The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2021, 11:24 PM

Love your responses. It's like discovering unicorns.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-29-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:18 AM

Hi Dru

Long McQuade has a web page for RainSong guitars and their lead contact is the North Vancouver store. Your local store can tell you what is in stock where, and order from the factory. I noticed a CO-WS in stock Victoria and a CH-OM in North Vancouver. The CH-OM is discontinued new old stock a couple years old so might be easy to transfer and deal.

I like my H-DR/T dreadnought a lot. I played and liked the CH-WS, CH-OM, CH-PA in proportion to their size (my main interest is jam sessions and sing-alongs).

westcoastguitarsvancouver.com is a mom and pop store that also imports KLOS, Journey, etc for customers across Canada.

Synergyinstruments.com near Windsor/Detroit is a start-up working on their first few dozen sales. Their initial products are electric guitars, a thin body acoustic electric, and ukuleles. I have a uke on the way to see what's what. The parent company makes light weight carbon fibre hard hats and welding masks.

If you happen to be in the vicinity, Ted at LAguitarsales (an AGFer favourite vendor) lists 4-5 dozen from RainSong, Journey, KLOS, CA (new old stock), etc in stock. Guitarhanger.com in Connecticut on I-95 west of NYC lists a dozen Rainsong and Journey guitars in stock.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-29-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Love your responses. It's like discovering unicorns.
Agreed. I found out about composite guitars on this forum and I have two, a Rainsong and an Emerald X20.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:15 AM

I played a CF back a decade or so ago and disliked it very much. It was a major brand and it was not to my liking at all.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I was wanting a guitar to travel with, in our RV. I thought about a beater acoustic and my wife wisely reminded me I wouldn't play it if I didn't like it.

I saw an Emerald X30 for sale and took a chance. When it arrived, it sounded nothing like the prior CF guitar I had played, and very, very much like one of the best acoustic guitars I've ever played.

It was all very surprising and I still can't explain how they do it, but somehow they've cracked the code.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-29-2021, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Long McQuade has a web page for RainSong guitars and their lead contact is the North Vancouver store. Your local store can tell you what is in stock where, and order from the factory. I noticed a CO-WS in stock Victoria and a CH-OM in North Vancouver. The CH-OM is discontinued new old stock a couple years old so might be easy to transfer and deal.

westcoastguitarsvancouver.com is a mom and pop store that also imports KLOS, Journey, etc for customers across Canada.

Synergyinstruments.com near Windsor/Detroit is a start-up working on their first few dozen sales. Their initial products are electric guitars, a thin body acoustic electric, and ukuleles. I have a uke on the way to see what's what. The parent company makes light weight carbon fibre hard hats and welding masks.

If you happen to be in the vicinity, Ted at LAguitarsales (an AGFer favourite vendor) lists 4-5 dozen from RainSong, Journey, KLOS, CA (new old stock), etc in stock. Guitarhanger.com in Connecticut on I-95 west of NYC lists a dozen Rainsong and Journey guitars in stock.

Cheers.
I would add Avenue Guitars https://www.avenueguitars.com/collec...insong-guitars in Colorado Springs to the list...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-29-2021, 07:29 AM

Early '90s. A friend had an Adamas.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I would add Avenue Guitars https://www.avenueguitars.com/collec...insong-guitars in Colorado Springs to the list...
Avenue guitars owner has retired, his son still runs the business but focuses more on mando's, banjos and ukes I believe. Last I checked, they had sold off all their guitars.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Avenue guitars owner has retired, his son still runs the business but focuses more on mando's, banjos and ukes I believe. Last I checked, they had sold off all their guitars.
Sure hope you're wrong - my CO-JM3100NT is on order from them. Their website shows 11 Rainsongs in stock including a "New Arrival" of a RainSong 25YR Anniversary Special...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-29-2021, 08:22 AM

Relatively recent convert, I was looking for a smallish short scale guitar I could keep out of the case and handy. Pretty sure it was here that I first started reading about them but as has been pointed out, they are not easy to find and try in the stores. So when, this is in early 2016, I saw online that there were a few in stock at Elderly we headed that way on a whim. They had a couple Rainsongs and a Cargo. The Rainsongs were bigger models than I wanted but sounded great; when first shown to the Cargo I almost didn't try it out, so small it was hard to take seriously. Took it home instead.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sure hope you're wrong - my CO-JM3100NT is on order from them. Their website shows 11 Rainsongs in stock including a "New Arrival" of a RainSong 25YR Anniversary Special...
That's great news, I haven't spoken to them for 6 months, maybe changed their mind ??? I dealt with them a lot when I lived there. Top notch folks. Glad they still have the Rainsongs, looks like all the Martins, Taylors and Collings are gone.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Tom, I have yet to play or see a CF guitar. I've looked in the past but found nothing in the stores I've been in. Are you aware of Canadian stores that sell some or is it mostly buy from outside Canada?

Maybe ask AGF member philjs in Halifax about his Rainsong and Emerald.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Maybe ask AGF member philjs in Halifax about his Rainsong and Emerald.
That’s a good idea. Right in your backyard, Dru.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:08 PM

I ran into a Cargo maybe 9 or 10 years ago in a store. I was excited to try it as I had heard about Rainsong but never had tried any carbon guitar. Well, The Cargo got hung back up after about a minute. I then ran into a couple of different models of Rainsong in the wild. Have owned one since 2013 now.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I remember seeing Rainsong ads in Acoustic guitar Magazine probably around 2007-08. Also remember reading about CA Guitars. The first CF guitar I played was at a noisy guitar show in NJ, it was a CA.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM

In 2016, a friend sent me a link to the Blackbird El Capitan, made of their eKoa composite. It seemed intriguing, and like a good guitar to keep at the school where I teach, without having to worry about humidification, dings, etc. Of course, the cost was a factor against keeping it at a school with lots of kids around!

But it got me hooked on the composite idea. After looking around and doing research, I ended up with a Composite Acoustics GX, with a Fishman Aura pickup, which is now my main gigging guitar. I also play it at school, but schlep it back home when done... which, ironically, completely defeats the reason why I got interested in CF to begin with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber