The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Well, the guitar in Steve's left hand has a non-Kinnairdish headstock - could it possibly be by another luthier? I assumed it was a Kinnaird since he can and will vary the headstock, but what do I know?

I'm interested, Tom, in hearing about that 00 prototype you are holding. Did you post a NGD on that one? I don't remember seeing it.
OK, I guess I should have eliminated fellow Texans from the competition!!! You have identified the anomaly, but not 100% right. It is a Kinnaird, but a John Kinnaird, not a Steve Kinnaird. We let it be in the picture so John's feelings would not be hurt hahahahahahaha!!!!! It has a beautiful inlay of a dancing Scottish woman doing a sword dance done by Jimmi Wingert. Nice Scottish thistle fretboard inlays as well.

The 00 is their prototype they built before building one for a client who commissioned one from them. Since they had not done an 00, they thought it might be best to build one first. I purchased it from them at the Woodstock show 2017. It is a wonderful little guitar with a big boy sound. No thumpy little box sound. I really like it, very comfy to hold and play and yet you don't sacrifice anything in the sound department. It has a quick attack and nice clear notes with plenty of low end as well. I know they have built more since the first two as well. It is a really nice option and I am glad I got it. I am about an hour south of Austin, when your new one is done, maybe we need to have our own little Kinnaird get together!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
... I am about an hour south of Austin, when your new one is done, maybe we need to have our own little Kinnaird get together!
Sounds fun...may I come?

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-05-2018, 11:50 AM

Steve, Tom, Ryan, I would be honored if you came by for a visit. I've already extended an invitation to everyone whose name is written in my red gum OM, and I believe all of your names are in there (along with about 30 others). In fact, Austin would be a great place to have a get-together along the lines of Tim McKight's McJam (though I'd be hard pressed to come up with such a catchy name).
Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

July 5: Setting tuners

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-06-2018, 03:33 AM

Default One is John's!

Is one of them a John Kinnaird guitar?!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Is one of them a John Kinnaird guitar?!

Yes sir, that is correct, you win a t-shirt that I don't have!!!! Woot Woot!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Default A visit?

Then maybe you just have to come to Colorado for a visit! Is that the cancelation (sic) prize?!
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-06-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Then maybe you just have to come to Colorado for a visit! Is that the cancelation (sic) prize?!
If that is second prize, I will take that one over the T-Shirt....
Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Which guitar gets the most playing time?

So Tom, which of the Kinnaird guitars seem to be getting the most playing time from you these days? I know with mine, I tend to rotate thru them and the 'which' is always changing, but my '00' (by far, likely because it is the newest and my all-time favorite size) and the ancient Kauri SJ seem to be getting the most at the moment, at my end.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 AM

My Ziricote/Port Orford SJ receives the bulk of my attention currently. I am going to list my Honduran/Adi OM on the forum soon and commission a 00 from Steve this fall. That will give me a nice, relaxing on the couch size guitar. Tom has 3 sizes, SJ, OM and 00 so I'm curious to hear which gets the most playtime. Plus getting a 00 started gives me an excuse to make another trip down to the shop and search through their amazing collection of wood which always makes for a great day
Martin J-41

Last edited by Daveac; 07-09-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Default Sounds terrific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
My Ziricote/Port Orford SJ receives the bulk of my attention currently. I am going to list my Honduran/Adi OM on the forum soon and commission a 00 from Steve this fall. That will give me a nice relaxing on the couch size guitar. Tom has 3 sizes, SJ, OM and 00 so I'm curious to hear which gets the most playtime. Plus getting a 00 started gives me an excuse to make another trip down to the shop and search through their amazing collection of wood which always makes for a great day
You will NOT be disappointed (with ANY Kinnaird, but especially) with the '00' - it is really a LOVELY instrument. I perhaps went out on a limb and commissioned mine w/ very, very light bracing on the top - committing to ONLY EVER using silk 'n steel strings. That might sound a little aggressive to be thusly restricted; but, oh my goodness! The combination of powerful sound w/ absolutely butter-soft strings truly is phenomenal.

At the time i commissioned it, i thought "am i really sure?!" but now i think: 'Genius!' Similarly, a while back i had my original Martin 00-21's bracing scalloped (a trick performed by Richard Johnston of Gryphon Stringed Instruments, in Palo Alto, CA, with his hand going thru the sound hole carving away while watching TV)...I was nervous having such a seemingly radical modification (and no doubt voiding any Martin warranty on the instrument), but what a smart choice it was. The circa 1974 Martin, built in its 'industrial age' needed a little 'lightening up!'

That was the impetus for requesting the super-lightly braced '00'. But i have played Tom's '00' and both are spectacular instruments and i think you'll totally love the 'conversion' or perhaps you'd call it a 'downsize' from the OM to the '00!' [But, honestly, do you HAVE to sell the OM? Tom and i would say you can have both, you know! But perhaps the wallet or wife think otherwise, huh?] Make sure and post us a thread about it, as you go!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Man, I'd better get a deposit in ASAP for the one I'm discussing with him now!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Interesting discussion, I would have to say, that the 00 which we need to call the BT model since it was Mr. Tucker who got the boys to build their first 00, which I own, but was merely a practice model for the real one that Bob has, is Verra Nice. I know Christie had one built also, is that it??? It is a perfect size and I do play mine a lot. It has a crisp quick attack with none of that thudding sound of a small guitar improperly built. Very comfy to play also.

However, right now, it is a quilted Maple OM that I purchased used from the forum that I am playing the most. Maybe because it is the newest, but I think it has THE perfect sound. I told Steve just last week when he was playing it, that for whatever reason, I thought that was the perfect Kinnaird. I would not sell it for anything, well, 50 grand would probably take it, but nothing less.

What was really fun was placing them all in Steve's capable hands and listening to him noodle away on all of them, like long lost friends. He mentioned he liked my Southeast Asian Rosewood a lot, one of his favorites, but I still think my decked out BRW SJ is right up there for them and me.

It was funny also, the maple was tuned to open E and I forgot to tell him about it when I gave it to him. I had forgotten also and he was noodling away for 10 minutes playing this really nice sounding stuff and then says, what is this tuned in LOL! I said how can you be playing it so well with all that cool stuff and you did not even know how it was tuned!!!!

Tom
Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the love, and by all means keep up the conversation. Just posting background pictures here.

July 9: Playing around

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

It took me 65 years to come up with those age spots on the right hand.
Might as well show them off!
But this was a fun day. I love getting to play these things! (Whatever tuning they might be in. )

Thanks,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop