The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 AM

Default Gibson sg standard v sg special 2018 models

How do these conpare in sound and feel. Anyone care to conment?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The main differences are going to be the body, neck, and pickups.

The body of the standard is typically a one-piece body. Anything below that level is typically multipiece. There are those who say the multi-piece bodies don't resonate as much and have a harder sound.
The Standard neck is bound, including the fret ends. The Special neck is unbound. The Standard with typically have a smoother feel along the edge as a result.
The pickups. From what I can tell the 61 Humbuckers will be fairly smooth with a little extra gain offered by their Alnico V magnets. The Special's Mini humbuckers will be brighter and closer in sound to a single-coil pickup. Since the all-mahogany SG starts out as a brighter, "pingier" guitar than the Les Paul, you'll have to decide which one is better for you.

I hope that helps!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 AM

I think that sums it up really well. I was comparing SG’s when I stumbled upon the Guild S-100 I picked up. Clearly modeled after the SG, it has certainly scratched that itch for me. Like the SG, sooo comfortable with similar tones. Everyone needs a guitar like an SG in their arsenal.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My SG Standard '61 Reissue Limited Edition:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
My SG Standard '61 Reissue Limited Edition:

Bob
Ugh...I remember when this was new! 1961 where are you?
Beautiful guitar Bob. One of my all time favorites.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The main differences are going to be the body, neck, and pickups.

The body of the standard is typically a one-piece body. Anything below that level is typically multipiece. There are those who say the multi-piece bodies don't resonate as much and have a harder sound.
The Standard neck is bound, including the fret ends. The Special neck is unbound. The Standard with typically have a smoother feel along the edge as a result.
The pickups. From what I can tell the 61 Humbuckers will be fairly smooth with a little extra gain offered by their Alnico V magnets. The Special's Mini humbuckers will be brighter and closer in sound to a single-coil pickup. Since the all-mahogany SG starts out as a brighter, "pingier" guitar than the Les Paul, you'll have to decide which one is better for you.

I hope that helps!

Bob
I've got an SGJ with the '61 pickups and a Standard with 57 classics. The '61 pickups are hotter and a tad harsher too (not in a bad way). I don't think you can go wrong with any SG. It all comes down to the feel of the neck profile. Those two guitar necks are completely different (thick vs thin).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars