The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 AM

Default Recording fright?

Hey everyone,

Wondering if others have this experience. First, by "recording", I'm really not referring to professional recording in a studio. I enjoy playing primarily for myself - sometimes with a few family or friends. There is definitely a difference in my playing when I play by myself, vs. playing with other people present - I make more mistakes when other people are listening. But it's worse when I try to record myself. Sometimes when I'm playing for myself, I'll learn a song, and decide to record it so I can hear timing, volume, etc. I can learn a song, play it perfect 5 times in a row...but when I hit that record button I will flub it up every single time! It's so frustrating! I know it's all psychological...but wondering if others have this same experience? It seems that my playing ability degrades worse just by recording, than if I'm playing with family/friends present.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 AM

If there's a big difference between when you're recording vs when you're not, then always be recording.

Couch Standards
Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Hey everyone,

Wondering if others have this experience. First, by "recording", I'm really not referring to professional recording in a studio. I enjoy playing primarily for myself - sometimes with a few family or friends. There is definitely a difference in my playing when I play by myself, vs. playing with other people present - I make more mistakes when other people are listening. But it's worse when I try to record myself. Sometimes when I'm playing for myself, I'll learn a song, and decide to record it so I can hear timing, volume, etc. I can learn a song, play it perfect 5 times in a row...but when I hit that record button I will flub it up every single time! It's so frustrating! I know it's all psychological...but wondering if others have this same experience? It seems that my playing ability degrades worse just by recording, than if I'm playing with family/friends present.
You have to practice recording yourself, just like you practice playing. Just record sections of your practicing. Do it everyday if you can. Just do it enough so that it becomes second nature. You don't have to listen to what you record at first, delete it. The recording result isn't important at this point, but the act of recording is.

You want to just keep pushing the record button to the point that it's just like tuning your guitar, something that's not out of your ordinary playing routine.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I have been recording myself with the guitar since I was 16 years old, and that is now 54 years ago. And still, every time I turn on the recorder, I mess up a few times. I think it's the stress of suddenly feeling like I shouldn't be making any mistakes.

As Barry noted above, the more you record yourself, the better you get. Also, in general the better prepared you are, the fewer mistakes you will make. But even when I am very well prepared for a recording session -- and I usually do a song recording at least once every week for my YouTube channel -- I don't usually get what I want on the first take. Sometimes it happens, but more often I may need a half dozen tries to get myself together and get used to the added pressure.

I have found that the best way to prepare for a live performance is to record myself as I rehearse. For me, the pressure of performing live and performing with a recorder turned on is very similar. In fact, I find the recorder more intimidating than a live audience, though I have no idea why that might be. It may be that I know I will be harder in judging my performance on a recording than the audience will be in judging my live performance.

- Glenn
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I think it's the stress of suddenly feeling like I shouldn't be making any mistakes.
This, although it’s not so much that I shouldn’t be making mistakes - but that I have to redo it if I make mistakes.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Are you wearing headphones? Take the headphones off after you get your levels set. And why wait till you've played it five times in a row? Push record the first time you learn it all the way through.

A lot of times, for me at least, it's not the record button activated, but that I've played it 3 or 4 times through and now my mind is wandering or, if I have headphones on, hearing something that is distracting that on replay you scratch your head wondering why it bothered you. When your mind is wondering, put your guitar down, go get some air and come back to it. You'd be surprised how many times just taking a short break will reward you with a keeper take.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've dealt with this and I deal with this, both as a guitarist and as a recording engineer, which is my profession. Two things work for me: repetition (recording over and over again) and a gentle inner monologue. You have to record enough to begin to understand in your gut that there are no takes that can't be discarded. There is no attempt that should be dumped if it isn't good enough. And then you have to come to terms with your own inner critic: learn how to critique and encourage at the same time. I've written an essay about it, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Excellent advice from everybody. Another thing you can do is keep an inexpensive mic set up at all times, so every time you play, play to the mic and pretend the red light is on--kind of like rehearsing a presentation in front of a mirror.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Yes, I've experienced the same thing.
IMO, and in my experience, the solution (as it is with performing) is to just do it more.

... and I've found the best way to improve is to record and listen back.
When playing I'm busy.
Much of my brain is occupied doing something difficult.
Only when listening back is all of my brain available.
I can get what I think is a perfect take, but on playback I'll hear things than could be refined.

This is one reason I (as a guitar teacher) record my students as a teaching tool.

Last edited by Tico; 07-15-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

What everybody else has said
And I will add that

I think everybody goes through some form of "recording fright" and I think Glenn hit the nail on the head that at least part of the reason is "I think it's the stress of suddenly feeling like I shouldn't be making any mistakes."

Which is somewhat ironical given that, as has also been pointed out, with digital recording there is always another take to be had. And in a live performance there is only one take .
But I also will add that playing for ones self or even other people all the ambient noise and the situation itself somewhat masks or allows us to overlook many minor issues that recording really highlights (even while tracking ) and more so on playback.
One thing I try to do is as Bob mentioned is practice enough that I can play the piece in the dark or eyes closed repeatedly with no flaws
Then I also usually set up "loop" recording if doing dubs or just start over after any flub with one shot all at the same time recording .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM

I've been doing this for years but every time I hit record, I tighten up. So, I share your misery.

One other thing: I've noticed that when I'm not recording, I'm not as tuned into mistakes I make.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 AM

Very normal, gets better the more you do it (assuming you know the piece well enough)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

A couple of more things.... When you think a song is ready to be recorded and shared here, practice it for a bit more instead. Then when you do record it, do about 10-12 recordings of the song and pick the best one of the bunch. When you know you are going to do several recordings, it takes pressure off. It isn't do or die. If you get that feeling no matter how many versions you do, the song isn't ready to be shared.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Not exactly a fright but rather a chore. But, it's a good way to make personal assessments. I tend to put it off because it makes me assemble more concern about my playing than I would normally put into it. Even then I tend to make a single run-through, call it good and publish it inside of 5 minutes. If there are no remarkable flubs, the recording is remarkably good for me. My attention span for recording is about that long.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Lots of great advice!

When I sit down to record, I've already decided the energy is there and...."tonight's the night!" (or similar!). this follows a lot of prep and not something I've rushed.

I accept that I'll do any number of initial takes that won't be keepers, but getting me set for one that brings it together on take 5 or 25!. So early on I know not to beat myself up! Just play through things and listen back.

If I know I'm in the middle of a great take, I try to not get caught up mentally with "this one is really good.........oh boy here comes the end, don't mess up". If I'm in the groove and know it, I try to will myself to stay there and not get caught up in what's going so great that I mess up the end.

I try to be ready to record two songs rather than one. If I'm messing up, I'll take a break with recording the other one. Some of my best efforts have been with this approach, as I'm usually warmed up by then.

I try to hold to recording no more than 2 hours or less. I'll know when I'm tired..........move to practice and try again in a week or two, or even the next night, depending on how things are working out.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD