finding the click maddening is that you keep switching feels in your accompaniment. You're sometimes playing a completely straight feel, and other times you're swinging more like the original, making it tough to match up. You also switch to a 3 beat feel here and there, further throwing you off.

I'd be interested in hearing what it'd sound like with no click. I feel like there's some moments here where it sounds like you're trying to get back on board with the click. It's fighting you.
Yes, I can be all over the place. I have a hard time staying on the beat. I just tried this song without a click. Any thoughts? https://youtu.be/ZmqtlUu0TBI
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 11-28-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I have two suggestions.

The first is to listen to the recording you posted critically and make notes about spots that bother you.

The second is to practice a lot playing to a click track and then when you think you've got it record without one.
Thank you. What bothers me most is that I feel like the click track and I are not in sync. I realize I need to find a click track that sounds good to my ears, like a drumbeat.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 11-28-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
I just tried this cover without a click track. Any thoughts? https://youtu.be/ZmqtlUu0TBI
I think your tempo is more consistent when you're singing and then falls apart when you're not.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:41 PM

I appreciate all of your thoughts and suggestions. I'm going to find a metronome / click that has a more drumbeat sound rather than an annoying sound that drives me crazy. I tried this song tonight without any aids and would love to know your thoughts. https://youtu.be/ZmqtlUu0TBI

Thank you,
HV
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 11-28-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Yes, I can be all over the place. I have a hard time staying on the beat. I just tried this song without a click. Any thoughts? https://youtu.be/ZmqtlUu0TBI
Your time is better, but the 2 feel on a tune that's originally in 6/8 is pretty awkward.

I feel like you might be letting your fingerpicking patterns dictate the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

The click track is indeed a valid question. I have been using it when I write something new using Virtual instrumentation.
However, I find Click tracks bit frustrating.. The click track is NOT MUSICAL. Sometimes the click, clack....Clashes with some of the notes. Somewhat destroys the vibe.

So what I have been thinking about is adding a = no frills drum beat, as my click track.( I have already done this once creating a drum beat using my Damage 2 Orchestra drums) But that was a bit work to generate in perfect timing and then replicate it over and over.

There are these drum loops programs that one can buy. I just need to research which one will be the easiest to use and adjust. Later I plan to buy a programmable rock drum program. But first...just simple loops, no fills...just a steady drum beat that is easier to hear and work with. That steady drum beat will hopefully become a better click track.

Of course...it still has to be a nice sounding Drum loop/program. Otherwise it might also take away some feel when recording. Hopefully it will do just the opposite and inspire.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD