The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Eastman T185MX

Edit: Original photos replaced with better ones!
________

Over the weekend, I received a new-to-me Eastman T185MX. This guitar has a hand-carved maple top, solid mahogany body and neck, ebony board, and flame maple wood binding throughout. The hardware is mostly Gotoh (tailpiece, bridge, and tuners) with a pair of Duncan 59s for sound (note: older versions had gold hardware and Kent Armstrong pickups).

The build quality is simply excellent. This is all solid wood construction with a 15" lower bout (they also make 14" and 16" versions). Unlike their laminate models, which are designed closer to an ES-335, this guitar only has a small 2x3" center block under the bridge / tailpiece, which makes it more resonant. I am so impressed with the hand-carved top and body, which leverages their builders' background in making string instruments.

I ran it through a variety of sounds, and it performed very well. The resonance and sustain are unlike any guitar I've previously owned (this is my first semi-hollow), and it just has a really cool vibe that makes it so much fun to play. Also, while I didn't blow the roof off of my house, I did crank it up and experienced no feedback issues (which I read could be an issue with solid body semi-hollows).

Overall, I could not be more pleased with this instrument. There aren't very many of these guitars in the wild, and there's not much info online, so I encourage any discussion about them here.

Here are the obligatory NGD photos (apologies, they turned out a little grainy... may try to take some new ones later this week):

Last edited by Pura Vida; 07-28-2018 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Improved photos
Old 07-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Eastman makes good guitars. That’s a beautiful one.

So this model is not made of wood laminates? That makes a significant difference in tone.

Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks --- I'm an Eastman fan, and I own several of their acoustic guitars.

And that's correct. The Tx86 models (386, 486) are laminate, as are their antique varnish models (T64/v, T59v). But the T18x models (T184, T185, T186) are 100% solid wood.

I really love the tone and sustain on this guitar. I've played this through an amp, into a small PA system, and even a pair of headphones. Totally impressed!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Congrats! I'm a big fan of the SD '59 but I've never played them in a hollow / semi-hollow body before. I bet they sing.

Are you saying that the arched top of your guitar is solid and not laminate? I just checked the specs, it's solid maple top. Looks like Eastman is going to have to add your pic to their list of Artists on their spec page .
Old 07-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Yep. Solid top, solid body. Lots of air in between!

They can add me to their Artist page, if I can get a discount on my next purchase (maybe a solid body, LP style electric). Gotta sell my early 2000's Brian Moore and maybe one acoustic first.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 PM

Congratulations on the T185MX. That's one fine looking guitar (it looks like they matched the wood on both the top and the back really well, unlike quite a few that I saw). From what I read when I was looking at them (before I bought my T184MX), the SD 59's really make it shine.

I hope you enjoy your new Eastman as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 PM

That 15" body is a nice size for someone wanting/needing a more "compact" semi, without going down to a 14-incher - I've got an Epi Ultra 339 that's just a little bit too small for this old-time jazzbox player - and since she's been doing more electric work with our band lately I just might need to, um, buy one for my wife...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks --- I'm an Eastman fan, and I own several of their acoustic guitars.

And that's correct. The Tx86 models (386, 486) are laminate, as are their antique varnish models (T64/v, T59v). But the T18x models (T184, T185, T186) are 100% solid wood.

I really love the tone and sustain on this guitar. I've played this through an amp, into a small PA system, and even a pair of headphones. Totally impressed!
That's really cool. Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Congratulations on the T185MX. That's one fine looking guitar (it looks like they matched the wood on both the top and the back really well, unlike quite a few that I saw). From what I read when I was looking at them (before I bought my T184MX), the SD 59's really make it shine.

I hope you enjoy your new Eastman as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Pax, thank you! Yes, despite the two different tonewoods (maple top, mahogany body), the coloring matches well, so it looks very uniform. The 59s are really nice and sound good, no matter what I've thrown at them. Cheers!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
That 15" body is a nice size for someone wanting/needing a more "compact" semi, without going down to a 14-incher - I've got an Epi Ultra 339 that's just a little bit too small for this old-time jazzbox player - and since she's been doing more electric work with our band lately I just might need to, um, buy one for my wife...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
I'm a big guy (6'2"), and I agree that it's a really nice size. It doesn't feel small in the least, whether I'm playing standing up with a strap or sitting down. And the neck is extremely comfortable too (1.75" nut width)... sometimes my fingers stumble over each other on a smaller, electric neck.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Pax, thank you! Yes, despite the two different tonewoods (maple top, mahogany body), the coloring matches well, so it looks very uniform. The 59s are really nice and sound good, no matter what I've thrown at them. Cheers!
It also looks like they did a good job of book matching, from what I can see.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Pax, yes... I'm really impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship. And so much fun to play!
Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

OP updated with improved photos. The original photos turned out dark and grainy, but these ones are better!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It looks lovely!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bob. It gets me back into the electric world, as I've been playing almost exclusively acoustic for the last few years. I'm planning to add a LP style solid body later this year (probably after I sell an early 2000's Brian Moore). I was drooling a little over your recent NGD post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars