The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Default How do you use a Multiband limiter/compression tool?

Hi there!
Yet again...
I'm trying to edit some short/fast recordings that I did for doing a nice NGD post.
I'm using studio one.
Mainly with presets.
The compression tool with the "fingerstyle" preset seems to work well.
When eq'ing I just cut the lows to reduce noise for a more 'honest' recording.
Then I add the multiband.
I choose the "Hi Rez limiter" preset and it automatically sounds good.
Just increase the gain before it clips.
But at the same time I think it is losing some high end detail.

Does someone knows how to properly use a multiband limiter/compresser in solo acoustic instrumentals?

From the preset low mids seem to be higher than high mids and highs are really low.
Does this mean it is doing a separate eq that cuts the high end frequency/detail?
I tried increasing the high mids, but the sound gets less chunkier and I need to reduce the overall volume.
I'll try to upload it to soundcloud when I get home.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Does someone knows how to properly use a multiband limiter/compresser in solo acoustic instrumentals?
Good first lesson: record something with deliberate finger squeaks. Then try to tune one band so it ducks the squeaks while leaving the good stuff alone.

Couch Standards
Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Since your recording is for a NGD post I'd prefer to hear it recorded with as much realism as possible (transparent gear) then no post processing (no EQ, no compression, etc). If your ambient noise in your recording space is a problem, then maybe a high pass filter in the range of 40-60Hz.

But if your purpose isn't as much realism as possible, then I guess it depends on what you want to change from your raw recording.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Since your recording is for a NGD post I'd prefer to hear it recorded with as much realism as possible (transparent gear) then no post processing (no EQ, no compression, etc).
Sometimes a merely-okay recording sounds more "real" with the bad stuff corrected.

Couch Standards
Old 08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

There are lots of tutorials on using a multi-band compressor out there, maybe not so many on using it with acoustic guitar, but the concepts are easy to find. A lot of it depends on what you're trying to do, tho. I wouldn't just slap a multi-band compressor on a track because you have one - what problem are you trying to solve? A multi-band compressor is a powerful tool, and a really good way to seriously mess up the sound if mis-applied. For the most part, acoustic guitar shouldn't need much processing when it's the featured instrument - or a solo instrument - you don't say what your context is - strumming, fingerstyle, solo, in a mix with a band? You might compress it more if you're trying to get it to sit in a mix, like a rhythm guitar in a rock /pop track, but it all depends. More info, and preferably an example of your recording would make it easier for people to give advice. My advice in general on a multi-band compressor is to avoid them for acoustic guitar unless you absolutely need one.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
There are lots of tutorials on using a multi-band compressor out there, maybe not so many on using it with acoustic guitar, but the concepts are easy to find. A lot of it depends on what you're trying to do, tho. I wouldn't just slap a multi-band compressor on a track because you have one - what problem are you trying to solve? A multi-band compressor is a powerful tool, and a really good way to seriously mess up the sound if mis-applied. For the most part, acoustic guitar shouldn't need much processing when it's the featured instrument - or a solo instrument - you don't say what your context is - strumming, fingerstyle, solo, in a mix with a band? You might compress it more if you're trying to get it to sit in a mix, like a rhythm guitar in a rock /pop track, but it all depends. More info, and preferably an example of your recording would make it easier for people to give advice. My advice in general on a multi-band compressor is to avoid them for acoustic guitar unless you absolutely need one.
It on a instrumental solo. I guess it would be better to use a simple limiter then? I just applied with the preset because it seemed like magic making the recording sound more professional without much work, haha.
Here are the original and the processed one:

I'll try one with a simple limiter and some tweaking in the meantime.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Since your recording is for a NGD post I'd prefer to hear it recorded with as much realism as possible (transparent gear) then no post processing (no EQ, no compression, etc). If your ambient noise in your recording space is a problem, then maybe a high pass filter in the range of 40-60Hz.

But if your purpose isn't as much realism as possible, then I guess it depends on what you want to change from your raw recording.
I'm with brent on this one.
Most recordings I made so far won't sound like the real up and close experience just with the high pass filter and normalizing.
Especially using the zoom with the mic capsule instead of external mics.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for supplying the raw and processed recordings. When played at similar volumes I much prefer the raw.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It on a instrumental solo. I guess it would be better to use a simple limiter then? I just applied with the preset because it seemed like magic making the recording sound more professional without much work, haha.
I prefer your raw track, too. The compressed track just brings up the noise and sounds over-aggressive. Is the basic tone of this track what you want? I'd aim for a warmer sound, but that may be personal taste. How was this recorded?

There's a lot you can do to make a track sound "more professional", but most of it starts with the raw recording. For a solo guitar, there's really not a lot to do in a mix, for most good recordings. Maybe add a little reverb. For professional release, a mastering engineer would likely apply some compression, but they have better ears, better gear, and the experience to do it in a way that works well. For sharing here, posting to you tube, etc, compression isn't really needed.

Last edited by Doug Young; 08-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm with brent on this one.
Most recordings I made so far won't sound like the real up and close experience just with the high pass filter and normalizing.
Especially using the zoom with the mic capsule instead of external mics.
I really enjoyed the Fahey tune recordings (i.e. Spanish Two Step) on your mahogany guitar that you posted in the show and tell sub-forum a few months ago. Weren't those done with just the Zoom?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

The raw recording sounds ok but the processed one does not.

Sounds quite mono, even for Zoom's XY setup. Sure you did not pan R and L towards middle?

Lots of background noise.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-15-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 AM

With compression presets are just starting points. Used subtly a multi and is a great tool - but you will need your ears!
Martin J40
Old 08-16-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
I really enjoyed the Fahey tune recordings (i.e. Spanish Two Step) on your mahogany guitar that you posted in the show and tell sub-forum a few months ago. Weren't those done with just the Zoom?
Yep.
But I also processed that one (not with a multi-band).
I think I'll need to bring it closer the guitar for less noise/clearer recording and bring the low-end down.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The raw recording sounds ok but the processed one does not.

Sounds quite mono, even for Zoom's XY setup. Sure you did not pan R and L towards middle?

Lots of background noise.
I usually record direct in stereo... Is it better to record mono and pan?

The background noise comes from a water feature. I'll retry with a closer position.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Multiband compression is mostly used to correct issues found in a mix (of multiple instruments + voices). I've never heard of anyone purposely using one for a solo acoustic guitar. If you track an acoustic guitar correctly, you shouldn't need do nothing more than a little reverb and EQ to get a decent sound. But of course it might take some work finding the best mic placement for your instrument and room.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD