The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Ambient Swells Volume Pedal Placement

Before drives or after drives? Which do you think gives a better ambient effect? Assuming the VP is before delay and reverb^
Do you think swells are better with no drive at all (drive turned off)?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I RARELY use drives when talking ambient swells. To ME, the term “ambient” brings reverb and delay to mind. Possibly a bit of chorus as well...in some instances. In fact I don’t remember ever using drive with “ambient swells”.

So in my case my VP Jr. is before my drive, delay, and reverb. And since I don’t use my Archer Ikon when playing ambient stuff it’s irrelevant where my VP is placed.

I lead a large P&W team which focuses more on songs by Jesus Culture, All Sons And Daughters, Hillsongs. etc.

Although we def use drives, our “ambient” tones are used more on the worship side, rather than the praise side.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Pedal placed in the middle

When I got an MVP anniversary model, the literature said it can be used either in front of the board or after buffered pedals (they don't say anywhere whether it's hi or low impedance). I moved it to after my drives but before modulation, delay and reverb. This way I can play crunch tones at lower volumes if needed. I agree with the previous poster, ambient swells are clean and volume pedal placement really doesn't make a difference when OD isn't engaged, although I do occasionally swell a heavily driven chord and the closing of a song.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I put the volume pedal before drive stages because the fade up through the various amounts of drive adds interest to the swell. You can swell up only part the way up and get one sound and then swell more or less on the next swell and get another.

If you ever want a really interesting effect, try swells into delay and reverb with the volume and wah pedals side-by-side and operated with the same foot.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM

I sure as heck am no expert. And like "PTony" I play lead in our worship team. I have my VP before everything, then preamp, drive, chorus, delay, verb and back to preamp. I run my swells out of my Big Sky reverb, usually setting up the profile I want the week before. Occasionally I've run swells thru the VP but to be honest, I've had some line issues with it so its been in and out of the rig the last month or so. Hopefully those issues are in the past after today... its always something. ;-)

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
ambient swell, electric, guitar, pedal order, volume pedal