The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-07-2021, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Oh! This was really nice! Well done.

May I just say that you remind me very much of a younger Clint Eastwood when he sings, only you are considerably better at it?
Thanks Aimelie! What an intriguing comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysd View Post
I think you're doing just fine, Robin. Your performance was engaging and held my attention. Well done.
Thanks - that's a great confidence boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Awesome job Robin!!!

You have nothing to worry about. You will be well received no matter where you preform that song. Bravo

On a separate note would you please share your learning method for that song? I have recently focused more on flatpicking and that is one of the songs I would love to learn.
Thanks so much.

I heard the song first on the "Live at the Old Quarter CD". I worked it out sitting there listening to the track with a guitar in my hand. Townes must have been playing it from a C chord shape but once I had copied his version by ear from the CD as close as I could get I realised that I couldn't find a capo position from the C chord shape version to fit my vocal range.

So I worked out a similar style version from a G chord root and the riffs pretty much fell to the fingers from G,C and D. Then I found, after some experimentation, that capo 2 fitted my voice OK.

I noticed how Townes would play an instrumental verse then back off and play a simplified version to sing over - he seems to do this a lot on that CD. So that's what I did. And I noticed that he used a sort of rolling accompaniment behind his singing = basically using the flatpick to boom, chick, boom, hammer-on which sounded similar to the way that Woody Guthrie would accompany himself (at least from what I have heard listening to his CDs). So I stole a bit of Woody Guthrie!

I learned the lyrics by reading them and then having them on my phone to refer to throughout each day at the odd moments I was thinking about the song or reciting it in my head. I would sing the song to myself while out exercising on bike rides to get them really stored away well.

So I sort of just pulled that version together from those bits of info. Then practiced and practiced - often with a metronome.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-07-2021 at 01:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write