The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Recording an Emerald?

Where do you place mics on an X7 to get the best sound when recording? Has anyone recorded in stereo? If so, where are the mics placed. And how does the result sound (not the playing, but the sound of the guitar)? This is important to me, because if I"m using the X7 to perform and write with, I'd like to be able to record with the same guitar because of the neck length. I really want a "one and only" guitar.

Thank you.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 AM

These are important questions for those who intend to record an emerald via microphone(s), I got some answers here from philjs:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...23&postcount=4
Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for answering domen. I read and will more carefully read what he wrote.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-10-2021, 09:29 AM

Hi Karen, It's very tricky. For instance, I thought that having studio monitors or good headphones would help with mic placement but apparently I was wrong (sort of). But that is for a different discussion.

Basically I'm in the market for a field recorder after selling my Zoom H2n and I'm piggybacking on your question because I'd like to hear answers as well. But I think it might help others answer your question if respondents knew more about what you are looking for in a recording:

What exactly is the scenario you want to record? A good, focused stereo image of just your guitar? A more spacial, live sound with room artifacts? The ability to do both?

What kind of mic, mic pre interfaces will you use?

Are you concerned about recording the Emerald in particular because of soundhole placement?
Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Steelvibe, I am concerned about recording an Emerald because of the soundhole placement. I am recording a full length album in my home, and then will bring to studio for mixing. I generally record my guitar in stereo. I am recording songs, not solo guitar. The studios I've recorded in before used a stereo set up. I have a matched pair of Oktava mics MK-012. I have a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre and a Summit Audio 2BA-221 preamp. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Steelvibe, I am concerned about recording an Emerald because of the soundhole placement. I am recording a full length album in my home, and then will bring to studio for mixing. I generally record my guitar in stereo. I am recording songs, not solo guitar. The studios I've recorded in before used a stereo set up. I have a matched pair of Oktava mics MK-012. I have a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre and a Summit Audio 2BA-221 preamp. Thanks.
I have recently read threads here that don't recommend traditional mic placement for recording Emeralds. I'll see if I can find them. You also might ask the studio you will have masters made how they think you should pre-record your music.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Steelvibe. I have spoken with the engineer before I started this project. So that's all set.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

This might be a question for Emerald. They're recorded a lot of guitars.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:24 PM

Hi Karen,

Mic placement for these offset-soundhole Emeralds needs, I think, to start with your playing position. For example, I play in a quasi-classical position with the guitar very high on my body, using a strap whether I'm seated or standing, and the neck extending up put the head at about my head level.

For a center-soundhole guitar the engineer put the "neck" mic on me (a tube LDC) at about shoulder level, pointed at the mid-point of the neck about 1/2 way between the neck/body joint and the soundhole. For the Emerald, he lowered the mic to below the neck, approximately in front of the cutaway, and angled it up somewhat to point, again, at the mid-point of the neck about 1/2 way between the neck/body joint and the end of the neck extension. The other mic, a sdc "pencil" remained pointed at the center of the body behind the bridge. Both mics were about 12" from the guitar.

Basically, I think he just moved it out of the "boom zone" and proceeded as he did with standard soundhole guitars. Hope this helps...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Phil for the information. And it does help. I looked on youtube, and there are a variety of ways people are recording emeralds. The placement for an X7 would be different, I imagine, than for an X30 or other Emerald.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 PM

Hi Karen, I don’t have an X7 but I do have an X20. I recently posted a thread on this topic for X20 (using mono recording, as my interest is capturing vocals + guitar on a single take).

Headline— the winning position was 6” to 12” from the guitar, right in from of where “the soundhole would normally be” on a regular guitar. That’s the place that is usually recommended to AVOID for acoustic guitar recording. But because of the offset soundhole, I found it it to be the sweet spot for my X20. 6” gives a little better vocal separation but 12” gives slightly better tone on the bass notes. Best of luck and happy picking to you!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks BlueStarfish. I will experiment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber