The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-22-2018, 05:27 PM

I prefer a desktop, since I can use a larger monitor placed in the corner, to reduce eye strain. I also like a real keyboard, and loathe touch pads. I don't travel much anymore, and the old laptop is relegated to backup computer status on the other desk.

Since I still work, there is a need to stay in the PC / Windows world to communicate files to clients. We have Office for Mac too on the Mac Book, but the Apple interface (and that laptop keyboard) keep me from using it much.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Desk top, custom built maybe 4 years agoby my local IT guy. Windows 7 as I requested.
I have a laptop in the lounge - also w7.

I'd kinda like a mac but too costly.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Desk top, custom built maybe 4 years agoby my local IT guy. Windows 7 as I requested.
I have a laptop in the lounge - also w7.

I'd kinda like a mac but too costly.
There are rumors of a Mac mini refresh but I find the top tier Windows systems are priced like Macs.

End of life is coming for your Windows 7 but to me there are great choices no matter what you get.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
Old 08-25-2018, 06:17 PM

i got a $8 wifi adapter from ebay, after a week, i havent had any internet disconnects, it seems longer to open the web, but once its open, speed seems the same
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 08-27-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
fumei, do you do astro image processing?
Yes, some. I am no expert. I have been doing visual astronomy for 50 years, but just started doing serious imaging. Have done "light" stuff for a long time (star trails, wide field, landscape shots etc.)

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 08-27-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 PM

i mainly use a 27" imac for everything including recording. i do have an ipad and an iphone that come in handy now and then.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM

I received a private message from these posts asking how I run Windows on a Mac. I'll answer for all in case it's helpful to others.

I run a virtual machine (guest) same time the Mac's OS (host) is running so I can do about all I want and don't have a computer's space used by partitioning a dual boot system.

There are a few hypervisors (what runs your virtual machine) available but I have a preference for VMware. Fusion is their Mac product. I have nothing against Parallels or free hypervisors but VMware offers the most whether it's capabilities or support. You're buying from a serious high level enterprise software vendor.

Most people should be fine with the less expensive version. I use the Pro because the feature set is appropriate for my day job.

This virtual machine idea really applies to Windows as much as a Mac. It's how you can keep an old XP system going, a good way to test things, the list could go on. Mac or Windows, you benefit by enough RAM and fast storage.

For older computers I suggest trying the free demo versions of VMware Fusion or Workstation first. The demo license is 30 days.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:30 PM

Imwjl,

Thanks for the response to virtual windows on a Mac. That should be enough info to get me started and up and running. Appreciate your insight.

Brad
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I used to use a laptop pretty much exclusively, but as it aged it got really slow, I don't type as well on the level keyboards, I like the raised keys better, grew up in typing class in high school. I have a bigger screen, seems faster to log on and turn on. I keep in touch almost exclusively, however, with my iphone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic