The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM

Default Electric string life

How often generally do you change strings? Do they last longer or not so long as acoustic strings? I'm buying my 14 year old nephew his strings and just wondering how often I should post him a set. I'm currently buying him Ernie Ball 'Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms'.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
How often generally do you change strings? Do they last longer or not so long as acoustic strings? I'm buying my 14 year old nephew his strings and just wondering how often I should post him a set. I'm currently buying him Ernie Ball 'Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms'.

It really depends but I do change the strings on my electrics more often than my acoustics. If he plays a lot, don’t be surprised if he wants new strings every other week.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

My electric strings last a long time, in fact I like them better after they've lost the fresh-string brightness, and I'll keep them on the guitar until they sound quite dead playing unplugged. I change my acoustic strings a lot more often, particularly my 6-string (well, it's 12, but 6 are harp strings).
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
It really depends but I do change the strings on my electrics more often than my acoustics. If he plays a lot, don’t be surprised if he wants new strings every other week.
Thanks. I had a feeling this would be the case since I guessed the strings contribute more to the sound of an electric than an acoustic. An electric is just a block of wood with strings on isn't it? The body isn't going to contribute to the sound as much as an electric. My acoustic sounds the same however old the strings are, more or less. He started on my acoustic, which I'm getting back shortly, and has just got this electric and I'd like to keep him enthused by making sure he's always got good tone.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM

When I was playing and practicing with bands, I needed to change the strings on my electrics at least once a month. Now I go longer but it’s also because I have more guitars now.

I couldn’t afford guitars when I was trying to make money playing them. 😀
Old 07-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
My electric strings last a long time, in fact I like them better after they've lost the fresh-string brightness, and I'll keep them on the guitar until they sound quite dead playing unplugged. I change my acoustic strings a lot more often, particularly my 6-string (well, it's 12, but 6 are harp strings).
I like worn strings on acoustic but my nephew said how great his guitar sounded with the new strings I bought him so I'm assuming he likes that 'new string jangle'.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
When I was playing and practicing with bands, I needed to change the strings on my electrics at least once a month. Now I go longer but it’s also because I have more guitars now.

I couldn’t afford guitars when I was trying to make money playing them. 😀
Yes, I've heard it said working musicians don't have 'swanky' guitars, which is a bit ironic really.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 PM

I couldn't tell you the last time I changed the strings on my electrics.

I love the sound and feel of new strings on my Martin more so than my electrics but will play the old ones until well past their used by.

Just the thought of having to change strings.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Admittedly I don't play my electrics nearly as often as my acoustics, but the 12-52 EJ21 D'Addario strings I use last awhile. Regardless whether it's needed or not, I try to change them every 6 months or so.

Those light top/heavy bottom strings last a bit longer than typical sets of 10s or 9s.

If your nephew is playing aggressively with lots of bends, and chunky power chords (which I'd assume based on string choice), I'd say every couple weeks if play is 2+ hours a day.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Admittedly I don't play my electrics nearly as often as my acoustics, but the 12-52 EJ21 D'Addario strings I use last awhile. Regardless whether it's needed or not, I try to change them every 6 months or so.

Those light top/heavy bottom strings last a bit longer than typical sets of 10s or 9s.

If your nephew is playing aggressively with lots of bends, and chunky power chords (which I'd assume based on string choice), I'd say every couple weeks if play is 2+ hours a day.
I'll ask him to tell me when he thinks they are dead.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 AM

When they don't stay in tune or intonate, change them.

When I was playing in a band every week (practice plus gigs - with only 1 guitar) I'd change strings once a week. They were less than $5 a set (Fender Bullets) back then.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 AM

I like the new string sound and feel on my electrics so if I have a gig coming up I will change them the day before. Otherwise they last.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
the strings contribute more to the sound of an electric than an acoustic. An electric is just a block of wood with strings on isn't it?
Almost everything on almost every instrument contributes to the sound (acoustical properties).
Guitars are made from TONE woods, aluminum, steel, composites, etc..
Brass barrels vs modern contraptions,
stainless or nickel frets,
rosewood or maple necks,
string gauge and composition, etcetera infinitum....

You asked.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM

as others mention, it depends on his amount of usage, his amount of sweat, his ability to wipe the strings down after usage and his washing his hands prior to playing.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I had a feeling this would be the case since I guessed the strings contribute more to the sound of an electric than an acoustic. An electric is just a block of wood with strings on isn't it? The body isn't going to contribute to the sound as much as an electric. My acoustic sounds the same however old the strings are, more or less. He started on my acoustic, which I'm getting back shortly, and has just got this electric and I'd like to keep him enthused by making sure he's always got good tone.
you may find a lot of people who feel otherwise.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars