The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 AM

Default Emerald guitar lead times

HI all - i am thinking of ordereding a custom emerald x20.

It says a 2 month biuld time, anyone have experience with dealing with emerald? are they pretty on point with delivery in relation to the lead time? just dont want to order and wait 2 months to be told it might take longer - im impatient - really i am looking to get this as a gigging guitar and if it did take longer than 2 months i may blow past my gigging season..
Old 04-01-2021, 09:45 AM

Mine was done recently. It was promised in 4 months, but they had it done in 2. Unfortunately, shipping has been about 20 days so far and it's still not showing up in the USA system. My recommendation would be to make sure you opt for the more expensive shipping option. I didn't know about it when I ordered mine, wish I had.

I would, however, let them know about your needs and see if they can accommodate before ordering. I know they are expanding production at the moment, but I don't know if that will help or hurt your situation right now.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM

I just sent them an email.
I was hoping they'd have an 800 number...
Old 04-01-2021, 10:43 AM

I was expecting 4 months, and the guitar showed up in the shipping video 5-1/2 weeks in (Mar 26). However, I have not received any notice of shipping as of yet. Edit: received it 10 days later. It was shipped, just not notified. So just under 7 weeks, in my hands. I was impressed.

Last edited by Warren01; 04-18-2021 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Was that for a custom order? I am still waiting on a June 4 order from last year. It may have to do with the level of customization.

...and then the whole pandemic thing...

-b
Old 04-01-2021, 11:15 AM

not sure how much of a custom order. I picked my veneer and asked for jumbo frets and that's it.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16 AM

yes, this was a custom order for 2 months, but i picked a pretty plain jane guitar with only real customization being a pickup...
Old 04-01-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland8900 View Post
Was that for a custom order? I am still waiting on a June 4 order from last year. It may have to do with the level of customization.

...and then the whole pandemic thing...

-b
You're worse off than me, b, but not by much.

I started with an X30 fan-fret baritone (25.5-27" fan (same as their X20 7-stringers but six strings on an X30) but no veneer, no electronics and gig bag only) that arrived just a couple of days short of 7 months from date of order. Two weeks after receipt of the X30 I ordered a "matching" bare bones X20 with a "DADGAD" 25-26" fan. It's now been 7+ months since ordering...

The single customization of both guitars is the multi-scale neck and bridge placement.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:21 PM

I ordered my X30 on January the 22nd 2021 and I received it yesterday, March 31st 2021. So around nine weeks (including shipping). I picked the expensive shipping (was UPS) and it shipped out last Friday, March the 26th and I received a tracking number that day (same day as shipping video). As already stated, I received it yesterday, March the 31st. So five days for the shipping. I was told 4 months when I placed my order.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

My short scale X20 took less than two months, including the 6 days transit time via UPS.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
not sure how much of a custom order. I picked my veneer and asked for jumbo frets and that's it.
The degree of customization will have an impact on build time of course. The one I have on order changed pickups, veneer, frets, body, string count, etc so is expected to be on the longer side of the build time. I think the factory shut down at one point too. It's really exciting to watch all of the changes at Emerald to adopt to a higher volume model so I expect if customizing within the builder rules, lead times will be as stated.

-B
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM

I ordered mine last November. It was also a custom with a veneer and a slotted headstock. I was just told it was another 4-5 weeks out, but this is after being told it would be ready by end of March. So, we're looking at 6 months for delivery. The difficulty is that certain customizations, like the slotted headstock, are all done by one guy-Alastair. And, given the range of tasks the owner of the company is required to deal with, there's a certain unpredictability to his schedule. I knew this going in and am not surprised that it's taken longer than promised.

If you're ordering customizations that are listed in the builder program on their website, you should have a substantially shorter wait.
Emerald X-20
Fender Tele Gatton model
Old 04-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
You're worse off than me, b, but not by much.

I started with an X30 fan-fret baritone (25.5-27" fan (same as their X20 7-stringers but six strings on an X30) but no veneer, no electronics and gig bag only) that arrived just a couple of days short of 7 months from date of order. Two weeks after receipt of the X30 I ordered a "matching" bare bones X20 with a "DADGAD" 25-26" fan. It's now been 7+ months since ordering...

The single customization of both guitars is the multi-scale neck and bridge placement.

Phil
A fan fret X30 baritone! That must be a real rush to play. Do you have a pickup(s) in it?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
A fan fret X30 baritone! That must be a real rush to play. Do you have a pickup(s) in it?
No pickup installed but am planning on putting one in if gigs ever pick up again.

The X30 was a replacement of a 26"-27.25" fan fret jumbo redwood/black walnut baritone which I played on my first CD. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on it but I needed a baritone so I ordered the X30 in the first week of January 2020. It was delivered the 1st week of August just a few days shy of 7 months from date-of-order.

I've just finished tracking for my 2nd CD and have recorded 3 pieces with the X30 (and 3 others with a Rainsong 'Nashville'). Just have preliminary, not-yet-mastered tracks but have put one up on my Soundcloud page:

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 AM

If I didn't know any better I would have thought that was a harp guitar! Excellent song philjs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber