The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2023, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Newbie question: Do I need an amp?

I want to record a certain reverb/hall sound using my classical-electric guitar. I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors, a Boss reverb pedal, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and a MacBook. I can figure out how to connect these watching YouTube I suppose but why can’t I just plug and play when I don’t want to record? Do I need a separate amp or mixer or something and what would be some affordable options?
Thank you!
Old 12-23-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidharma View Post
I want to record a certain reverb/hall sound using my classical-electric guitar. I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors, a Boss reverb pedal, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and a MacBook. I can figure out how to connect these watching YouTube I suppose but why can’t I just plug and play when I don’t want to record? Do I need a separate amp or mixer or something and what would be some affordable options?
Thank you!
Try it and see if it satisfies you.

Using your setup might work fine, but it will be somewhat Rube Goldberg-ish and will be more likely to keep you in one place. A small combo amp lets you move around a lot more easily.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you!
Is the reverb sound you want coming from your Boss pedal? IOW, guitar > Boss > Focusrite > computer?

If that's what you're referring to, then you certainly can plug and play without actually recording, but you'll still need to run through the 2i2 to be able to hear anything, via the monitors. Just hit the monitoring button on the Scarlett, turn up the speakers, and you should hear your amplified guitar and effects. You don't even need to start your DAW. This assumes the HS8s are hooked up to the 2i2, and you'd still need the computer on to power the 2i2.

An amp can make it simpler and more portable, as Rudy says. Guitar > Boss > amp; no need for interface, computer or speakers.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, the reverb is coming from the pedal but truth is it’s not producing the exact sound I want. Is there an amp or other intermediary device you recommend that could solve the plug and play aspect (no computer needed) while providing more options to dial in the reverb/hall type sound I want? Thank you 🙏
Old 12-23-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, the reverb is coming from the pedal but truth is it’s not producing the exact sound I want. Is there an amp or other intermediary device you recommend that could solve the plug and play aspect (no computer needed) while providing more options to dial in the reverb/hall type sound I want? Thank you 🙏
Well, now you've opened up a real can of worms. Some amps have built-in reverb that may or may not be what you want, but with any setup you can buy a different reverb pedal if one is more to your liking than the Boss.

So if you want to ditch the computer but hear the pedal, yes, you'll need an amp. Built-in reverbs in amps tend not to be very adjustable; you like the sound or you don't. A new reverb pedal gives you many more options. Prices range from simple models under $100 to units costing 5x that. You can twiddle knobs all day and some you can even hook up to your computer to program for even more control.

I don't have an acoustic amp so someone else can make recommendations on that, but for a reverb pedal, I'd determine your budget, find the pedals in that range, and start watching YouTube reviews to hear the sounds you get out of them until you find one you think will suit you.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Ok understood that the pedal can be swapped for different reverb options. Sounds good. So a simple amp is what I need. Suggestions for my HS8 speakers are most welcome. I think they are 60watt. Thank you 🙏
Old 12-23-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Ok understood that the pedal can be swapped for different reverb options. Sounds good. So a simple amp is what I need. Suggestions for my HS8 speakers are most welcome. I think they are 60watt. Thank you 🙏
Those are powered speakers which means they have amps in them. I think it sounds that what you want to hear is a guitar amp.

Plug your guitar into your reverb pedal and then your pedal plugs into a guitar amp. You HS8s are not part of that.

As far as guitar amps go the first question is what's your budget?
Old 12-23-2023, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok understood that the pedal can be swapped for different reverb options. Sounds good. So a simple amp is what I need. Suggestions for my HS8 speakers are most welcome. I think they are 60watt. Thank you ��
Well yes no maybe
So your options are
#1 plug guitar into Boss then Boss into the Scarlett
(but if that is not the reverb you are after) then you could see if some other pedal reverb might work
#2 try and see if the plugin reverbs that come with the Scarlett sound close to what you want,, But that would require using the DAW/computer

#3 as mentioned an amp with BUT you need to decide on a budget first

Now there is no question that the DAW/computer plug in reverbs are going to have the most options for hall sounding reverbs and you do not risk spending money on pedals or amps that may not give you the sound you are after ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-23-2023, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I have a Boss Katana-50 amplifier from a few years ago. Will that be a sufficient amp? If not what is a decent quality amp for around $200 used? Thank you.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a Boss Katana-50 amplifier from a few years ago. Will that be a sufficient amp? If not what is a decent quality amp for around $200 used? Thank you.

"Sufficient" how ? 50 watts is more than "sufficient" power for home and most gigs.

The Katana is very popular. BUT wether or not the digital FX's it has will give you the tone you are after, can only be determined by you ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-24-2023, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I also have a SoloAmp SA220. I never thought to mention it because it’s a big piece of equipment for live performance but maybe that could work as the amp?
Old 12-24-2023, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also have a SoloAmp SA220. I never thought to mention it because it’s a big piece of equipment for live performance but maybe that could work as the amp?
Yes it will work But I have one also and found the reverb to be only so so

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Why is this in the RECORD sub-forum? Seems like OP is only interested in reverb for an amplified performance? I would suggest an IR-loader pedal for that kind of use - unlimited reverb/delay options there.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Why is this in the RECORD sub-forum? Seems like OP is only interested in reverb for an amplified performance? I would suggest an IR-loader pedal for that kind of use - unlimited reverb/delay options there.
I'd guess because of the first line in the O.P.s post:

"I want to record a certain reverb/hall sound using my classical-electric guitar."
Old 12-25-2023, 12:11 PM

Yamaha AG06 interface/mixer has a guitar emulator that gives nice tone, has good reverb and gets better with the computer app. Ditch the Scarlet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD