The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Hey Dan - This has been pure joy to follow. Looking forward to your assessment of the guitar when you get it into your hands. Most luthiers - and you're now one of them - are highly self-critical so we'll be expecting the straight scoop

best,
Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 04-04-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very cool, Dan--it looks like a sweet little guitar!

I look forward to seeing and trying it out one of these days.

Cheers
Thanks Kevin. I will most definitely bring it to B.I.G. as long as Vasu and John agree to bring theirs. I'd love for you to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Hey Dan - This has been pure joy to follow. Looking forward to your assessment of the guitar when you get it into your hands. Most luthiers - and you're now one of them - are highly self-critical so we'll be expecting the straight scoop

best,
Robert
Thanks Robert. I don't know if I'd call myself a luthier. I'm more like an actor playing the roll of a luthier on TV, or in this case, the AGF. However, the supporting cast has a knack and history of turning out great results, so I think luck is firmly on my side.

So, without further ado, the last batch of photos until we see the finish on this honey.

After a hearty celebration breakfast at Dollie's and some cups of coffee we made our way to the shop and started in on the bridge. I opted for a pyramid bridge because I like the traditional flair it provides, especially on a small bodied guitar. Here I am sanding the ends to start the process off.

Roughing out the plane of the pyramid. This process takes time, and one needs to whittle away bits and pieces at a time using a chisel, rasp file, sanding block and a razor blade or scraping tool. Steve is particularly fond of neck and bridge shaping, for it's like sculpting. I'm no Michelangelo, but his name came up in conversation.

After getting things to an acceptable state, we went on to sanding the bridge plate to match the arch of the top. We have to be careful now, for that Redwood is soft!

We inlaid fret dots.

And made the truss rod cover.

By the way, for those of you who don't know, Bob Tucker's favorite color was purple. He would be proud of this little OO.

Finally, and with much bitter sweetness, we took final photos of what we had achieved.

Again, what a fantastic week and just an unforgettable experience, but like most good things, they had to come to an end. However in some sense, I also feel its like a new beginning. Perhaps I'm delirious, but I see myself trying to build myself another one in the near future. Except, I'm thinking it might take a year or more instead of a week next time.

Thanks for following along. It has been fun keeping up with this thread, but almost as much work as it was to build the guitar. I am however humbled and grateful for everyone's nice comments and encouragement along the way.

Now the worst part is waiting to pluck the strings of the creation I so lovingly helped coaxed into this world.

Last edited by nootis; 04-04-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:22 PM

You know, if the western boys want to promote their build offers, I would not object to them having your guitars at their table as long as the 3 builds do not make theirs look bad . That is up to Steve and Ryan. There you got my attention...I think the purple end wedge is what did it for me!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Student Build

Dan, you have the look of a journeyman luthier moving through all the stages of construction under Steve and Ryan's careful supervision. That's a great looking 00 guitar. I marvel that it gets to this stage in only 1 week. Glad to hear you're bringing it with you to B.I.G. in September. I look forward to checking it out up close.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
You know, if the western boys want to promote their build offers, I would not object to them having your guitars at their table as long as the 3 builds do not make theirs look bad . That is up to Steve and Ryan. There you got my attention...I think the purple end wedge is what did it for me!
Thanks Tom. The end wedge does it for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Dan, you have the look of a journeyman luthier moving through all the stages of construction under Steve and Ryan's careful supervision. That's a great looking 00 guitar. I marvel that it gets to this stage in only 1 week. Glad to hear you're bringing it with you to B.I.G. in September. I look forward to checking it out up close.
Thanks Doug. I'm glad I have you fooled. I'm the Leonardo DiCaprio of lutherie. However, I can't wait to let you try it.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, this was a blast. Tiring, but lots of fun. Dan, we’ll really miss you in our certain-to-be-lonely shop tomorrow. The guitar you built was inspiring to me, but it is the camaraderie and friendship developed through the creation of a musical instrument that is the best part. Thanks again for coming Dan, and when we get updates from Tony we’ll send them along. See you at B.I.G.!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-05-2021, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

What a cool experience and a beautiful little geetar you've built for yourself there, amigo!! Looking forward to your reading impressions once you get it back from the finishing process, all strung up and ready to play.

Till then, here's to withdrawal...
Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Looks great and what a fun week.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

So my little OO is back from the finisher and strung up, and it'll ship next week. I think Ryan will be taking some glamour shots of it today if all went according to plan. Here are some teasers...

And the best for last. I wished I could have been there! Both Steve and Ryan say it sounds great...

Old 07-02-2021, 07:11 PM

super cool
Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Very nice!!! Sweet looking 00 !!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 07-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Your 00 looks awesome Dan and what a fun experience building it with Steve and Ryan, congratulations!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Smile Way to Go!!!

Sweet little hot rod!

I really like the headstock backplate and matching tuner buttons, as well as the beautiful end graft.

You will be playing it real soon now.

Enjoy

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-13-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
super cool
Thanks johnnydobbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Very nice!!! Sweet looking 00 !!!
Thanks canuck7, I do say so myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Your 00 looks awesome Dan and what a fun experience building it with Steve and Ryan, congratulations!
Thanks Doug. I can't wait for you to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Sweet little hot rod!

I really like the headstock backplate and matching tuner buttons, as well as the beautiful end graft.

You will be playing it real soon now.

Enjoy

Paul
Thanks Paul. It all came together wonderfully, and to see it and actually play it.... I'm on Cloud 9!

I also posted a NGD in the General Section, so if you have seen it, this may be redundant...

The guitar arrived yesterday, and while I haven't had much time with it, my initial reaction is love at first strum. It has an amazing low end bass for such a small guitar, and mids and trebles come off clear and effortless. The warmth of Redwood and the overtones of the Rosewood reaffirms that I made a good choice in selecting tone woods that I love. The 12 fret short scale and the small size and overall feather-light build makes for an effortless playable guitar. I really couldn't be happier with the result, and to think that most of it came from my own hands (with some great coaching) only makes it that much more sweet. It is a guitar that I will forever hang on to, and I will forever hang on to the memories and friendship that forged while building it. Hopefully this is the first of many, for I plan on building another sooner than later. Weather wasn't cooperating with Ryan to take some glamour shots, but I was able to attempt to take my own this morning with my phone....

Old 07-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

That’s one nice looking 00….really like the simple elegant lines and wood selection…I’m partial to tops like this. Beautiful!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop